Thread: Pellet weights - Looking for the lighter side of life

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Pellet weights - Looking for the lighter side of life

Afternoon ladies and gents.

I'm wondering if any of you members have had experience using light pellets vs the more traditional 8.44gr JSB. I got my hands on a SPA WF600 under lever that was pretty beat up and I fabricated every component on it.

Now I'm wanting to use this little rifle for HFT, but she's doing 750fps with a gamo pro match 7.56g. Now this wouldn't bother me for plinking in the back yard, but some shots are 50m out and I'm concerned I need more speed for a flatter trajectory. Is this in fact the case?
    If so, what pellets are lighter than those gamo's? Elsewise should I try get my hands on some JSB Express?

Thanks in advance for any advice

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Have you tried a heavier pellet?
    Lighter won't mean its going to reach further. Might travel faster but will lose its energy fast as well.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How is your accuracy with the Gamo pellets?
    I have always found them to be inconsistent.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    How is your accuracy with the Gamo pellets?
    I have always found them to be inconsistent.
    Agreed, more velocity with Gamo pellets will just mean you can miss quicker.

Joking aside, find an accurate pellet in your rifle.

Having looked at the model in question, I would doubt it is going to make much more velocity and if it does it is likely to be quite unpleasant to shoot.

Perhaps take it for what it is, an introductory level rifle and look to upgrade to a better overall rifle as things allow you to do so.
    Last edited by Dale; 20-02-18 at 17:33.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late reply gents. Had my appendix removed on Monday and responding was the last thing on my mind.

Regarding the rifle itself, it's not going to get much more powerful without sacrificing everything that it has going for it now. I've got an AT44 if I want power. Would you guys recommend trying various types of pellets (weight, style and BC)? With a higher BC the pellet should retain its speed further down range. I'm not looking for a cannon, just trying to ensure when I hit the drop down that there is energy to spare.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Thomas,
    If you try to put in some washers at front end of the mainspring, enuff to get the coils almost touching when fully cocked, you'll get a little more speed. Let's see what it can do with some washers added and 7.9gr Crosman Premiers.
    I reckon if you can get 750fps with a 7.9gr that will be sufficient.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'17
    Ladies World FT Champ '15
    SAFTAA National FT Ladies Champ '13/'14/'15/'16/'17

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'12/'13
    REP: Daystate America

User Info Menu

if you want to try HFT with this rifle then that means you want above acceptable accuracy with enough power to knock a target down, right?
    This is where BC comes in. The only place you "win" with lighter pellets is if you have them traveling at 800fps+. Anything below that will just cause you to be influenced by wind even more. That said, I would start by recommending to try JSB's first. I haven't tried these Gamo pellets but the name already has me doubt (Not even the welding on their spinners lasted 5 shots with my Steyr so I'm not a fan).
    Try 8.44s and 7.87s. If the accuracy is good and you can see it's knocking targets down then it's a shooter. You can even try JSB RS 7.33gr pellets but I don't think that's necessary.

There are people in field target shooting 730fps with 8.44s and they have won countless shoots so it's not JUST the speed.

Since the rifle has been built up I think going just by what's said on this thread will be too risky. Just use it as a guideline. Trial and error and report back to us as this seems to be an especially unique case.
    Good luck!!

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well thanks guys and gals for the info. I fiddled around yesterday after buying 1m of acetal and machining spring guides to vary the preload on the spring. The rifle itself literally only has the barrel as standard... I've taken your advice Steyr Girl and found that the H&N FTT's suit the rifle after testing a tin of everything my local gunshop had to offer. She's slower, but retains more energy downrange. As a result 30 - 40mm groupings are achievable.

Thanks again everyone for the input. Its invaluable the lessons and advice I'm getting.