Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A1 Grand Prix for air shoot

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default A1 Grand Prix for air shoot

I?m thinking of posting a tread regarding having an A1 type grand prix shoot for air rifling. I want you guise to start thinking in the line of who will be the best shot if the equipment was standard. Don?t go all ballistic just yet. Think this threw and well discuss this properly.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lol!

can of worms this one Cor.. 1st I recon the interesting thing will be which rifle the "A1" rifle will be. I know which will get my vote but then the other guys will bitch. Maybe we should make it a springer or something?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

If you look at the current GP log any of the top 5 will be a force to be reckoned with. The top 2 are in a league of their own. I think the top places would not change if every one shot the same weapon. A lot of the top shots already shoot with the same weapon in GP.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yup, I think Allan got it right. These blokes can shoot with anything.

Now what about a scope handicap system? The scope seems to be the best way to increase points. I shoot with a budget 24x scope, but if I came into cash I wouldn''t splash out on a race gun, but a big scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Interesting concept. A1 is less technologically advanced (on purpose) than their F1 cousins. The trick is to try and level the technical playing fields so that the difference between winning and losing is dependant on the human skill factor.

I like JTK's suggestion about having a springer, I would also standardise the following:

- Weight of the rifle
    - Brand of pellets to be used (single manufacturer)
    - Pellet weight
    - Muzzle velocity
    - Scope power (would be interesting to give everyone a 4x32 fixed magnification scope)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i think it is a good idea, all shoot the same type of gun and scope combo with the same pellet, speak to suppliers to give us all a good price (have to produce membership card of "a1" club to get discount) the membership money could also be used to subsidise discount

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I would also standardise the following:

- Weight of the rifle
    - Brand of pellets to be used (single manufacturer)
    - Pellet weight
    - Muzzle velocity
    - Scope power (would be interesting to give everyone a 4x32 fixed magnification scope)[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I have in mind. Every shooter uses the same gun standard or tuned the same , same ammo and scope. Then you will be able to see who the best shot is and not who has the best equipment. And before you put me on a cross and burn me I?m not saying all shoots must be like this.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Call it the "back to basics" league and have a shoot once a month - social thing where everyone has some fun

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cor,
    Are you talking HFT or FT? In FT you need high magnification. HFT is OK at any magnification.
    In BR they separate the rifles by weight and scope magnification. . Rifles are separated by weight of: +10.5 Lbs any magnification(Unlimited)or under 10.5Lbs. up to 12x magnification,(Hunter/Sporter Class) Springers with scopes or without scopes, any magnification and or weight.(unofficially)
    Pellets; you can choose which work in your rifle and you can use what ever weight you want. It is some times quite nice to see what rifles are dusted for these days, only to be replaced by an upgrade, once the bug has bitten and it mostly does.
    Last edited by gerrief; 30-06-08 at 14:28.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie, I think we shoot HFT style but with FT scoring.. Judge your distance shoot on mildots and only get points when she drops. 12flbs rule as well. Any scope is fine. You are not allowed to touch the scope through the shoot though. The guys with kick ass scopes will soon realise that cheapies work better due to their large focal range.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK,
    I hear you about the cheaper scopes. I know about people that use expensive, but low magnification scopes for HFT. People (sadists) that set the ranges with 20mm KZ, at goodness knows what distance, will definitely pull the arse out of the chicken for you or any newbie, any day.
    It is nice to shoot at a decent KZ at a fair (read realistic)distance without all the techno jargon.
    AFA scopes are concerned I range at 50x but shoot at 10-20, so the field of view is not too bad. You will be surprised to see how quickly you get used to finding the target at high magnification. I have heard of hunters that now also use high magnification when hunting because they got used to the fact that their "Automatic Direction" ability put them on target very quickly. Practice makes perfect!
    I saw a fellow the other day that a shot the smoke out of all of us, with our fancy rigs and all. He uses an old rifle that he has been shooting with for many years, but knows it intimitely (Looking at the condition of it, it might be too intimitely.) It takes all sorts to make the world go round, as they say in the classics.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

you are right.. I think what I want to say is, and this is from shooting my springer after putting it down for a month, that a guy that is an above average shot but shoots with the same apringer that we let him shoot with in the A1 may just supprize and kick some hardcore FT shooter's ass, just because of that reason. The HFT rules will level a playing field significantly. A guy that sits on the farm and shoots at pigeons may end up kicking butt because he can look at the target and know exactly where to shoot. Where as the FT guy trusts his scope to tell him where to shoot.. May be very interesting indeed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

For HFT I would remove my lynx immediately, big scopes are useless if you can't dial. Leapers 3-12x44 gets my vote.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I meant Parralax! oops!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Call it the "back to basics" league and have a shoot once a month - social thing where everyone has some fun
    Think that is a great idea. Have had a request like that from members here that are not ready to partake of the rarified air at FT level. Think pellet choice should still be up to the shooter as some rifles may not "like" the pellet of choice but others might. so not entirely fair. Anyone with a springer will tell you they have a favourite pellet for it.

Also had a request for a " 4 piece shoot"

Pistol at 10m - paper targets - 5 shots
    Open sights or "peep" sights at 10m - paper targets - 5 shots
    Springer at 15m (max 6 x scope) - spinners or silhouettes - 5 shots
    Springer at 25m (max 6 x scope) - Knockdowns - 5 shots
    Time to count - ie best score in lowest time wins.