Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marksman Roundhead .22 (No.2) pellets

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Marksman Roundhead .22 (No.2) pellets

I had a word with the co-owner of Marksman pellets today, Alan Jefferies, who told me that his company's ammo is sold by the million into South Africa.
    The question is: who is shooting this budget ammo? Is it the sole preserve of the plinker and novice or are they being used by more serious shooters, as he suggested. I ask because I was looking for the reason why I cannot get them to group regardless of which brand or which type of rifle I use. The mystery is that they are so well made and so weight-consitant yet they don't perform consitantly.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I had a word with the co-owner of Marksman pellets today, Alan Jefferies, who told me that his company's ammo is sold by the million into South Africa.
    The question is: who is shooting this budget ammo? Is it the sole preserve of the plinker and novice or are they being used by more serious shooters, as he suggested. I ask because I was looking for the reason why I cannot get them to group regardless of which brand or which type of rifle I use. The mystery is that they are so well made and so weight-consitant yet they don't perform consitantly.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

I got them to group once in a Pro-Sport.
    Get hold of Rashaad he stocks them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Marksman were the only pellets we had growing up. That was all we knew so thats all we shot.
    Had some in a box thats probably 15 years old. Cleaned and lubed them 25m group out my s400 was as big as my hand...made for missing muisvoëls and mynas

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

strange as it seams....i don't remember missing with my old BSA and marksman pellets as a kid growing up....we also didn't get sick or die after walking around every day with a mouthful of pellets....

Marksman

User Info Menu

Dallas. We also carried the pellets under our botom lip and never got sick.
    Had an old gecado mod 25 and also didnt miss much. I think these dont like higher velocities in modern guns. It also fit very loosely into my s400

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Yes walked and stalked with Marksman's stashed in mouth and my Gamo model '69 and later my big brother's BSF he inherited from Grandpa. Hit more than we missed. Don't think the Marksman's are made for today's higher velocity rifles.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Perhaps we just don't care to remember the misses so well...?? Lol!!

I do agree, and I've mentioned it here before as well...in those years, there weren't much pellet choice, we did not know the rifle's power, there was no "Chairgun" and no chrony, ...and I had even móre fun, sometimes.
    I definately shot more than now, never used to "score" my targets, almost néver shot at paper targets...no set distances, open iron sights...oh the horror!!

I miss those days and I miss those shooting sessions! I still, sometimes, grab a handful of pellets, shove them in my pocket, grab an open sighted "breakbarrel" and just go for a "walk"...

I remember "Marksman" and "Radius", round or pointed only...

Sorry, I realise I'm a bit off topic...forgive me...!

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

I also did not "miss a lot" with 4,5mm Marksman and Radius pellets - effective "sort of accurate range": 3 to 10 meter

On a more serious note, from what I can remember is that you can take any JSB group size and times it with 3 to 4.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sirshootalot View Post
    Perhaps we just don't care to remember the misses so well...?? Lol!!

I do agree, and I've mentioned it here before as well...in those years, there weren't much pellet choice, we did not know the rifle's power, there was no "Chairgun" and no chrony, ...and I had even móre fun, sometimes.
    I definately shot more than now, never used to "score" my targets, almost néver shot at paper targets...no set distances, open iron sights...oh the horror!!

I miss those days and I miss those shooting sessions! I still, sometimes, grab a handful of pellets, shove them in my pocket, grab an open sighted "breakbarrel" and just go for a "walk"...

I remember "Marksman" and "Radius", round or pointed only...

Sorry, I realise I'm a bit off topic...forgive me...!
    Ah, the familiar rosy glow of nostalgia. We are all a bit too concerned with group size and power and sometimes forget the sheer pleasure of a walk in the woods and just shooting the heads off of dandelions and acorns from the trees. Any lack of accuracy was all down to the rifle/ammo, wasn't it?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Any lack of accuracy was all down to the rifle/ammo, wasn't it?
    Aye!!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Ek onthou dat ek nie veel mis geskiet het met my .177 BSA Meteor nie. Ek skiet so nou en dan die ronde punt Marksman in my .177 QB79 teen amper 960fps en 25m groepering was nie veel slegter as met JSB Exacts nie. Ek moet wel ook bylas dat ek geen skerpskutter kompetiesie sal wen nie.

As ek net skiet om te skiet is die Marksman ronde punte seker die beste om mee te skiet. Maar as ek nou wil kyk hoe akkuraat ek met n sekere geweertjie kan skiet sal ek eerder met die JSB's skiet

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I use .22 Marksman pellets in my MK1 and Mk2 BSA Airsporters.

At 10 to 20 yards they are respectable for plinking with open sights.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lekker om mee te "plink", akkers van die boom af te skiet of om die takkie bokant die avo af te skiet dan vang die laaitie hom as hy val.
    Werk beter in stadiger gewere.
    Ek het een uit n HW90 in n swembad ingeskiet. Toe hy daar uitgeduik word, toe lyk hy soos n buisie met reguit kante. Die middel lyfie was heeltemal uitgeblaas. Geen wonder hul is nie akkuraat uit die vinnige gewere nie.
    Last edited by JohanG; 01-03-18 at 16:02.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Man with no name;6329Ek onthou dat ek nie veel mis geskiet het met my .177 BSA Meteor nie. Ek skiet so nou en dan die ronde punt Marksman in my .177 QB79 teen amper 960fps en 25m groepering was nie veel slegter as met JSB Exacts nie. Ek moet wel ook bylas dat ek geen skerpskutter kompetiesie sal wen nie.

As ek net skiet om te skiet is die Marksman ronde punte seker die beste om mee te skiet. Maar as ek nou wil kyk hoe akkuraat ek met n sekere geweertjie kan skiet sal ek eerder met die JSB's skiet[/QUOTE]

Any chance of a translation into English for the Mud Islanders, please?

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Any chance of a translation into English for the Mud Islanders, please?
    Google Translate

I remember that I did not shoot much with my .177 BSA Meteor. I occasionally shoot the round mark Marksman in my .177 QB79 at almost 960fps and 25m grouping was not much worse than with JSB Exacts. I also have to admit that I will not win a sharp shooter competition.If I just shoot to shoot the Marksman round points are probably the best to shoot. But if I want to see how accurate I can shoot with a certain gun, I'd rather shoot with the JSBs