Thread: New to Airguns

Cadet

User Info Menu

Default New to Airguns

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a air rifle. I'm fairly new to the sport, though I have shot in the past, but never owned a proper air rifle myself. I'm looking for something that is well made, good quality and accurate which delivers a fair punch and it needs to be fairly silent as I intend to also shoot pest around the house, mainly EAIs.

Average distance I would be shooting at home will be probably be about 20m.

Initially I was looking for a air pistol which will be able to take care of the EAIs, however friends have advised me to rather look at purchasing a rifle. I do have a love for shooting, and would like to explore this a bit more as a hobby also, and I would like to start going to the range for the occasional target practice and skill improvement.

What would your recommendations be:
    1. Have I tossed out the pistol idea to early, if so what should I be looking at? (this would then be for the PC only option)
    2. I have set a provisional budget of R5000, as I have seen some second hand rifles being advertised in this price range, is this sufficient to start off with?
    3. I envisioned purchasing a .177 rather than a 5.5mm, do you agree?
    4. What velocity is good for long range accuracy (i.e 50m)?
    5. What rifles would you recommend within this price range, and is the budget sufficient for a second hand rifle?

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

Buy one of those spa pp700 pistols

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Weihrauch hw50s. There is one here complete with scope and silencer for R5500.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome to the airgun addiction. My opinion is to try out a few rifles, most of the advice I saw on the forum was to first test drive a few rifles and then ( after being bitten by the bug) decide on what and how, etc.

My son and I started out with a Gamo Cfx and now have quite a few rifles and pistols.

We also do some PC and being in Bloemfontein we get a lot of opportunities to do what we love most.

There are so many gurus on this forum that will give you the best advice.

Just remember to have fun.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I would suggest you look at a rifle for first buy as it gives you a wider field of use.
    Take your time to check the options out. Patience is a virtue but do your homework and be ready to buy when a good offer appears.
    .177 is a good choice as there is a miriad of pellet types, brands and weight available to find the best for your rifle.