Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Field Target System concept

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Field Target System concept

I have been thinking about this for a wile now and would like to get your comments on this.

If this is a bit long winded please excuse me.

Picture this, you get to your FT shoot and after registering are allocated your NR and off you go.
    At your lane you find a little box with keypad and you enter your nr, when you are ready to start you simply hit the Start button (2 or 3 minutes whatever is relevant for the lane will be timed automatically and a alarm sounded when time is finished after this alarm no further scoring is possible.)No timers to carry around.

On a successful hit in the kill zone you will get an audible tone and if you miss you will get a miss tone. All rules are automatically applied by the FT system and all shots will be automatically determined and scored on a database, this will be available after the match with all shooters results.
    (P.S. Alan commented in a thread the other day he keeps on coming back for more due to the reactiveness of the target dropping when hit. Still need to sort out some kinks in my mind on this one as I would like to get rid of the strings for resetting, but I will work on this one for you Alan.)

Sounds Nice if you ask me.

So I done some more thinking and has sorted out the target monitoring and conversions in my head, there is still a lot of room for improvement and I must now get the time to put some prototypes together for testing. This will be the challenging part - finding the time.

And at last we come to the reason for my post.

As this will eventually be a system for FT enthusiasts it should be build by FT enthusiasts and I would put to you that we follow the same methodology as the "Linux open source concept" or whatever you want to call it - I am no IT boffin.

This would mean that the whole system is conceptualized and build in different parts by different FT enthusiasts as a contribution to the whole and is not owned by any one person or company.

I do not have the time available to do it all on my own, and my interest is not financial gain ,but I would like to see this come to being from the contributions of each and every person that freely want to contribute his or her time and knowledge for the love of the sport.

If you ask why then, it is very simple - firstly because I believe it can be done and second Hell wouldn't it be impressive to show of such a home grown system to the rest of the FT world.

So please let me have your thoughts on this if there is enough interest we can ask Spyker to create a section on the Forum dedicated to the creation of such a system.

If you think it?s a lame idea also great, You can come and see it in action in about ten years when I had the time to get to everything.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Remote reset and sound effects?

Quite a project. Once some ideas have moved from mind to pencil put them out there. There are plenty of lateral and linear thinkers amongst us.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There are a lot of entrepreneurs on this site, some genuine and some just want to make money, as quickly as possible. They will patent your well intended ideas and run with it, getting rich on your ideas. I've seen it happen.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Sounds totally feasible, if people are able to think with open minds. Obstacles are there to be overcome, I will defintely be in to assist where possible.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Sounds great - until it goes tits up.

Sorry, a pencil, a score card (these items still serve in top flight golf comps as well) and reset strings are still a first class system - don't complicate things that don't need to be complicated.
    Last edited by Dale; 30-06-08 at 09:53.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i think it will be great and will help where we can

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

agree with Dale...sounds great but is it really worth the effort and expense?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

not worth it in my opinion, the current system works great.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Technology is creeping more and more into professional sports these days. Whether or not it is a good thing still makes for a great debate. Case in point, take a look at how hawk-eye has revolutionised Tennis. It wont be long until hawk-eye tracks and records the movement of a golf ball. I doubt golfers of the future will be using traditional score cards.

Do you think we can get hawk-eye to tack the flight of the pellet and show exactly where it hit on the target?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Do you think we can get hawk-eye to tack the flight of the pellet and show exactly where it hit on the target?
    They are already doing that in 10m shooting guys. No reason why it can't be done in FT. I support the idea. If it is done properly it wll be more reliable and offer more information than we get at the moment.
    There is a reason why the top national and international 10m comps are all digital.
    In fact I think I might get my IT class to look at taking this on as a project later this year.
    Would go a long way to improving specatator appeal as well. Not to mention TV coverage. Ha Ha
    Can sit in one place and see how everyone is doing...even long distance...
    Big brother is watching you..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

how will you determine if you have hit the killzone with the whole pellet which will result in a knock down or if the killzone has been hit by a piece of the pellet which normally is a result of hitting the edge of the faceplate/reducer and this would not result in a knock over .....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I look and anything and everything with an open mind, but take everything into consideration.

I can't see that it could be a viable option due to the following reasons :

The cost for the developers, it cannot be cheap to set up such a system
    The cost for the clubs, if it's expensive for the developers it will be even more expensive for the clubs
    Maintenance, if it's electronic it needs maintenance (just like mechanical systems)
    Spares will have to be available, with a person qualified to fix it immediately
    Setup, if it can monitor / reset targets it will take TIME to set up and test, even longer than the current system
    If it links to a server (for example) you will need kms of cable, even if it doesn't you will need lots of cable

I installed and supported the access control system at the Cricket World Cup we had in South Africa a few years ago, a system that is now standing there wasting away, slowly but surely. This was a venture between Dimension Data and DexIT(DexData Technologies). It cost quite a few million rands to design, test, install and support.
    Why was the system installed, well because it was the World Cup and somebody else was paying for it - and SA was showing off (same will happen with soccer)
    Was the system practical, hell yes, it worked very well.
    Were there problems, LOTS, I can still hear the beep errors in my sleep, I still don't like cricket (and I loved cricket before the world cup)
    Why don't they use it anymore, because it's not cheap to run, it's not user servicable and they simply can't afford to have support staff at every game (at a huge cost)

Technology is a good thing, but it does come at a cost, and is NOT ALWAYS the right way to go, it can complicate the hell out of something that should actually be very simple (like the current FT system).

At this stage a faulty target issue can be resolved fairly easy and quickly, imagine failure of such a system, it could take a whole day.

Think carefully

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neilg View Post
    At this stage a faulty target issue can be resolved fairly easy and quickly, imagine failure of such a system, it could take a whole day.
    Think carefully
    only one day if you are lucky

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

As for 10m shooting,
    remember it's done in a controlled environment, all the targets look the same, are at exactly the same distance, weight nothing (paper), and its done indoors.

and also remember how much those systems cost to install, maintain and run.

FT is A WHOLE DIFFERENT ballgame

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is good to hear everyones point of view and this is why I posted the idea.

Those who know their electronics design will agree with me -The only reason electronics is unreliable is due to design and power supply issues, a very reliable system can be designed if the need is such. Face it a commercial design SHOULD break so as to ensure after sale maintenance and profit. If we design a proper reliable system with the purpose of requiring no "after sale" maintenance you also wont have entrepeneurs trying to make a buck from it as there is no support value for them in it.

True you can get very fancy with high tech but a lot of this can be achieved with low tech analogue circuits.

example is to detect whether the faceplate is hit even a fractional hit before the kill zone is hit. This can be done with 2 micro switches and a few logic gates.A bigger problem is knowing when a shot was fired and no faceplate or target was hit????

Way back in 90-91 when I did my electronic engineering I did a very similar type of setup with a 8032 Microchip and machine language.(will have to track down my old books and refresh the grey matter) This was way back when the Z80 was one of the first commercial computers.

Keep the criticism and ideas comming this is the best way of designing a good system If I dont comment on all please dont hold it against me I mean no disrespect but time is not something I have often avaliable but I promise I will read everything and try to keep it in mind.

I hope to be able to post the initial prototype results for the target side of things sometime in September.

Thanks to all the guys that offered help please feel free to add your ideaes and comments especially if you can add detail of how you think all these things can be acchieved.