Thread: Laser designators

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Laser designators

So there's true night vision systems, and there's IR flashlights with cameras and then, then I saw on the www there's a laser designator (aka laser flashlight) that throws a dispersed (but focus-able) laser beam and is usable combined with a normal scope.
    Has anyone here any practical experience with such a setup? Are they worth it? Or just a gimmick?
    Cheers

Last edited by fucius; 20-12-17 at 20:33. Reason: spelling

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

This is probably the biggest piece of junk ever conceived.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    This is probably the biggest piece of junk ever conceived.

The genuine ND3 from Laser Genetics, or the Chinese knockoff? Or both?

If both, then please elaborate as to why it is junk.
    I ask, because a few months ago we shot an HFT round at night. Normal scopes with just a buddy standing behind you with a flashlight aimed on the target which had a piece of reflector tape stuck to the dropaway part.
    This worked well.
    So, if you could have a dedicated light mounted on your scope, pointing directly where you're aiming, all the better.
    Now if that light is focus-able, does not blind a person, is not detected by some/most animals, reaches further than a normal light source, and lights up everything in brilliant clarity, then surely it must be worth it?

I'm open to all opinions, but mostly would like to know if someone here has 1st hand experience of using one of these.
    Thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a Vector Optics MAGNUS green laser designator, it is perfect for shooting at night with a scope up to 50m. I have it mounted on my scope. It lights up the target sufficiently to use the optics. It has a remote pressure switch as well.
    I am very happy with it.
    I am importing Vector Optics products, so you may think that I am biased, it's my opinion based upon personal experience. For R2000.00 it is a budget night shooting solution.
    SCGL-07 Vector Optics Magnus
    Green Laser Flashlight 35-50mW Green Laser, Full Metal, Build-in Weaver Mount, Beam Focus Adjustable, with 30/25.4mm Scope Ring Adapter,Cable Switch

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post
    The genuine ND3 from Laser Genetics, or the Chinese knockoff? Or both?

If both, then please elaborate as to why it is junk.
    I ask, because a few months ago we shot an HFT round at night. Normal scopes with just a buddy standing behind you with a flashlight aimed on the target which had a piece of reflector tape stuck to the dropaway part.
    This worked well.
    So, if you could have a dedicated light mounted on your scope, pointing directly where you're aiming, all the better.
    Now if that light is focus-able, does not blind a person, is not detected by some/most animals, reaches further than a normal light source, and lights up everything in brilliant clarity, then surely it must be worth it?

I'm open to all opinions, but mostly would like to know if someone here has 1st hand experience of using one of these.
    Thanks
    I suppose horses for courses really.

If you want something that lights up an FT target nicely (or anything else inanimate), then these are fine. If that's the case, however, I would rather invest in a high-quality LED torch from Mark Loudon at Torchguy.com. He will know EXACTLY what you need. Far more versatile, and you can add red and green filters according to your preference.

If you think that these GREEN things are any good for hunting, then you have been deceived by the wolf picture with glowing eyes. If you are intending to do anything with any form of stealth, like poaching, assasination of evil political figures or spying on your neighbour's hot 21 year old daughter as she takes her nightly open air shower, forget it.

These things have a signature of note which says 'Here I am!' to anything and everything with eyes, for miles around. I don't know of anything that 'can't see green light' and won't be spooked. It spooks my dogs.

The fixtures that come with the ND3 are also extreme junk - and it's supposed to be a premium product.

The only way to go for night shooting of things that see and bleed is IR. Even that has limitations, as geese (as an example) can see IR light. I think Feral pigs can see IR too, but I stand to be corrected.
    Last edited by Bludlust; 23-12-17 at 08:29.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. Really informative. Makes for better decision making, thanks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use mine to point out gerbils, Rats etc shot with the Nitesite, in order for a second person to locate it for pick up..
    Though it doesn't seem to be noticed by porcupine, springbok, blesbuck, eland, rabits and the odd wild cat we have on the farm, but it does make you stick out like a sore thumb for the rest of the world to see your location.
    I'll soon try it on vermin (Jackal & Caracal) in NW. but to be honest, Maxdex or Nite site as a cheaper alternative to ATN or the like is a better option if you want to shoot at night with low recoil guns.
    my only gripe with the Nite site is the constant adjustment with zoom , Paralax & frequency when scanning for pests. but I guess you cant have your cake & eat it.