Thread: Steady speed increase

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

Default Steady speed increase

In the graph below you will see a steady speed increase in the cleaned poly barrel. What is causing this? Does the barrel seal better as it get leaded or does the friction reduce as the barrel get leaded?

In the graph below it, is my standard barrel (LV) rifle which does not do it.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I don't know what causes this, but I have noticed this on a lot of Steyr barrels. After cleaning the speed drops by about 30fps and the slowly increases again with every shot. What do you use to clean the barrel. DW40 or ?

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    What do you use to clean the barrel. DW40 or ?
    He uses elbow grease, and quite a substantial amount at that.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17
    MOT: Steyr Sport Service South Africa

User Info Menu

It is a common thing that your speed drops once you clean the barrel.
    the speed should return to normal within 5-10 shots.

If it is still increasing then there is another problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I don't know what causes this, but I have noticed this on a lot of Steyr barrels. After cleaning the speed drops by about 30fps and the slowly increases again with every shot. What do you use to clean the barrel. DW40 or ?
    I use Ballistol, but then I pull it bone dry before I shoot it. Definitely no oil left behind after I have pulled through 12+ patches. As Voodoo said - lots of elbow grease maybe, but no oil. Total SS - yes then there must be a problem, but what is it? The rifle took 80 shots to settle out after two fills on a short cylinder which give me 40 shot from 200 to +/-120 bar. The total string was shot with 5 fills - 200 shots.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Probeer een keer met WD40 skoon maak, dit is wat Steyr in die fabriek gebruik. Vandat ek dit gebruik is my spoed baie die selfde voor en na skoonmaak, maar ek trek net 2 of 3 lappies deur, nie so erg as jy.

User Info Menu

Thanks Cor. I will try it out.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17
    MOT: Steyr Sport Service South Africa

User Info Menu

one possible problem, but rarely the case is that the reg does not return to the correct pressure between shots. after each shot the reg starts to return to the set pressure but does not reach it before the next shot, and this might drop the pressure again over and over.

try fire a shot at a consistent 3min interval and plot the speed, if it is now constant then its the reg, if still climbing then try firing after 5 min. if still climbing then there is something else, maybe the cleaning as Cor mentioned. the reg is one of the last things to go so I must agree with Cor on the cleaning check. it does not hurt to test the rebound of the reg.

for those who are going to say something about the speed going up and the reg pressure down. think a little as to why this is the case. if you would like to know why then say so and ill explain it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Folks,

What is the average spread that you get from your Steyrs?

Mine is less consistent than I expected with it being regulated, but then again, i`m not too experienced and not sure what to expect really. ( and also probably nit picking)

I always thought WD40 was a no-no on an airrifle? Or, is that only for internals, where the internal grease etc would be removed by the WD40?
    I think i might try cleaning my barrel with it as well to compare to your tests, that is if you wouldn`t mind posting your results, JuniorK.

lekker

-bertus

SAFTAA FT Colours '15

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bertus86 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Mine is less consistent than I expected with it being regulated, but then again, i`m not too experienced and not sure what to expect really. ( and also probably nit picking)

I always thought WD40 was a no-no on an airrifle? Or, is that only for internals, where the internal grease etc would be removed by the WD40?
    I think i might try cleaning my barrel with it as well to compare to your tests, that is if you wouldn`t mind posting your results, JuniorK.

lekker

-bertus
    Bertus
    Steyrs is genyg om 'n groot (relatief) spreag te he. Dit se nie hulle is nie baie akkuraat nie. Jy kan maar gerus WD40 gebruik om die loop skoon te maak, dit werk baie goed en dit beinvloed nie die spoed te veel nie.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Bertus,

My experience with the Steyrs has been a variation of 15-20 fps over say 50 shots * sometimes less shots) is not uncommon with pellets from the tin. Maybesome of it is my crony??
    Wrt the WD40, perfect to use on the externals ( and barrel) of the rifle. Dont get any in the port or work on o-rings. Some say the mechanical parts should be dry, so don't overuse there.
    Enjoy your Steyr ��

Quote Originally Posted by Bertus86 View Post
    Hi Folks,

lekker

-bertus

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Gents,

i`ll fool around, borrow a chrony and just make sure that Im not bluffing myself. ( when shooting over a chrony at our league shoots, i noted that the shots vary between 3-5fps from where I set it. it could be more though..can`t remember exactly, but not as "consistent" as i thought a reg would make it.)
    Will test after a good clean as well.

will add my findings to this post ..maybe something could be learnt from this, or atleast be something nice others could compare their findings with.

JuniorK, i din`t know whether this is useful to add to your situation, but i did find that skirt sizes made a huge difference in my pellet speed ..by 30fps (faster).. that would be from my current batch that I`m shooting from. Previous batches didn`t do this..or that badly..or good..i don`t know haha

These pellets fell shorter into a bic pen ( got stuck higher up in the beginning) and were weighed (this just tells me that the skirt are wider than other I shot with previously)

Note that i did not shoot a whole string over a chrony, so i do not know whether the speed went up or down or stayed more or less consistent as time went on.
    will check this as well.

Did you wash your pellets perhaps? Maybe "dirty" pellets foul up the barrel quicker, thus causing more "stickier" pellets in the barrel, causing higher pressure and increased speed perhaps?

Weereens, dankie vir die raad!

-bertus
    Last edited by Bertus86; 28-11-17 at 20:04. Reason: being silly