Thread: Brocock Compatto 5.5mm

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Brocock Compatto 5.5mm

Firstly I said on another thread that the Compatto that I received had a leak by the probe, I didn't know if it was the o-ring or wrong probe for the rifle.
    I take all I said back!! It was the coupling nipple for the QD, I didn't realised that the probe has a shorter thread than usual, then wasn't providing a proper seal and the air was gushing out from the thread not the gun - I just put a fatty o-ring in and problem solved. I like to thank Eugene from Airgun nut for the awesome customer service provided.

About the rifle, at first impression, as I open the box, my thought was, wow it is really compact, as they said on other reviews, it is between a Carbine and a bullpup. Picked the rifle up, it is really light weight, slim and very comfortable to handle.
    It has full floated shrouded barrel, with no baffles inside, just an air stripper sealed with an o-ring and measure 18" in length, total length of the rifle is 34".

The under barrel air cylinder can be filled to (recommended) 200 bar, providing 30 shots at full power and 90 shots at minimum power, that's where I started disagreeing with the factory specs (or maybe is just my rifle), I did 20 shots at full power, 10 with 15.43gr pellets and 10 with 18.89gr pellets, from 190 bar to 170 bar, there for I guess that I can get more than 30 shots per fill.

Moving to the accuracy, it is like a laser sharp accuracy, in par with one of my favourite rifle the Kral puncher breaker evo marine bullpup, that is really accurate at 25/30mts by then, I started to get excited, 5 shots on a beer bottle top lying flat on a brick at 24m with 15.43gr pellets

hit all 5 on target

another 5 with 18.89gr pellets

Lovely, I happy with it so far. Moving to the bolt action, it cycles very smooth with little effort to cock the gun, no "scratchy" feeling, the bolt handle is long enough to be held with 2 fingers while pulling back to cock the gun, I am very happy with that.

The trigger, it is a 2 stage adjustable (I haven't adjusted mine), very smooth and predictable and the best of all, the slingshot mechanism is very quiet compared to the Kral and other rifles that I own, very impressive, the hammer striking the valve doesn't make much noise either, no spring sound, just a "twanging" sound (like a ping) which I believed can go away with a regulator installed.

Moving to the dovetail rail, the rifle comes with an extra mount attached over the breech rail in case you mount a large optic scope (50/60mm) and is removable, nice touch.

To the build quality, ummmm, I haven't disassembled the rifle to see how it looks inside but overall looks very good and well made. The stock, that's where they fail in my opinion, the stock is plastic, feels a bit on the cheap side, the stock on the Kral feels much stronger, robust and sturdy, on the Compatto,it feels a bit thin, especially at the forend, if you wiggle the rifle on the bipod, you can see the stock kind of twisting a little bit. Not very impressed there. It has a 5cm picatinny rail that you can mount a bipod and still have space for a torch or other accessory.

Here is a pic with the Compatto and the Kral for comparison of length without a second stage silencer and with

Brocock Compatto

Once I fitted the second stage silencer, my reaction was WOW this thing is quiet!!!, I believed is due to the trigger system, it's quieter than the Kral. Very impressive, specially that I shoot a lots in my backyard and I need a quiet rifle to not trigger the neighbour's dogs synchronized symphony of barking.
    I forgot to mention that it has 3 adjustable power settings, which the little nob doesn't correspond to the stages accurately, another minus on the build and QC.

Overall, I am very happy with the Compatto, accurate, quiet, enough power to take to the bush for some pc and get dog and cat food and of course to slaughter some beer bottle caps throughout the day whole day.
    Update: Shot count at full power, from 190bar to 120bar 36 shots

