Thread: Assistance Required

Cadet

User Info Menu

Default Assistance Required

Hi guys

I am new to the group (and to air rifles) and would really appreciate if I can get some assistance / input from you.

I recently bought the SPA M22 Jackal and need some advice on the following:

Scope
    1 What manufacturers (and models) of scopes would you recommend (budget is R2000 to R4000)
    2 What magnification should I consider?
    3 How important is the Adjustable Objectives
    4 Is it important to have a scope that is Fog Proof given SA conditions?

Tank
    I have opted to rather go for the dive tank than the Hand pump. The Max Fill spec states 250 Bar for the SPA M22.
    1 Do I go for the 232 or 300 Bar tank
    2 What Charging Adaptor will you advise to go for and which supplier (Quality and Safety important)
    3 Do you fill the rifle to Max capacity or less?

All feedback will be welcomed

Rgds

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What is the intended purchase for the scope? If not for sport shooting what will your targets be and which distances do you plan on shooting?

Cadet

User Info Menu

Hi Riaan

Primarily for Sport Shooting and occasional PC.
    Distance will be 10 - 40 m.

Marksman

User Info Menu

are non fog proof scopes availabe ?
    for max. 40m i would choose 12-16 max. magnification
    only a 300 bar tank makes sense because you can charge the rifle always to the max. pressure rating. usually the safety factor is 1,5 or 2 higher rated
    and because its regulated it has no sweet spot for example between 120 - 180 bar. you usually can shot down from max pressure down until the regulator set point.
    on my m10 the reg. setting is 50 bar only and its working fine with extremly constant v0 and 16ftp - many pellets going through without charging

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

My 2 cents worth:

Scope
    1 What manufacturers (and models) of scopes would you recommend (budget is R2000 to R4000) Look at the Discovery or Marcool range. Good bang for your buck
    2 What magnification should I consider? Personal preference. I like PLENTY magnification, so for me it would be 6-24X, others would be satisfied with3-9X
    3 How important is the Adjustable Objectives. VERY if you go with the higher magnification scopes. Try get side focus if possible, more convenient
    4 Is it important to have a scope that is Fog Proof given SA conditions? I think most 'modern' scopes that are Nitrogen filled will be 'fog proof'. Used to be a selling point, think it is more the standard nowadays

Tank
    I have opted to rather go for the dive tank than the Hand pump. The Max Fill spec states 250 Bar for the SPA M22.
    1 Do I go for the 232 or 300 Bar tank 300bar all the way
    2 What Charging Adaptor will you advise to go for and which supplier (Quality and Safety important). Anything sold by one of the reputable dealers will be OK. Not good business if their cash spending customers blow their fingers and other bits off
    3 Do you fill the rifle to Max capacity or less? See what works best for your rifle. As it is 'regulated' it shouldn't make a huge difference. Not a great idea to always fill to the MAX, especially if it is going to stand full like that for a while. best not put the safety factor to the test by putting your max filled rifle in the car, in the sun, during this heat wave we been having as an extreme example

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I absolutely hate AO scopes for general sport use and PC.
    The only real advantage with OA you get is with sports like FT where ranging apply, ridiculous long long distance shooting and maybe benchrest where thousands of an inch parallax shift is important. For all other applications I find AO scopes only annoying and irritating at best. The problem is nowadays AO on any garden variety scope seems to have become the standard for some unknown reason which I personally suspect is all about marketing hype and the money.
    So for general sport shooting and PC I recommend a non OA scope in variable power like 3-9 or 4-16 would be great. If you end up with an AO scope learn to live with the fact that you will constantly fiddle with the focus as you move about shooting various ranges.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    I absolutely hate AO scopes for general sport use and PC.
    The only real advantage with OA you get is with sports like FT where ranging apply, ridiculous long long distance shooting and maybe benchrest where thousands of an inch parallax shift is important. For all other applications I find AO scopes only annoying and irritating at best. The problem is nowadays AO on any garden variety scope seems to have become the standard for some unknown reason which I personally suspect is all about marketing hype and the money.
    So for general sport shooting and PC I recommend a non OA scope in variable power like 3-9 or 4-16 would be great. If you end up with an AO scope learn to live with the fact that you will constantly fiddle with the focus as you move about shooting various ranges.
    Interesting....I use a 3-9x4 AO on my LGV and never ever change anything, zeroed on 25m and I make shots up to 60m easily, even shots under 10m..............

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If you set your AO to 25m and it is still in focus at 60m then you have a kak quality AO scope har-har!

But seriously, your eyes is perhaps 20 years younger than mine so you can probably see clearly through the bottom of a consol jar right now. Wait for it young Jedi your time will come.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Cheap scope yes, my eye are crap, reached 50 already...

Cadet

User Info Menu

Thx Keith for the detailed feedback. Really appreciate.