Thread: Stock oil

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Stock oil

We all seem to have our own preference when it come to what oil to put on a stock. I know mine was purely based on being told what to use. Have you ever read what the label on a bottle of Schaftol reads? Rub down with vinegar or water the next day, as the Schaftol contains no drying agent this will help it dry. Well in 10 years of having air rifles, if Kevin never pointed that out to me a week ago I still would be cracking on regardless of instructions.
    Now Tru oil on the other hand has got a drying agent in but gives a different effect to the finished product (shine as opposed to matt).
    I always like the reddish colour Schaftol but also liked the shine of Tru oil after seeing Wayns FT rifle that at that stage had about 27 coats of Tru oil on....WOW beautiful!!

So I have mixed the two in equal part (small amount) and applied it to a piece of scrap wood, will let it dry till tomorrow and see what the outcome is. If all goes well I might have created the perfect stock oil for my rifles.. will follow up with a pic or two in a day or two.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thin mixture with mineral turpentine soaks into the wood quicker

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Good to know, this mix I made seems to stay a sticky mess.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    Good to know, this mix I made seems to stay a sticky mess.

From what I have seen/noticed Tru-oil likes to be used on its own on a virgin piece of wood. That being said I dont think mixing them together is going to work. But I stand to be corrected so please let us know how it comes out.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My father maxes raw linseed oil with beeswax. Heat the beeswax on a low heat till it starts to melt, add raw linseed oil ( +- 50% of beeswax volume). Stir and let cool down after everything has mixed well. And you have made your own london oil according to my father. I am no expert but it gives a nice shine and protects the stock. It is very easy to do repairs to the finnish of a stock if you only apply this mix on a stock without any other lacquers, varnishes or stains. That is if you like the natural look of the wood .

If the stock gets a scratch (by accident obviously) then you just sand it lightly and apply a couple of coats of your london oil and within a short while the colour will blend with the rest of the stock. With a stained wood it is very difficult to get it back to the original look, for me anyway.

My 2c. I just like the natural look of wood.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Oooh, one of my fav topics..... Stock finishes.

My personal experience with beech wood stocks:

- Sand nice 'n smooth,
    - Stain,
    - 0000 steel wool lightly, then
    - 3 to 6 times BOILED linseed oil depending on how thirsty the wood is,
    - 0000 steel wool in between each oiling which is about 24hrs,
    - adjust stain if necessary and steelwool again,
    - the apply the following mixture, steelwooling after each application after ~24hrs = Mixture: 56% thinners, 33% Woodoc 50, 11% boiled linseed oil. Apply repetitive coats until it looks like a good clear lacquer finish.

This finish is akin to Tru-oil.

Enjoy

Next I would like to try an organic traditional staining method.... Will post if successful.

Sorry for hijack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Man with no name View Post
    My father maxes raw linseed oil with beeswax. Heat the beeswax on a low heat till it starts to melt, add raw linseed oil ( +- 50% of beeswax volume). Stir and let cool down after everything has mixed well. And you have made your own london oil according to my father. I am no expert but it gives a nice shine and protects the stock. It is very easy to do repairs to the finnish of a stock if you only apply this mix on a stock without any other lacquers, varnishes or stains. That is if you like the natural look of the wood .

If the stock gets a scratch (by accident obviously) then you just sand it lightly and apply a couple of coats of your london oil and within a short while the colour will blend with the rest of the stock. With a stained wood it is very difficult to get it back to the original look, for me anyway.

My 2c. I just like the natural look of wood.
    Yes, this wax/oil combo is a good sealing and protection medium, but if you need a penetrating job 1st, then nothing beats thinners mixed with a stabilizing medium such as a polyurethane or oil-based sealant. The thinners really carries the stuff into the core where you need it long term. Higher molecular weight media such as wax only afterward

Marksman

User Info Menu

Very informative. I am not good with wood. Steel is much easier, mistakes can be rectified with ease.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well at the end of the day I applied, 3 coats of Schaftol and let it dry for 5 days, wiping with white vinegar after each coat had stood for 24 hrs. Then over a period of 4 days I applied 4 coats of Tru oil and let it dry for a week. Polished it up with Birch wood Casey stock sheen and polish and then a coat of Birch wood stock wax. Looks and smells great.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Pics?