Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowpeak or Hatsan

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Snowpeak or Hatsan

I am planning on a new break barrel and would appreciate any input on these two:
    Shaoxing Snow Peak SR 1250 S 5.5 mm

SPECIFICATIONS:
    CALIBER - 5.5mm
    POWER SOURCE- Spring /Gas piston
    TRIGGER PULL - Adjustable Trigger,4-8 lbs
    SAFETY - Manual Safety/ bear trap
    SAFETY FORCE - ON 1-5 lb/f OFF 1-5 lb/f
    VELOCITY - 5.5 mm - 900 fps
    COCKING FORCE <35lb/f

Or the Hatsan Mod 87 sniper
    en_mod_87_sniper

Thoughts
    Thanks all
    Tim

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you really must have a 5.5mm break barrel, Mike Booysen has a very nice HW80 with quite a few extras for sale. In my honest opinion, I'd rather go for a good quality second hand rifle. Yes, it's a .20 cal, but it's then gonna have a slightly flatter trajectory than a 5.5mm. But in the end, it's your choice. If your budget is tight, then get the hatsan, their quatro triggers are way better than the SPA's and can be tuned very nicely!!

Just my 2c

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    If you really must have a 5.5mm break barrel, Mike Booysen has a very nice HW80 with quite a few extras for sale. In my honest opinion, I'd rather go for a good quality second hand rifle. Yes, it's a .20 cal, but it's then gonna have a slightly flatter trajectory than a 5.5mm. But in the end, it's your choice. If your budget is tight, then get the hatsan, their quatro triggers are way better than the SPA's and can be tuned very nicely!!
    Just my 2c
    Thanks, appreciate the input

MRP

User Info Menu

Would also rather go for hw80, if you want new I'd go for the hatsan. If you can afford more or safe up I'd get the hw50s.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcphunter34 View Post
    Would also rather go for hw80, if you want new I'd go for the hatsan. If you can afford more or safe up I'd get the hw50s.
    Thanks, I like the HW but a bit above my budget. I have a feinwerkbau sport that I restored so will probably take the Hatsan for plinking.

MRP

User Info Menu

How much is the hatsan 2000-3000? Hw50s 4900

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I believe Hatsans are the best budget air rifles and are built like tanks and can easily be tuned into smooth and accurate shooters. My first rifle was a Hatsan Mod85 in 4.5. Paid R800 for it and had it tuned by Scout Sniper (Nick). After Nick did his magic the rifle was so accurate that I frequently won 1st prize at our informal bench rest meets. (Up to 40 meters)

I also have two 5.5 Webley Patriot's which are made by Hatsan and has the same Quattro trigger. These two are the most fun to shoot with, almost like driving a muscle car! They make my LGV feel like an EFFICIENT but boring German sedan. Lol.

Good luck with you purchase and let us know what you get and how it shoots!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Forgot two mention that I replaced the piston seals on the Patriots with HW80 seals Hatsan seals are crap!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Search this forum for my musings on B-grade spring guns.

In the past, we had Vincent who could put the required lipstick on the pig, but now....?

Cheap springers cause pain and unhappiness, unless you are willing to spend tubs of money on them. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Buy an LGV as a starter.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What got me addicted to air rifles is not just shooting but that I could experiment and tinker to my heart's content and turn a budget springer into something that is a joy to shoot and able to keep up with PCP's and quality springers!

That being said, some cheapies are not worth the effort but there are a few brands with good bones!

Besides some of us just want to have fun with our "windbukse" and that budget rifle fills that niche. Maybe one day when were serious shooters we too will discard our cheapies

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    What got me addicted to air rifles is not just shooting but that I could experiment and tinker to my heart's content and turn a budget springer into something that is a joy to shoot and able to keep up with PCP's and quality springers!

That being said, some cheapies are not worth the effort but there are a few brands with good bones!

Besides some of us just want to have fun with our "windbukse" and that budget rifle fills that niche. Maybe one day when were serious shooters we too will discard our cheapies
    Thanks for all the input and that's exactly my sentiments. I have made a few air rifles and like to tinker. Spending 5K plus on something I will take apart is just foolish. Besides HW in 5.5 or up in springer is almost 10 K - not in my budget

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Your welcome Timothy, happy tinkering

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If it MUST be new, then Hatsan, but be sure it's a model with QUATTRO trigger unit!
    Personally I'd also go for a "better quality" rifle in 2nd hand condition. Good ones come past now 'n then.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In my opinion the Hatsan with the Quatro trigger would be the better buy.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well I spoke to a few people who have the new Shaoxing Snow Peak GR 1600 5.5mm rated to 1050FPS with a 15.5 grain pellet and not one had anything bad to say. I couldn't get the Hatsan I wanted so opted for this one instead. Paid 2K for it new so it won't kill the budget and I'll do a review and chrony test once I get it. It seems that SPA is making some quality air rifles these days.