Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atom Precision Sport Air Rifles

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Default Atom Precision Sport Air Rifles

After the initial Atom images were posted a few people have asked for updates. I'll use this thread to communicate any news and general info as we go along.

In short what we are trying to accomplish

Our goal is to produce a quality PCP air rifle focused for FT and BR. Most of the available rifles for these disciplines are derived from 10m rifles which we believe itís not the optimum approach.
    Apart from accuracy, consistency and reliability thereís several additional requirements we attempt to address with this design to make it more suitable for the intended purpose.

Donít want to let the cat out of the bag until we actually have something to sell but below a bit of info on two topics that had high priority:

Options on Key Components (Price vs Performance)

Truth is most top competitors use highly customized kit, and with the ďcustomizedĒ Iím not referring to a flashy pink spray job on the grip and cheek piece.
    Our philosophy is to use the best components available in the market and bring it together in a cohesive unit and offer combinations thatís tried and tested. To achieve that the Atom design allows for the use of different top brand trigger units and different regulator/cylinder using the same main action block.

This is a far cry when compared to the huge amount of available options when building a competition centerfire rifle but we trust this is a step in right direction. We hope to set a trend where future air rifle competitors also have the choice to mix and match different brand components to find their sweet spot in terms of budget and performance.

Maintainability

Some PCP air rifle reliability/consistency issues can related back to insufficient maintenance. A huge amount of effort went into making the rifle as easy to maintain as possible. Canít post pics of the internal workings yet but the action is extremely easy to strip down and reassemble. To boot you can disassemble, clean and reassemble the action without the need to retune the rifle.

Below are a few pics. Most of these have been posted elsewhere already but Iím adding them here just to have everything in the same place.

Atom Precision Sport : Benchrest Model : James Mitchell

Atom Precision Sport

Administrator

User Info Menu

Stupendous! This will be the dream sporting airgun for many.

Bon chance James and team, may all obstacles to your goals melt away.

User Info Menu

Thanks CK! Slowly getting there...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Thank you for the feedback!

Hope to see this rifle in production soon, could well be a game changer. Well done!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Nice Jimmy and partners!

One can be confident that anything you produce will be of the highest quality.

Where is the quickfill?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Looks phenomenal
    The quickfill port or lack thereof is my only concern, but that’s easily remedied!
    All the best!

Protea FT Team '18
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ek het hierdie gun vasgehou en so paar skote met dit gesien, al wat ek kan se is ek spaar solank.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Lyk baie soos n Steyr silinder en loop op daai demo?

Marksman

User Info Menu

You can get it with qf. No problem!

User Info Menu

Gents, thanks for the encouragement!

Steyr Reg & Cyl? Yes, on the first rifles that would be the only option available. Plan to offer at least one more reg/cyl combination in addition to the Steyr components.
    Main reason for using the Steyr Reg/Cyl is that its reliable, not crazy expensive and available almost everywhere in the world.

QF? Yes, the Steyr cylinders are available in Standard and Long length, both with or without quickfill.

Atom Precision Sport Air Rifles

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

This looks very promising. I wish you guys all the best with this project.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Looks good.

One thing I would like to see would be a Picatinny type scope rail instead of dovetail.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dit is nou wragtig stunning!!

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17

User Info Menu

I have competed for the first time yesterday in formal BR competition with this rifle. It is very solid and finish is top class. Only shot a few shots prior to yesterday's competition (not even a full card) - and first impression is fantastic. It is super consistent and very accurate.

This rifle won the first formal competition entered - I shot a 247 7x and 250 10x for a 497 17x total in tricky conditions (yes the second full card that I shot with this rifle was a 250 - scored electronically).

For a little perspective: - My younger son Mika (not Liam who competed in last year's World Cup) has not touched an airrifle for more than 18 months, also competed with this rifle yesterday. Shot a 248 15x first target to win the junior class and finished third overall in open class.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ammion View Post
    This rifle won the first formal competition entered - I shot a 247 7x and 250 10x for a 497 17x total in tricky conditions (yes the second full card that I shot with this rifle was a 250 - scored electronically).
    Kan jy nou dink as jy bietjie meer tyd gehad het om voor te berei dan kon jy 2 X 250's geskiet het

Baie goeie vooruitsigte vir hierdie wapen, goed gedoen