I'm looking at purchasing a air rifle. I'm fairly new to the sport, though I have shot in the past, but never owned a proper air rifle myself. I'm looking for something that is well made, good quality and accurate which delivers a fair punch and it needs to be fairly silent as I intend to also shoot pest around the house, mainly EAIs.
Average distance I would be shooting at home will be probably be about 20m.
Initially I was looking for a air pistol which will be able to take care of the EAIs, however friends have advised me to rather look at purchasing a rifle. I do have a love for shooting, and would like to explore this a bit more as a hobby also, and I would like to start going to the range for the occasional target practice and skill improvement.
What would your recommendations be:
- Have I tossed out the pistol idea to early, if so what should I be looking at? (this would then be for the PC only option)
- I have set a provisional budget of R5000, as I have seen some second hand rifles being advertised in this price range, is this sufficient to start off with?
- I envisioned purchasing a .177 rather than a 5.5mm, do you agree?
- What velocity is good for long range accuracy (i.e 50m)?
- What rifles would you recommend within this price range, and is the budget sufficient for a second hand rifle?