Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullpup advice

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Bullpup advice

Well time for another air rifle and this time a 5.5mm bullpup is on my radar. There are a few options I am considering but am not sure which way to turn as agents sales pitch is always the same .

The main things I am looking for is lightweight and pinpoint accuracy. I hope those out there who have used the bullpups below can provide advice based on your experience with them:
    1) FX impact
    2) Cricket
    3) Daystate Renegade
    4) Vulcan
    5) RTI priest
    6) FX wildcat

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I can vouch for the Wildcat. Superb balance, accuracy (JSB 5.52), it's quiet and the forward position of the cocking lever means it can be cycled on the shoulder without coming off aim.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I personally struggle with the bullpups - it feels as if I just cannot get comfortable with one. I bought one because I loved the compactness and so on, but now it is the least used of my air rifles. Before you buy, test drive one first and see if you are OK with them.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jakoos View Post
    I personally struggle with the bullpups - it feels as if I just cannot get comfortable with one. I bought one because I loved the compactness and so on, but now it is the least used of my air rifles. Before you buy, test drive one first and see if you are OK with them.
    I, on ve uvver hend Derren, prefer bullpups over standard-length rifles. I find shooting with them intuitive... almost an extension of my body. Positional shooting is so much easier, and in the field, there is nothing better for fast target acquisition.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have shot with a few of those, all great rifles. I do own a Priest and is very happy with it. Hard hitting and laser accurate. It is as accurate as any of the other rifles mentioned, only thing it is costs half or less even of some of the other rifles. Also you can change calibre in about one minute. I absolutely love mine and can't see it going somewhere soon.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Vulcan with side lever is really a great gun, with a proper barrel clean and maybe a mild cloth Lapp and you have a 1 moa at 100 yards gun.

the guns you mention all have premium features save the priest and renegade, yes I know that some will raise an eyebrow, but fact is that there are things missing from both the priest and renegade.

so the pulsar is a better comparison to the remaining guns, as it is electronically regulated at least.

the missing things are actually important only if you want supreme accuracy, the reg, hammer and valve tension should all be adjustable, so you can tune your preferred jsb for optimum speed at your altitude and temp and pressure and intended max range.

the Vulcan is compelling as it has all the FX features and adjustablity, a champion CZ barrel, high shot count and out of the box shooter, cheaper than all save priest!

the guns you mention are all high class machines, I have owned or tested all of them, unfortunately the priest lasted the sum total of 5 hours in my possession, the straw that broke the camels back for me was not being able to adjust the hammer tension, and the hammer mechanism itself.

if you plan to shoot at 25 m then they all shoot, 50m is where things get interesting, 100 and then your choice narrows very significantly, to the Vulcan...

call airgun nut and ask if you can shoot the works/shop gun, or if in PTA pm me to shoot my heavily tuned Vulcan!

if you can afford the guns in your list you owe it to yourself to consider RAW and the crown as well...

if if you can afford the guns in your list then you owe it to yourself to get a gun that has all the features out of the box, right now that seems to be the crown.

will let you know as soon as I have one or a smooth twist x barrel in my Impact!!

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Absolutely love my Cricket in 5.5.
    It grouped like a boss straight out of the box.
    The magazine holders are awesome (and should be standard on all PC-type guns, IMO.)
    It's consistent and doesn't shift; an absolute MACHINE!

All the premium bullpups are expensive-ish, but if I wanted another bullpup I'd buy another Cricket.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_F View Post
    Absolutely love my Cricket in 5.5.
    It grouped like a boss straight out of the box.
    The magazine holders are awesome (and should be standard on all PC-type guns, IMO.)
    It's consistent and doesn't shift; an absolute MACHINE!

All the premium bullpups are expensive-ish, but if I wanted another bullpup I'd buy another Cricket.

I also love your cricket. I can't miss with it.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have recently taken delivery of the updated FX Impact....it gets 5 yohs! on the yoh scale...

Came with 5.5mm barrel and extra large mag...18 shots...smooth...quiet...it is a machine...

