Thread: DIY Bore Snake - two versions

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default DIY Bore Snake - two versions

The first version uses 2 mm nylon weed trimmer line and the string or cord patch loop is taped to the line using insulation tape.
    This is hard to wind on to the line and cord without some bulges . When you have some resistance during your pull the cord can pull out of the insulation wrap.
    To improve this I used some heatshrink tubing. The cord was fed through the heatshrink and the two loose ends held while the nylon line was pushed thorough the tubing. Take out your heatgun apply heat and you are done.

The second improved version was made from a long length of heatshrink tubing . Take some thin copper wire, run it through the tubing and make a flat hook, attach to cord loop and pull through. Apply heat to the end of the heatshrink (about 150 mm) to secure the loop, at the other end of the tubing thread the cord through a toggle coat button or dowel with hole in centre .

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ola

Was just wondering, how long will that thin rope last?
    I use the gut that is used with a weed eater.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Another way to make a home-made boresnake is to plait DACRON trolling line with fly reel backing. VERY strong and thin at the (inegrated) loop, so does not jame up with a large patch. There are some pictures floating around this forum somewhere. Mine has lasted me for years.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ineresting!

I have a pile of nylon paracord inner strands which is the byproduct of plaiting paracord bullwhips. Will plait me up some nylon strand boresnakes and see how it works.