Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: WFTC 2019 - England: World Field Target Championships

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrews View Post
    It is my dream to have a permanent FT range of 50 target that are always up.
    For what its worth, I wouldn't automatically advise a 50 shot course for a club.

Simply, whilst 50 shot courses are OK for major events, I believe that for club shooting a well designed 40 shot course will offer everything a 50 shot course offers in terms of target variation, but is marginally less onerous time wise for weekly shooting and general training. A 40 shot course is enough to be challenging but not overly intimidating and requires a bit less space (and less targets obviously).

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

It's finding the piece of ground close into town that will determine the amount of targets. I do believe that 40 can work just as well 50 for club and training.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Mike, in your defence, I don't recall that you suggested we join the closest club. I was my choice, if memory serves me correct.

It would be wonderful to grow the sport to the same level that it enjoys in the UK. A very enjoyable and relaxing sport - just you, your rifle, the target and the #%$& wind.
    The wind, IMO, makes this so enjoyable. Hitting the target with every shot at a sheltered range quickly becomes boring.
    Last edited by Phats; 13-08-19 at 14:40.

Cadet

User Info Menu

It's finding the piece of ground close into town that will determine the amount of targets. I do believe that 40 can work just as well 50 for club and training.
    You would be surprised just how much can be crammed into a little space and also what is needed to get started.

I started the Mendip FT section within a clay shooting ground back in about 2000 and with advice from Nick Jenkinson I laid out a 25 shot course down a 70 yard section of hillside (from top to bottom) shooting from a tree line towards a boundary fence, all of this on farm land... in fact there were still sheep grazing the land for the first 6 months and we had to drive them off to practice. The original targets were mostly made, by me, from roofing plywood with metal discs around the kill apertures. We had a few good shoots on that course and no one ever cleared it, not even Nick or Dale. As funds came in from shoots the course grew. These days there are 60 targets available on a permanent 40 shot course as we have two 'competition' targets per lane plus an extra, the firing points have moved back (into the field) by a yard or two but any target we want further than 45 yards has to be a diagonal as the land is only 45 yards deep, imagine a long thin rectangle, that would be the layout in plan view.

At another club (recently closed) we had a well spread 40 shot FT and separate 40 shot HFT course all easily contained within 6 acres of woodland. We were able to host 50 shot Grand Prix shoots.... at least we were until someone kicked up a fuss with the landlord, which is why the club is now closed.

As for distance, the Mendip club is 30 miles from my house and the closed Avon Hawks a little closer, the land dictates the distance travelled, but that's just the game.

I currently practice around once a week plus monthly league shoots plus Grand Prix shoots. If I get a place to shoot the 2020 Worlds I will need to up that practice, but not beyond the point of fatigue, go there and you are just wasting pellets, as you are shooting but not learning.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Neil,

Good to see you on the SA forum.

You are quite correct about how much can be put into a relatively small space.

As you say the Mendip course was always challenging even though it felt quite a compact layout. Another course that achieves much in a relatively small area is North Petherwin.

It is not so much a matter of overall space, rather being as ingenious as is possible with the space you have available.

Or putting it another way, size doesn't matter it's how you use it..........................

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the course we had back in 2006, woody & wet. :-)

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well it may snow here in August 2020 but somehow I doubt it. Those who went to Worlds 2019 are still washing the mud from their kit

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well it may snow here in August 2020 but somehow I doubt it. Those who went to Worlds 2019 are still washing the mud from their kit
    Stranger things have happened. It rained Day 1 South Africa 2009

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    Finally somebody got a clue. Scores now in proper sortable table format

The person with the clue was the same person with the clue all along. Brian Samson. He's the person that wrote the entire system from the very first time an RGB logged on to book right onto final results the being published. He made it all mesh with our website which was open for registration with all the info on September 1st 2018.

What happened on Friday evening during WFTC 2019 was a double lightning strike which took out the national power grid to about 1/2 of the UK population including transport, rail and the internet. At the time we didn't know that and we thought the server was getting too much load. That meant that from Friday evening we ran off our backup on-site server. We were able to function, but because we couldn't connect to our London servers (which also run sites like the BBC etc) we couldn't update via that and had to proceed down a different fork. This meant we were committed to publishing the results in a certain way, and then because we had done that it then took additional work to recompile them for use on the website in the manner we'd originally intended.

Some of the UK (ie us on site) had access to some parts of the net which ran backup from other locations around the world. Unfortunately we didn't have that sort of redundancy (because it costs a lot and brings it's own problems) It was however restored about 4-8 hours after it went down. Considering vital UK infrastructure was knocked out by the fault it's questionable how much we could have done and how cost effective that would have been. We did however had more on-site servers should one go down and backup of data offline and online each night.

Live scoring is a nice idea but it takes more than just say 100 odd (or in our case probably 200) waterproof tablets, a meshing wifi network to cover the whole ground and power facilities to recharge them. There's basic issues involved like how do you check scores etc as people are putting them in as they go live and then afterwards. For a field of 300 you're talking 15000 data points every day which have to be verified as you are publishing, or else you could be showing incorrect scores... ok so you could say they're unofficial but...

For WFTC 2019 each score was triple checked and entered in under 30 minutes from the last score leaving the course, and the shoot-offs could then start. Yes it would have been great to see that run more smoothly over the 3 days, but live scoring would have suffered the same issues.

As for the live video, same issue. Easy to say, much harder to deliver. But hey it's a challenge you've set yourselves for WFTC 2020 and it would be great to see both happen.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robf View Post
    What happened on Friday evening during WFTC 2019 was a double lightning strike which took out the national power grid to about 1/2 of the UK population including transport, rail and the internet.
    I would interject that such an occurrence is highly unusual in the UK.

From experience with Eskom though............................................ .