Thread: Looking at buying my first pcp

Cadet

User Info Menu

Default Looking at buying my first pcp

Good day everyone

I'm quite new to the pcp world and would like some advice. I'm in the market for a pcp rifle that would mainly be used for bird hunting (In Botswana bird hunting happens between April and September with the purchase of a permit) and includes everything from doves to spurwing goose.

Hunting usually happens over distances of around 25-30m. I've shot with the Benjamin Merauder and Benjamin Discovery and can't fault these rifles except that they don't seem very common in the Southern Parts of Africa.

What should I look for in a rifle? I've searched the Web and it seems like there is alot of debate between accuracy and hitting power/ft/lbs. Do I want a straight projectile (assuming .177 or something with more hitting power .20 or .22)

The rifle doesn't necessarily have to be quiet as my closest neighbour is around 3km away.

Seeing that this is my first pcp I'm looking at spending around R10000-R12000 hopefully with the necessary accessories to get going. And maybe in future then looking at getting something more decent.

Also there is no laws against hunting with air rifles in botswana as long as you purchase your yearly permit it's quite a common practice for the local people to hunt for the pot. Mostly with springers though.

Kind regards
    Wynand

REP: VariTurn Air Rifle Inc.
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Lostinbots,

First off welcome to the never ending story of air rifles and PCPs in particular. You have been quite specific with what you are looking for, Your budget for a complete setup is a little on the slim side so you need to watch the sales thread closely. Go back a few pages there. I am going to break it down as I see it.
    1. PCPs need air so the dive cylinder and filling station are your priority in cutting the cost of the whole rig. DiveTec sells 2nd hand 300 bar cylinder so budget is R 4000. Because you are in Bots, go for a 10 or 12 liter 300 bar tank. Less filling up as I don't know where you are going to get a dive shop in Bots. Last time I checked the delta is not very deep.
    2.For and PC work, shot placement is the most important. So accuracy is paramount. I am going to get flamed for discussing PC but you need to know what you need.
    3, For accuracy you need good glass. You are on a budget so look at the Discovery 6-24 x 50. Nice clear glass and you can get from Rashaad for R 2 500.
    4, Now we have spent R 6500 out of your budget and you have R 5500 left out of your R 1200
    5. The 1st rifle is the one that either makes you enjoy the sport or its on sale the week after you have bought it.
    6. With whats left, Artemis in .177 or SP10 or 12 in .177. You may have to add some bucks.
    These and a couple of others are the cheap ones that are reasonable accurate for what you pay for. You will get some fair advice on your topic buut a little research will go a long way to help make up your mind.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

CK my apologies for replying to this post here , I know it should strictly be in the other forum.

Hello Lostinbots , and welcome to the forum.

Here is my 2 cents worth of advice for what it is worth.

Caliber , I would go for the 5.5mm , as it is a better all round caliber for your purposes , particularly if going after the larger species.

Mike's advice is sound , but in my opinion , if you go the PCP route it will not be necessary to buy a compressed air cylinder (dive cylinder) at the outset , you will be able to get by just fine with a good hand pump , although it will mean more work in pumping the PCP up to full pressure.
    You may also find it difficult to find someone in Botswana that has a suitable compressor to fill the dive cylinder.

Also at the distances that you specified (25 to 30 meters) , in my opinion you will be able to get by with a good set of open sights , thus no added expense of a telescopic sight .

Personally , I would go for a good springer in 5.5mm caliber , It will be far less trouble and hassle to use in the field , you will only need your rifle and a pocket full of pellets to lug around , and you will not run out of air at a critical moment .

But whatever you decide on getting , enjoy it.

Cheers.

Cadet

User Info Menu

Hi thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about maybe buying a springer but then I've been introduced to the sport with pcp's. I've done quite a bit of shooting with the Marauders (Discovery and Benjamin) and really enjoy the idea of having a a backup round available in my magazine when necessary.

As for using a pump I don't mind using a pump as we hardly shoot more than 10 rounds in an outing. (Bird hunting here involves viewing elephant on foot in the Haineveld so it's not just the hunting it's more of an outing I'd say)

I've looked at the Kral puncher maxi 5.5 and can get one for a decent price. I just can't find any real views on it for what I would like to use it for.

I will continue to look at the classifieds and when I'm in Jhb in January maybe go to one of the shooting clubs and speak to some people, maybe hold some rifles and see what's out there.

Kind regards
    Wynand

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Wynand
    Here is my 2 cents worth
    Ive been shooting PCPs for 4 years now
    and Ive owned numerous PCPs
    If you like the Benjamin Marauder
    Go to Pelletgun.com
    Speak to Peter or Samantha (Owners)
    They are the Benjamin Agents in South Africa
    They keep the Range of Benjamin PCPs
    They are also the Kral Agents in South Africa
    Im sure they will be able to help you out with what you are looking for
    (011) 967-9930‬
    No 7 Lennox Road
    Benoni North
    South Africa
    I would 100% go for a 5.5mm, for PC purposes
    having owned and shot both springers and PCPs
    I personally would get a PCP
    for many reasons: power,accuracy, no recoil, consistency etc
    Just be careful, a decent hand pump costs almost the same amount as a dive cylinder (R4000 to R5000)
    You then also need to buy a filling station (R1600 to R2000)
    And you will definitely have to buy a Scope
    (R2500 to R30,000.00)
    As one of the other guys said,this really doesnt leave
    you much money to buy a PCP
    you will definitely have to try and up your budget
    Hope this helps you
    Last edited by PCP Fan; 25-12-17 at 22:36.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Last edited by crab; 31-12-17 at 22:19.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Id go with the Webley!! Very good guns indeed!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    Id go with the Webley!! Very good guns indeed!!

Webley is a rebranded Hatsan. Not that that's a bad thing in the OP's price range.

Cadet

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the replies. By tomorrow I will probably be the owner of a Condor SS .55mm. It comes with the scuba bottle. I found a place in Maun that can send the bottles down to Gaborone for refills.

I'm sure I will bug everyone a little when I hold it in my hands on the first of February. Now to count the sleeps haha.

Regards
    Wynand
    Last edited by Lostinbots; 15-01-18 at 06:57.