Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing pellets S400

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Testing pellets S400

Hi guys.
    Bought my s400 about two weeks ago and I'm verry chuffed with how it shoots.
    However i got a tin of AA Fields with the rifle and thats all i ever shot. Decided to spend the dough and get a couple of different pellets and do a shootout.

Today was my wifes stork tea and i decided that i'd take my 3year old to Safari in Lynwood.
    The boy went crazy for all the stuffed animals but screamed in horror when we went too close to the lion....afterwards he was brave and claimed "ek sal daai leeu boks pappa"

Well i went upstairs and got myself a tin each of aa fields 4.52, jsb exact 4.52 and 4.53. I asked for lube but the dude said they do not have....bummer. On my way home i stopped at the hardware looking for silicone spray...they didnt have anything but q20 so I gave that a skip.

I really wanted to wash and lube the pellets...as one does according to youtube....so i went online and was looking for alternatives....pledge furbiture spray came up and i unpacked the kitchen cupboard but only found floor polish. So the search continued. Later I stumbled across a site saying that coconut oil could be used...i knew we had some somewhere and once again i set out on the quest to find some lube. An hour later i found some and started washing and lubing the pellets.

When my wife came home i wanted to shoot but it started raining. I could have done it tomorrow bit i got a gap in the weather with no wind around 8pm. Used a torch to illuminate the target at 45m and we were shooting

I put down 2x5 shot groups of each pellet.
    I had to put the scope on max magnification to see the targets and it wasn't easy holding the crosshairs in the middle. Will try again tomorrow.

So wich one would you say looks the best. The last couple of shots there was a slight breeze blowing
    From left to right....aa, jsb 4.52, jsb 4,53

Should have left it on my target stand
    ...looked much more defined there

One thing that youll notice is that the Jsb 4.53 consistanly shot a bit higher than the other two.
    Can that be because of a tighter fit in the barrel leading to more pressure build up behind the pellet thus creating more velocity???
    Last edited by Blink Stefaans; 10-02-18 at 21:22.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Interesting that you want to wash and lube the pellets. Don't bother with that. The S400 is an awesome rifle & good grouping. I have done a test on all those pellets with my S400 a while back and decided to go with AA. Those 2 brands are very similar, but I found that jsb lead are softer and therefore have more damaged pellets towards the end of the tins. But both are very good pellets though. With my test AA had a 10mm higher POI than JSB at 40m

Administrator

User Info Menu

When my wife came home i wanted to shoot but it started raining. I could have done it tomorrow but i got a gap in the weather with no wind around 8pm. Used a torch to illuminate the target at 45m and we were shooting
    I think it's safe to say you have a bad case of 'BuksmalŠ

Marksman

User Info Menu

I am enjoing shooting this gun. Doing it in my backyard and the reduced cost compared to centrefire rifles is a big plus.

So 'BuksmalŠ is probably the right diagnosis

Marksman

User Info Menu

'BuksmalŠ seems to be a legit disease. I still scout second hand rifles everyday about 20 times and don't understand how some rifles only has about 1000 pellets through them. That means I will have to sell my condor now, because I've done about 1000 pellets in the last week.
    One times scuba bottle empty.

It is however extremely addictive, and after watching George Shooting Club doing hft shooting yesterday I foresee quite a few expenses in the future.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Don't bother washing, back in the day I did it religiously for a season only to realize that my AirArms is indifferent to washed/non washed pellets as long as I feed it JSB Exact, Crosman Premier and Gamo Pro Magnum (yes them Pro Magnum actually groups very well out of my AA). Nowadays I wash only the Crosman Premiers (using benzine) and for the only reason that they are really dirty out of the box.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Did find some residue left in the bowl after washing the pellets....wasnt much effort so i think ill continue with wahing them.
    Got a chrony this morning and the s400 is running a bit hot. Starting at about 785 and then seteling at 820fps...how do one adjust the power down a bit??

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The right-hand side of the action, in the area of the breach, there's a screw going 90 degrees to the barrel, this is a restrictor screw, note it has a cap or blocking screw and then a 1,5mm grub screw inside, turn clockwise or IN to reduce power.

As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't shooting competition ext with power limits, the 820Fps on 8,44 is really nice for field work but that's personal opinion.

Also, the speed increase you recorded is normal, its how the bell curve of shot velocities looks... simple solution... when your gun reaches max speed, read the pressure off on the gauge and in the future only fill to here, also when you notice a constant drop in velocity stop shooting there.

This pressure range is called the "sweet spot" typically on an S400 it's around 165bar down to 110 or 100 depending. filling to 190 or 180, you'll start off low.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Markus.
    I do want to shoot competitions in the near future. So i need to get the gun to max 12fp.
    And doing it now will alow me to get used to thw trajectory.
    Found the screw. Luckily its just an alan cap and not one of those that needs a special tool. Took it out and turned the grub in half a turn. Will have a look tomorrow to see if it needs more adjustment.
    Will turning it down affect shot count??

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Not that I know.... Its just slows down the airflow, you aren't adjusting the actual amount.. Just the flow rate if I'm correct

Marksman

User Info Menu

Shot itnover the chrony today.
    From 170 bar fill till 110 bar when the power started going down.

Heres an excel chart i drew up...first time doing it so ita not as cool as some of the others ive seen.

Avarge speed 813.34fps
    ES 22.33
    Highest velocity 822.2 shot 58
    Lowest velocity 799.9....and that was shot 34!!

Got the advice that actualy weighing the pellets will help with that es
    How much difference in velocity does a 10th or 100th of a grain make??

Marksman

User Info Menu

This graph was donw with the aa fields
    Will do another one with the two jsb's today

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Probeer vir 'n spoed van +-777fps, ek het nog nie 'n S400 gesien wat nie baie goed groepeer daar nie.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Probeer vir 'n spoed van +-777fps, ek het nog nie 'n S400 gesien wat nie baie goed groepeer daar nie.
    Amen.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Did another chrony string today.
    First i filled the cylinder to 150bar shot it over the chrony and adjusted till i got to the high 170fps mark.
    Then i filled the bottle to my scuba tanks max wich is just under 170bar.
    I watched some youtube videos on how to set up the chrony and tried my darnest to duplicate.
    Dry fired the rifle twice and proceeded with the chrony string.

I was shooting the jsb exact 4.52s straight out of the tin and the results are staggering. Wanted to regulate the gun but it realy is not needed.
    I think if i weighed the pellets it would have been much better.
    Chuffed with this gun

Average velocity 777.089 fps
    Max velocity 784.6 fps
    Minimum velocity 765.9 fps
    ES 18.7 fps
    The sweetspot is from shot 21 up to shot 80

Avarage velocity 780.144 fps
    Max 784.6 fps
    Min776.7 fps
    Es 7.9 fps