Thread: .177 VS 5.5mm

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default .177 VS 5.5mm

I am sure this is a topic thatís have been covered in depth on multiple occasions but here we go again.

As most of you know I am in the market for a new or used high powere PCP rifle.

The latest issue to enter the equation is the caliber. My heart was set only on a 5.5mm as I have only ever owned a Hatsan AT44 .177 in the past, and always wanted a 5.5mm but I have no experience shooting one.

I always thought that the 5.5mm was just a larger pellet that delivered larger impact but after doing much read I am discovering the shoot of the 5.5mm is completely different regarding the trajectory of the pellet vs the .177 being more of a straight line trajectory while the 5.5mm have more of a curve or bent trajectory. I am lot to sure how I feel about that. As I have no experience with that

1. If I go for a 5.5mm I would need a mil dot scope for accurate long range shooting. I believe you will need the mill dots for any shot over (35 - 50) meter out from what I read. I plan to do some long range plinking. Always been a fan of the longer range shooting and would like to master this skill (regardless of the caliber, so that will be a important factor in my devotion as well. (sniper style lol)

2. Again from what I have read you are limited to choice when it comes to 5.5mm ammo I have also read you normally get half the quantity of pellets for almost double the price of .177 but I am not too sure how accurate that statement is in South Africa

3. I will be doing some minor PC with the rifle but it wonít be at long range due to the importance of good shot placement and accuracy. Shooting humanely is important to me. Thatís one of the reasons I thought 5.5mm would be better due to the greater energy transfer to the target but if it comes at the cost of accuracy I am not sure. Main PC species would be pigeon and rats on sugarcane crop farms. I am looking into cane rats as well, but considering the size of the vermin I would need to evaluate if the rifle is suitable. (I stay on the KZN South Coast and I am surrounded by sugar cane farms)

I am really torn here guys and would really like so advice from shooters who have experience in both calibers. So I can make the most educated choice possible.

One of of the reasons I love the Condor is itís interchangeable barrels, so you can have 2 calibers in one rifle. But I am not really a huge fan of the fact itís a single shot rifle. I am not sure If there are other rifle with the same capabilities. And is the single shot really such an inconvenience?

I am looking forward to our replies and thanking you in advance for your knowledge input.
    Last edited by Citizen K; 04-02-18 at 00:28.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You're correct - this topic has indeed be discussed to death on air rifle forums world-wide. There is no discreet answer to your quest.
    I suggest you dig into the tons of online discussions. It's a personal crusade. Figure out which apply to your situation, weighing the pro's and con's according to your own value system. At some saturation point, simply plunch in and get the airgun that tick your boxes at that stage. For some, the information saturation point arrives in hours, for others in months.
    Only once you start shooting it will you really find out if your decision was optimum.
    My 2c.
    Last edited by kettieklip; 04-02-18 at 07:34.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Bottom line is that the 'loopy' 5.5mm trajectory is only true for the 12fpe power limited guns in the UK: same power with heavier pellet = much slower velocity = loopy trajectory. If shooting the heavier 5.5mm pellet at the same velocity as a lighter 4.5mm one the opposite is actually true due to the better bc of the 5.5mm. As said above, there's piles of info about this in the archives of this forum.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Lets confuse the issue. Considder 5mm "Best of both worlds"

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

You cannot go wrong with 4,5mm.

If the rifles power can be adjusted you have a wide range of 4,5mm pellets that you can shoot at optimum / best BC.

0.177 Exact 8.44gr 0.547g = 800fps @ 12fpe. (10km/h crosswind = 2.393cm drift @ 25m)
    0.177 Heavy 10.34gr 0.67g = 722fps @ 12fpe (10km/h crosswind = 1.702cm drift @ 25m) -1,69cm
    0.177 Heavy 10.34gr 0.67g = 878fps @ 17.7fpe or 24J (10km/h cross = 1.620cm drift @ 25m)
    0.177 Heavy 10.34gr 0.67g = 933fps @ 20fpe (10km/h crosswind = 1.671cm drift @ 25m)
    0.177 Monster 13.34gr 0.87g = 770fps @ 17.7fpe or 24J
    0.177 Monster 13.43gr 0.87g = 819fps @ 20fpe or 27.16J
    0.22 RS 13.4gr 0.87g = 820fps @ 20fpe
    0.22 Express 14.3gr 0.93g = 794fps @ 20fpe
    0.22 Jumbo 15.8gr 1.03g = 755fpe @ 20fpe
    0.22 AA Field 16gr 1.037g = 750fpe @ 20fpe
    0.22 Heavy 18.13gr 1.175g = 705fpe @ 20fpe

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCZ View Post
    Erm, no.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCZ View Post
    Again, only true if equal power output, such a UK legal limit guns

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes .20 best of both worlds!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Wow thanks for the information especially the part about the loop only coming info a more noticeable effect on a 5.5mm rifle below below 12fpe.