Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gamo G Magnum IGT Mach-1 5.5mm pellet speeds

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Gamo G Magnum IGT Mach-1 5.5mm pellet speeds

Hi guys.I just purchased a Gamo g magnum air rifle.On inspection of the box,I see that it is rated at 824fps.Before I purchased the rifle I checked the specs online and it is 1246fps.
    How is this possible?

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Gamo lies marketing. They use ultra light PBA pellets to quote that speed.

Even 824FPS is probably way too high for that airgun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abdur View Post
    Hi guys.I just purchased a Gamo g magnum air rifle.On inspection of the box,I see that it is rated at 824fps.Before I purchased the rifle I checked the specs online and it is 1246fps.
    How is this possible?
    Ola
    The 1246fps is probably in 4.5mm and the 824fps 5.5mm speeds.
    Getting that in the real world will be almost impossible here at our altitude with proper pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

How is this possible?
    Come now.....what is the speed of sound? You actually think you can buy a super sonic springer?
    That aside, guys on this forum have tested springers and I think the last I was told, most accurate speed is around 780fps with 8.4gr. If it is power you want and are caught in the speed trap go with a PCP like a Condor.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I was also disappointed with the velocity stated on the box of 24 Joules. However it also say 920fps when I initially got it. Mines is a springer not IGT
    But at 20m using open sights has been relatively accurate. Hopefully will get a chance to chrony it soon.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks like I'm in the same boat, 820 fps and 24j on my IGT. My question is what weight pellets are they firing? On you tube they get 820 odd fps using 16grain pellets. My question is, have we gotten a watered down version or is the consumer protection act preventing them from claiming the same performance they do everywhere else in case it's not achievable?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

820 with a springer or IGT with 16gr pellets is not a bad velocity, especially if it is accurate at that speed.

Manufacturers need to sell their wares, and as with many other things, the faster, bigger, stronger marketing ploy is what sells their stuff.
    I think most, if not all air rifle shooters have at one stage fallen for the faster is better ploy.

I am a firm believer, and advocate of accuracy trumps all else! I would much rather hit where I aim, than to be even slightly off my aiming mark.
    High power or magnum springers just do not work for me, as they just cannot deliver on my accuracy demands.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How is this possible?

It does say right above those specs that power levels vary by country and that you should check with your local distributor to see what will be supplied. Those high speeds are probably obtained under test conditions with very light alloy (not lead) pellets.

The sticker for the RSA spec rifle does say "greater than 24J"

High 700s to mid 800s is quite fast for a spring or gas piston powered 5.5mm rifle. 824 fps with a standard 15.9 grain 5.5mm JSB Exact pellet is 24J (32 ft.lb)....if it is actually getting that muzzle velocity. That is getting into PCP territory. The Gamo must kick like a mule to deliver that energy....
    Last edited by JXV; 05-11-18 at 17:27.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I am just curious, is there no industry standard that rifles are tested against like in archery.
    All bows are tested using a 350Gr arrow @30" draw length and at 70 lbs. There is slight variances but there is still a standard.
    I understand there are caliber differences but standards according to these can be met. It should also be stated whether they were tested at sea level or high altitude. This will cut out all the bullshit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think that's the point people are making, it's advertised in South Africa, by South African companies as the 1250 fps version, when you look at the sticker it's the 820fps version. False advertising?
    That aside it's a very nice rifle, with open sights, out the box I was shooting a 5 rand grouping at 15m, I did it free hand(when I get a scope, I will update on the rifles accuracy, as at 20m+ the sight obscures the target). With 3 different types pellets. AS for the kick, it is noticeable but not as bad as one would think. As for power (24j=17.7lbf), unfortunately I don't have a chrony, nor do I know anybody who has one, so fps and lbf is beyond my ability to determine. I did try the chrony connect app, but kept getting errors (possibly the noise from the rain?), but at 20m the pellets shoot through and through a aluminium camping kettle. At 15m 2/3 pass through a diary.Alot of people on the internet complain about the cocking force, it is harder to cock than the 1930's BSA(what I have as comparison), and your arm does get tired after 30 quick reloads, but it is much easier than I thought it would be. The one downside I did find, is that I have lost the windage circlip already, day 1 less than 50 pellets, which is less than ideal .
    Last edited by Lathaniel; 06-11-18 at 07:36.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Mr Ballistic, as far as i know there is nothing of that sort, the manufacturers (like car manufacturer, with fuel consumption) take the absolute best case scenario and possibly even over state that.
    My theory with the gamo, (I would love to test my theory), is that they have tested the rifle using the most common pellet weight in South Africa (my opinion, +-15gr in 5.5mm) and slightly understated it, as opposed to the lightest at best conditions for the rest of the world, so as not to fall foul of the CPA. Sadly unless somebody can chrony the rifle, we will likely never know. But i agree, at the very least the manufacturers test data should be transparent, if not consistent

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think you'll find gamo tests their rifles with ridiculously light copper pellets something in the tune of 4 grain, 4.5mm pellets... not sure what 5.5 weight they use, ,but you can buy them, I just can't remember where I saw them, but they're useless for anything other than getting high fps results, as they decelerate very quickly

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pellet pusher View Post
    Manufacturers need to sell their wares, and as with many other things, the faster, bigger, stronger marketing ploy is what sells their stuff.
    I think most, if not all air rifle shooters have at one stage fallen for the faster is better ploy.

I am a firm believer, and advocate of accuracy trumps all else! I would much rather hit where I aim, than to be even slightly off my aiming mark.
    High power or magnum springers just do not work for me, as they just cannot deliver on my accuracy demands.

In respect of the first part - there does seem to be a section of the airgun owning fraternity who worship speed and power, after all some idiots are buying guns that can shoot through a barn door, even if it can't hit said barn door when stood inside the barn with the door closed.

I agree accuracy is tops in this game.

'High power' springers, on this score take a well engineered rifle that has been designed to give a higher power output, e.g. the Weihrauch HW80 and have it set up to give 18-20 ft.lbs and it will be sweet and accurate, but so many of the 'high power' offering are just second rate shite trying to deliver stupid velocities to satisfy the human/vegetable hybrid market.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I seriously question the wisdom of refering to probably 50%-plus of the Members of the Airgun Fraternity as "idiots" and "human/vegetables". In my books a foolish thing to do. Possibly driven by a tad of Brit sub-12fpe syndrome, which I can sympathise with. Creating a monoculture is one way of ensuring the quick demise of a Fraternity, or at the very least creating exclusion and resulting stagnation. We can all state our preferences in a respectfull way and agree to differ.
    Last edited by Outoppie; 06-11-18 at 14:12.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    In respect of the first part - there does seem to be a section of the airgun owning fraternity who worship speed and power, after all some idiots are buying guns that can shoot through a barn door, even if it can't hit said barn door when stood inside the barn with the door closed.