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I too am a fan of the Compatto and would agree with the majority of gfighter's points. I disagree with his assessment of the stock material. Yes, it's synthetic and as such does feel strange compared to traditional wood but it is very solid in use and made from a ballistic polymer, they say. The slightly wobbly fore-end can be cured by simply inserting a sliver of foam between the air cylinder and the stock; this settles it well but does not stress the air tube. The trigger is sublime, almost the equal of the Weihrauch 'Reckord' unit. The let off is light and predictable. I find the cocking effort heavy but done swiftly and smoothly the magazine works flawlessly as long as the pellets are sated deeply enough to be caught by the o-ring. Insert them too shallow and they can drop backwards and bind the mags function. I do not use this rifle on a bipod and find the Picatinny rail section uncomfortable in the lead hand when carried muzzle down but this can be addressed by purchasing a cover to slide over it to complete the profile. Much nicer!
    This a rifle which is compact but not cramped in use, accurate, quiet and versatile. There are still (at time of writing) quality control issues which should make Brocock blush to the roots of their hair but they do fix the problems quickly. I am based in the U.K. so rogue Compattos go back to the factory usually at Brocock's expense. In S.A. you should buy from an RFD you have confidence in to test the rifle before buying. Frustrating if you get a 'lemon'; but worth persisting with.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I do agree with you on all the points that you made, yet I still think Brocock should address the stock play, comparing to the Kral for example, it's plastic/polymer but very sturdy and no need of sleeves on the cylinder, it's just an observation that can be easily correct. Don't get me wrong on that, I love the rifle, more and more specially it's accuracy and the trigger, the slingshot mechanism is amazingly quiet, it became one of my favourite rifle in my collection.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have just got my Compatto, and have put about 30 shots through it. First 15 were at a reduced pressure, did not have the charging probe, when this was delivered, and charged to 200bar, boy oh boy, is seems to be a track driver with JSB 18gr.
    Cant wait to go out into the veld and try the rifle at different settings and ranges. My back yard is rather cramped at approx 18m, but lotsa fun
    Good shooting to all

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Got my Bantam yesterday and took a couple of shots before dark.
    I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Shot a group the size of a R5 Coin at 22m straight out the box, I am sure the group will tighten after I give the barrel a proper clean.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Also just got myself the Bantam 5.5 and must say, its a very well made piece of kit!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Burger View Post
    Got my Bantam yesterday and took a couple of shots before dark.
    I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Shot a group the size of a R5 Coin at 22m straight out the box, I am sure the group will tighten after I give the barrel a proper clean.
    Hi Danie
    Did you install a regulator for the Bantam or not?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi, Yes I did.

I will chrony the gun this weekend and also see what the shot count is.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi

Ok so I went to the range on Saturday and shot the Bantam, I was overall very impressed and it is a really nice gun.

While trying to properly zero the rifle I noticed that pellets was spiralling and shooting all over the place. (Was quite worried at this stage)
    Then a guy from the club suggested I take the silencer off and try again and that sorted the grouping problem, but guys this little rifle bark
    quite loudly without a silencer so I will definitely recommend a silencer.

Ok, so we found out what caused the grouping issue and on further inspection we noticed that the pellets were clipping the baffles inside the silencer.
    I contacted Eugene (The Agent) told him of the problem, sent him a couple of pics and he is sending me other baffles.

Another thing I noticed was the filling, my fill station said it is at 250 bar, but the regulator gauge (Gun Pressure) did not want to go higher,
    I then proceeded to leave it a bit and slowly but surely the gun fills. (I think this is a built in feature to prevent people from just opening the cylinder to quickly,I kind of like it to be honest)

Otherwise I am very happy with my purchase and will give more feedback on the groups, once my silencer has been sorted.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I also got my Bantam on Saturday, and must say I am enjoying this gun!
    I like the feel of it, and general quality very good.
    Magazine very solid and crisp decisive progression.
    I was also told once you fill it, if you wait few seconds, it will drop slightly on the gage, and then you fill it little more.

Still want to experiment with the bullets - used the JSB 18gr at 25/50/100 and consistently was looking good.
    Wind was blowing a bit, but grouping was actually not bad. Had to get use to the scope Marcool (FFP) - great scope, just me needing to get use to the settings)

I am getting someone to help me set the trigger slightly more sensitive (just personal preference based on what I used to)
    With next outing if wind is slightly better want to see what grouping I can do at 50m