Thread: Beaten up Hatsan Model-70

Cadet

User Info Menu

Default Beaten up Hatsan Model-70

Good day all
    So yesterday I bought a Hatsan Mod.70 on bidding battles for R730 has seen better days but still recoils like a mule and I think the velocity is still above 700fps. The front sight has broken off and the rear sight is still standard. Want to find out where and if I can get new truglo sights, also want to smooth out and polish the piston chamber and piston itself and fit new seals etc. Maybe replace the spring as well. Basically refurbish the whole thing. Needs a scope mount stop as well. Then the trigger has some play moving from left to right. Maybe paid a bit too much, then again you win some and you lose some. So in other words I need some spare parts and advice. Beleive its still a gem if given some attention. I can get a gamo 30mm red dot sight for a reasonable R250 but later ill surely fit a nikko sterling scope with double mounts and some magic to prevent the scope from moving.
    Last edited by Kwassie; 06-01-18 at 10:33.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

Send it to Nick he tunes them nicely

Cadet

User Info Menu

Do you perhaps have more info for me?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hello Kwassie and welcome to the forums.

The older Hatsan rifles are well built , strong and durable and can be fixed up quite nicely.

Forget about the idea of fitting a scope to these rifles , they are notorious scope killers , rather retain the open sights or fit "peep" sights , I speak from experience.

Spares are probably hard to find and you may have to "maak 'n plan" as far as sights and other spares are concerned.

If you absolutely MUST fit a scope , the rifle will have to be detuned drastically , which rather defeats the object.

You will hear stories that these rifles are wildly inaccurate , this is not true at all , these rifles just take a lot of hard work and practice to shoot accurately , you will have to use heavy pellets and learn to master the trigger , however it CAN be done.

Just don't spend a lot of money when fixing the rifle , Hatsan's are and will always remain "rough diamonds".

I say go for it.

Cheers.

Cadet

User Info Menu

Thanx for the advice, had a model 55 wood stock a few years back with a winchester 3-9x30scope fitted and it was a gem and accurate indeed. But I will remove the sights on this model very neatly and stick to the gamo 30mm red dot sight, think it will be my best option. Then just service the internals and see what n can do about the trigger play from side to side. Have a friend in sasolburg who can get me most of the internal parts and seals. Have a blessed 2018