Thread: Air Arms Diabolo field weight

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Air Arms Diabolo field weight

Hi guys
    Been punishing myself the last 2 days.
    Borrowed a Peregrine digital reloading scale and set out to weigh two tins of AA Diabolo field 8.4gr pellets.
    This is not a lekker thing to do.

So i wanted to do it right the first time. I washed the pellets a couple of times to make sure there are no bits stuck to them that might throw the weight off...set up the scale as per instruction leaflet....calibrated with the two weights in the box and started weighing.

I thought these premium pellets would be quite consistent in weight but i have found a spread from 8.26gr to 8.6gr. Even weighed some twice to make sure that its not the scale thats going mal. Is that weight deviation normal??
    Thought id put more than one weight together but what is an acceptable weight range youll want to have in the weighed batches?

I am not done weighing them because its a shitty job and takes a long time.

Next ill weigh some jsb's to see if theyre more consistent....but i first have to conquer this 1000....AAARRRRRRGGGG!!
    Last edited by Blink Stefaans; 19-02-18 at 10:58.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Most reloading scales have a slightly different procedure when calibrating for low weight usage. Usually the heavy calibration mass is omitted.
    Also, let the scale acclimatise for 10-15 mins before you start calibrating and using it. This allows the electronics to settle.
    Eliminate all draughts.
    Perhaps old news - but nevertheless important for low weight, accurate readings.
    My 2c

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks kettie
    This scale has two kinds of calibration.
    Regular and advanced.
    With the regular you just gooi the 50gr weigh on.
    With the advanced you do the 20 and the 50
    Scale was left on while i was feeding my boy...should ha e been more than 15mins

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'17
    Ladies World FT Champ '15
    SAFTAA National FT Ladies Champ '13/'14/'15/'16/'17

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'12/'13
    REP: Daystate America

User Info Menu

Yes, Unfortunately this is normal. It depends on what you're goal is for weighing pellets. You might want to look at head sizes as well.

If it is for FT then the weight range is quite big yes but you do not need ALL of your pellets to be all the same to the second decimal place. The wind is going to affect you way more than the pellet weight. I do however agree on weighing to remove the flyers and to ensure they are more or less alike. I do 1000 pellets at a time because different air pressures on different days will also influence this. Also because I too hate this task and just want to get it over and done with asap.

If you are weighing for Benchrest purposes then maybe have a look at a sizer aswell. You are already going through all the trouble of washing and very throughly weighing them so by checking the size you eliminate just another factor. Good luck with this andI do hope you get at least shootable pellets out of this.

This is a very hotly debated topic and no one really knows what is the best. In the end it still comes down to the person pulling the trigger and how many times they have pulled the trigger CORRECTLY before, ie. good quality practice time.

Also if you think Air Arms is bad, just think what non premium pellets weights look like.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Steyr girl
    Thanks for that.
    We are expecting our 2nd child in about 3 weeks so competition will be a no go for at least a couple of months. Factor in the hunting season and my weekends to do what i want are getting less and less.

I am getting very good accuracy out the tin with the s400 but every now and then theres a flier that buggers up a good group.

This is the first time that i weigh pellets so i am not saying the aa's are crap, i just thought the tolerances would have been tighter.

The sizer you are refering to. Is that a sizer die that physicly sizes the pellets or just a guage to check head size?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So i am almost done weighing the pellets.
    Do i shoot each weight seperately or do i batch a couple of weights together. If i want enough pellets to shoot each weight individualy i'm gonna have to weigh a bakkie load

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sit batches na aan mekaar saam. Om te weeg is maar meer om van die flyers ontslae te raak.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Het die goed klaar geweeg
    Het n oorvol blik 8.4-8.48
    N halwe blik 8.3-8.38
    So kwart blik 8.5-8.58
    Die res is onder 8.3 en bo 8.6.
    Gaan hulle oor die chrony skiet en die verskil aanteken. Gaan ook interesant wees om te sien hoe die ligstes en swaarstes se poi verskil

Het gister aand n halwe blik JSB exacts geweeg. Meeste was tussen 8.4 en 8.48

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'17
    Ladies World FT Champ '15
    SAFTAA National FT Ladies Champ '13/'14/'15/'16/'17

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'12/'13
    REP: Daystate America

User Info Menu

The sizer I mentioned is just a gauge to check the head sizes. It does not change or modify the pellet in any way.