Thread: Mini airgun compressors some concerns before I buy one

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Mini airgun compressors some concerns before I buy one

a new member arrived at our club this weekend with one of those mini compressors
    i was fascinated he let me fill my 7 litre bottle from about 180 bar to a full 300 bar it only took 27 min I was really impressed but when I vented the line I noticed water shooting out that concerned me a bit. When I got home I noticed a sloshing sound from my tank I released the pressure and saw like a spray of steam then I took the valve our and dried my bottle completely . I still think these toys are a great idea and may buy one but are they safe to use in our guns with so much moisture in the air the make ? Any advise appreciated

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Iím no expert but I used to dive a lot with my family and we owned our own air compressors and the biggest thing to take into consideration is the filtration system.

I have asked local dealers about the filtration systems on these mini compressors and none of them to date have a clue what Iím talking about. When it comes to scuba cylinder compressors, the most important component is the filteration system and should have a ppm or ISO rating which complies with the correct standard defined to remove moisture from the air used in breathing apparatus. These filtration system are not cheap and can cost up to half (sometimes more) of the compressor itself!

Theses things are all made in China and I donít believe they apply those same standards when it comes to the filters on them. From what you have mentioned above, it seems to be the case, if you getting vapor coming out of your cylinder? Without a proper filter you are going to get moisture in your cylinder for sure and any potential water vapor in your air cylinder is going to cause havoc with your rifle!

Case in point, Regy (FT Protea) told me once he had to completely strip his steyr due to water vapor contamination in his air cylinder.....ended up replacing his air cylinder and tossing the other one.

Until the local agents can answer my questions, I will avoid these things and rather have my air cylinders filled at a reputable dive store instead.

Just my

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for making that clear I'll stick to the scuba place to refill my tanks

MRP

User Info Menu

I agree with the above, i have 2 friends who own those mini comps. One thing is for sure they do create loads of condensate! The other thing is both guys had the comps brake down after one use. Personally id rather buy another rifle and visit my local dive shop for filling.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Not seeing one of these compressors in action, my comments may seem a bit off the mark.

Most air compressors I have seen have condensate drains. Depending on humidy and size, the condensate drains have to be operated regularly to drain condensate from the line. From what you describe, the compressor is either not fitted with condensate drains or it is not being used. Either is very bad for your cylinder. No 1 reason for condemning cylinders during visual is due to internal corrosion.

Filter are very important for breathing air; having to remove toxins. Not so much for what we use. We just need a basic oil filter and drier. So, if there are no condensate drains, I won't consider using the compressor.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Guys, you are making me very nervous this morning......

Just ordered one form Pellet-Guns and it will be delivered tomorrow.
    I did order a separate water trap with filters and as far as I know the unit does have a condensate drain which need to be checked after every 10 minutes of operation as well as after the unit was switched off. This was learned from watching youtube videos on the yong heng compressors. One of them is this one. PCPs: A Low Cost Way to Get Started - YouTube.
    It can be fitted with an aftermarket desiccate filter inline to further reduce moisture.

Truly hope I did not mess up.....

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17/'19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by H v H View Post
    I did order a separate water trap with filters and as far as I know the unit does have a condensate drain which need to be checked after every 10 minutes of operation as well as after the unit was switched off.
    Been using mine in exactly this way for over a year now, no drama with water. I replace the filter after every 3 fills, they are cheap and easy to come by.
    After using your compressor for a few times you'll be wondering why you didn't make the purchase a long time ago already.

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

Please just remember....you still need to have visuals and hydros done on your cylinders...probably more so now. HPA is dangerous, and you can harm others around you. Use the compressors by all means, but do it properly, and safely.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I also have one for over a year, I did the same thing, I put a online filter and when I fill my tanks or rifle, I never let the compressor on for more that 10 minutes, I always give a 5/10 min intervals to allow the compressor to coold down and yes, they have a condesation drain that should be used during the fill in every few mintues and I also change the online filter every 3/5 fill ups. They work great if you look after them, it makes your life much easier when comes to fill tanks and the rifles.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17/'19

User Info Menu

I have a twin cylinder compressor, and it generates a stink load of heat so I built a self contained cooling system on it, works great and keeps the temps well below 55 degrees celsius.
    Last edited by Voodoo; 28-03-18 at 09:19.

MRP

User Info Menu

Well done looks great! For guys that shoot thousands of pellets it might be worth it. Me i shoot maybe a tin a month, so just not worth the money or hassle of switching on and off, and filters etc.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well as usual The Courier Guy did not disappoint and I received my delivery today instead of tomorrow.

Unpacked everything and did the setup.
    As mentioned, I did receive the water trap and filters but to my dismay discovered that in order to fit the water trap, I actually require an adaptor fitting which did not come supplied.

Looking around, the hand pump's hose was taken off, modified and utilised with it's own little filter installed. Bit of a hassle to get all the joints leak proof and had to use several o-rings on the fittings to accomplish this.

Moisture buildup in the condensate drain is quite significant but it does hold back almost all of it. A small spray was noticeable when opening the drain plug of the drain. This model has a drain on the condensate drain as well as on the top part of the high pressure pump.

After testing the compressor by only filling the hose and rechecking the small filter, no moisture could be found on the small filter. It ran for less than one minute to take it up to 220 bar on the display.

My M22 has 250 cc cylinder and was around 120 bar. I set the machine to fill it to the 220 bar the machine was set at. The auto cutoff did kick in when the dial read 22 mpa but the gauge on the M22 showed it was only at 190 bar. I then upped the machine's set pressure and played around and it seems that if the machine is set to 28 mpa, it fills the M22 to 220 bar.

Quickly went to shoot 22 shots outside to drop the pressure back down to 150 bar. Then filled it again to 200 bar. This took less than 2 minutes! Way better than hand pumping!

So far so good.

Did a recheck of the small filter and all was still bone dry.

Will take some pictures tomorrow and post of the setup.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Regardless of the type or size of compressor, you should still fit an inline moisture filter. There are a few available on the market but make sure it is rated for the correct pressure.
    Gilbert Distribution | United Kingdom | Omega Compressors for airguns

The diablo dry air system is an example.