I had a 4.5mm polygon barrel lying around....machined it...made a new 4.5mm probe for it...and tested it quickly this morning...

5 shots @ 20m(all i had)....early indications are looking very promising methinks....

took 5 minutes to figure out all the adjustments on the rifle....and the combinations are endless....

I think it is an awesome rifle....not quite a bullpup...more of a carbine....

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Open Champ '16
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '17
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Owned an FX Impact and RTI priest... sold both. Both in 5.5mm

Now have Daystate Pulsar in 5.5mm.

My humble opinion:
    RTI priest unbelieveble accurate for the price, this is the AK47 of airrifles, nothing much can go wrong, doesnít look pretty, but the accuracy makes up for it. Best priced gun with accuracy to boot. Not bad shot count, 80+ shots from 250bar to 120bar, shooting 16gr at 850fps. Robust and ideal for farm work and PC. Short and mobile. My personal rating accuracy 8/10, looks 4/10, magazines 2/10. Overal 6/10.

FX impact- had one of the first ones, lots of small quality errors in beginning, shipping parts an issue, Price BIG negative. You really donít need all the different power adjustments, takes time and money to figure out best combination. Smooth twist barrel unbelievably accurate and loves long distances, 480cc air bottle very handy, 100+ shots 16gr at 840fps. Negative = everything on this gun is expensive and build quality not in alignment with price, too many things can and will go wrong, from the grub screw holding the barrel to the cocking lever, I had to sort it all out. Will I love to have another one: YES please but not for that price. Later models more reliable. Great looking gun, easy to handle and nice big magazine. Farm worker? Too much money to use for farm work. Interchangable barrel means readjusting all settings and scope... Hated the extending shroud. Rating accuracy 10/10. Looks 8/10. Magazines 7/10. Overall 8/10.

Daystate Pulsar: Wow, Daystate never dissapoints, accuracy to boot, priced inbetween the RTI and FX. Mine is on power setting 2, (only 3 to choose from). Extremley smooth cocking and shooting, short silencer makes this thing whisper quiet even for a 5.5 running 850fps with 16gr. Shot count from 220bar to 120bar is 80+. Smooth magazine system, only 10shots and magazines are expensive, but the smoothest of the 3 guns. Gun slightly heavy but with synthetic stock you can easily lug it around for acouple of hours on the farm. Synthetic stock electrostatic and loves dirt...arghhhh. Smooth. Very smooth. Rating accuracy 9/10. Looks 9/10. Magazine 9/10. Overall 9/10.

Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RakerX16 View Post
    Well time for another air rifle and this time a 5.5mm bullpup is on my radar. There are a few options I am considering but am not sure which way to turn as agents sales pitch is always the same .

The main things I am looking for is lightweight and pinpoint accuracy. I hope those out there who have used the bullpups below can provide advice based on your experience with them:
    1) FX impact
    2) Cricket
    3) Daystate Renegade
    4) Vulcan
    5) RTI priest
    6) FX wildcat
    Last edited by Gertfrik; 10-11-17 at 09:36.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You? Humble?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gertfrik View Post
    .....Just my humble opinion.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Open Champ '16
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '17
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ek is eintlik ‘n skaam teruggetrokke introvert...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    You? Humble?? LOL

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    I have recently taken delivery of the updated FX Impact....it gets 5 yohs! on the yoh scale...

Came with 5.5mm barrel and extra large mag...18 shots...smooth...quiet...it is a machine...

I had a 4.5mm polygon barrel lying around....machined it...made a new 4.5mm probe for it...and tested it

5 shots @ 20m(all i had)....early indications are looking very promising methinks....

took 5 minutes to figure out all the adjustments on the rifle....and the combinations are endless....

I think it is an awesome rifle....not quite a bullpup...more of a carbine....
    hi Dallas what weight pellets abd type of pellets were you using in the 4.5 poly barrel and did you keep it the std 600 mm length

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

poly barrel is 520mm long...8.44gr JSB @ 780fps...

shot a few hundred pellets at NC today...AA 8.6gr @ 800fps...very happy
    with the poly barrel and the Impact....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Nice dallas