Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer for HFT

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Springer for HFT

Good day, some advice needed on getting a springer for hft shooting. I have my mind set on a hw97. But because im new i dont really know about other rifles in that range that is equally as good for better price or equal.. Please advise.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi. The hw97 is absolutely brilliant. I have one and love it. However there are some other really good springers that will work well. Most of the bigger weihrach(spelling?) rifles will work. Hw50 and up. The Walther rifles are really good. The LGV etc. This is by no means an entire list there are many others. Just be careful of some of the Chinese rifles and all of the rifles advertised with ridiculous muzzle velocities (anything over 1000fps). They can't hit the side of a barn

Marksman

User Info Menu

Where did you buy you hw97 if i may ask. I'll definitely stay away from the Chinese.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I bought it here on the forum on the 2nd hand section from haggy. He also has a hw50 for sale incidently which I saw and tried. Shoots very nicely. Have a look at the 2nd hand section. Some good deals

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I recall the old Rosenthal's (think it is now Suburban Guns) in Cape Town had some in stock last year. Might still be in luck.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

HI, are you that guy that came to visit us at the WP HFT Champs?

I started with an LGV Challenger the best decision I ever made. The had a LGV competition Ultra which I sold and living with the regret to this day (@AndyT). My personal opinion would be to look for any of these in .177 in no specific order - Walther LGV/LGU, AA tx200/HC or HW97.

Contact Jacowp on the forum, he might have one that is setup and tuned for HFT. Or contact Darryl Meyer at Safari and Outdoor, his on the forum as well, his handle is Jakkals but I am not sure how often he logs in.

hehehe...and so it begins
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-01-18 at 13:42.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    HI, are you that guy that came to visit us at the WP HFT Champs?

I started with an LGV Challenger the best decision I ever made. The had a LGV competition Ultra which I sold and living with the regret to this day (@AndyT). My personal opinion would be to look for any of these in .177 in no specific order - Walther LGV/LGU, AA tx200/HC or HW97.

Contact Jacowp on the forum, he might have one that is setup and tuned for HFT. Or contact Darryl Meyer at Safari and Outdoor, his on the forum as well, his handle is Jakkals but I am not sure how often he logs in.

hehehe...and so it begins

Hahaha yes im that guy. Will give Darryl a call. Is this the safari near stelenbos?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes, that is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajbalie View Post
    Hahaha yes im that guy. Will give Darryl a call. Is this the safari near stelenbos?

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '16

User Info Menu

Rosenthal in Town used to be the Weihrauch agents but gave up against the competition.

They have sold off all of their PCP's but may still have an HW97 or so in stock.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'd also consider the newer T06 trigger version Dianas, like the Diana 280.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ajbalie View Post
    I have my mind set on a hw97.
    The HW97K is a good rifle, the Air Arms TX200 is another good rifle, however, there is a 'but' with both of these rifles - out of the box they will both need work to get the very best out of them. The 97 is still very 'old school' and lacks a forward spring guide (top-hat) and is often poorly lubricated, the TX200 has too much piston stroke to be a really good 12 ft.lbs rifle (12 ft.lbs being the power limit for FT). They can both be sorted but that costs a lot extra.

I would say for the best out of the box performance the Walther LGU in its 16 joule format takes a lot of beating for the money.

Protea FT Team '18
    REP: MB 3D Printing Services
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Speak to Gert, Both his springers are for sale(if im recalling correctly) , LGV in a gorgeous laminate custom stock, his TX200 also in a absolutely wonderful custom stock.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

the HW97 is also very heavy. but some people prefer a heavier rifle.
    Personally love mine. the Rekord trigger is a gem.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

HW97 - TX200.

You cant go wrong with either. They may need a cleanup (plenty of online help) or a cheapish drop-in kit.

Both rifles will exceed your ability if they are setup half decently.

If you buy second hand for a reasonable price, You will get your money back! and then you can buy a different springer and join the ranks of forumites who regret ever selling that one special airrifle.

Avoid cheap and nasty airrifles(purposely not mentioning brands). Several beginners try buy a cheap airrifle and then spend money tuning it to the point where it is still not as good as a decent brand. Fastest way to lose money is putting lipstick on a pig
    Last edited by HawkI; 10-01-18 at 19:03. Reason: added section

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice guys. It will certainly be between the tx200/hw97 / LGU.