Thread: Field Target and 'gadgets'

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default Field Target and 'gadgets'

Quote from Total SS on the WFTF 2017 thread:

"There were many shooters who said that having a windicator makes you lazy and inhibits your wind reading abilities. Wian spoke to John Costello and asked him what he did to prepare for the Worlds after his two year break and only having three months to prepare. John told Wian that he put in trigger time and that he shot without a windicator, and only put one on for Worlds. Read between the lines, we need to start using the environment as our indications as to the wind".

Whilst I haven't shot FT for a few years now, I would strongly agree with this. Dangling a bit of string or whatever off your rifle is not going to make you a better FT shooter. The only real way to understand how to shoot in the wind is to shoot in the conditions and learn how to read it based on the environment in which the targets are laid out.

During my active years in FT, I noticed that it is very easy to get caught up in the idea that all manner of gadgets will lead to success, to be honest very few will give you any real benefit.

The only gadget that I consider an essential is a spirit level to prevent canting, other than that many other items can just be smoke and mirrors distracting you from the job in hand.

In the videos from the Wales event former three times WC Nick Jenkinson made a very valid point - practice, but make sure your practice is quality, not just quantity and practice your weaknesses not just your strengths.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have been shooting a bit this holiday, but the area is a bit tricky with the wind. I sit next to a building, shoot past a open piece, then past a building into an open area. I have noticed that the wind is totally different at my rifle than close to the target at 50m. Eventually I removed my windicator and just used the string to try and read the wind. Unfortunately there are no indicators as in long grass etc that I can use to read the wind. The next few leagues I will shoot without a windicator and see how it goes.
    Dale is totally correct to say a spirit level is very important.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Cor, it would be unusual for a proper course to have no features at all that can be used to read wind.

For your practice area why don't you get hold of some natural items, perhaps a few pot plants or similar and lay them out to simulate course conditions to assist with wind reading.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I have been shooting a bit this holiday, but the area is a bit tricky with the wind. I sit next to a building, shoot past a open piece, then past a building into an open area. I have noticed that the wind is totally different at my rifle than close to the target at 50m. Eventually I removed my windicator and just used the string to try and read the wind. Unfortunately there are no indicators as in long grass etc that I can use to read the wind. The next few leagues I will shoot without a windicator and see how it goes.
    Dale is totally correct to say a spirit level is very important.

Even Wurm runs away when you mention 'wind' shooting. Esp. after a good curry!

Happy new year Big Boy!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    [I]Quote from Total SS on the WFTF 2017 thread:

Whilst I haven't shot FT for a few years now, I would strongly agree with this. Dangling a bit of string or whatever off your rifle is not going to make you a better FT shooter. The only real way to understand how to shoot in the wind is to shoot in the conditions and learn how to read it based on the environment in which the targets are laid out.

During my active years in FT, I noticed that it is very easy to get caught up in the idea that all manner of gadgets will lead to success, to be honest very few will give you any real benefit.

The only gadget that I consider an essential is a spirit level to prevent canting, other than that many other items can just be smoke and mirrors distracting you from the job in hand.

In the videos from the Wales event former three times WC Nick Jenkinson made a very valid point - practice, but make sure your practice is quality, not just quantity and practice your weaknesses not just your strengths.

[/COLOR]

What he said!

I did find that standing around with a windicator attached to my rifle gave a good idea on 'prevailing' conditions, on which to base a direction of thought/decision when shooting.

Have a great year Dale!