Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPA barrels.

REP: Froggy Custom Silencers

User Info Menu

Default SPA barrels.

Thought I'd attempt improving the factory P12 barrel.... Didn't want to waste more than 20 minutes of my life on this POS.
    Don't know what Chinesium it's made off....old rebar?
    Very hard steel that's difficult to machine with HSS cutters.
    Rifling was very rough, severe chatter marks ... Pushing a pellet through felt like there was sand in the barrel.
    I lapped the barrel with 110 micron aluminium oxide... 20 strokes... Then another 200 strokes with a very fine metal polish.
    It's a lot smoother now... Still some chatter marks, but I can't polish it further because the bore is very close to being over sized.

I don't know if this will improve accuracy... Will test later.
    Re-crowned the barrel.

Barrel twist rate is about 1in 22.
    Last edited by Froggy; 04-04-18 at 19:52.

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

I worked on an SPA barrel...did all the necessary like you, little to no difference....a bad SPA barrel is junk...a good one is surprisingly good...doesn't seem to be anything in between....

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    I worked on an SPA barrel...did all the necessary like you, little to no difference....a bad SPA barrel is junk...a good one is surprisingly good...doesn't seem to be anything in between....
    What he said!

I have put match barrels on both of my P12s. Turns them into keepers.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

For what it's worth I made enquiries of SPA and this is what came back. Point 3 is germainDear *****

thank you for writting for us .
    here is the info you need

1) Could you please let me know if this It model has a Titanium air cylinder? This is a feature of previous models but it is not specified for the P15.
    it is aluminium all our pcp ,only P10 P12 HUBEN K1 is titanium

2) would be hugely valuable to have a schematic of the rifle and parts list so as to order spare parts. Where can buyers find a such a schematic?
    please find the attached file
    3) Do you recommend a pellet of a particular head size? I am finding that my P15 is not grouping well with the ammunition I have tried so far, around six different makes.
    you can use JSB excat diabolo but this barrel is made by our factory , the accury is not as good as lother-walther
    4) I have seen else where that the rifle incorporates a depressurising valve. Where is this located?

#54 from the exploed drawing
    --

Best regards!

Annie

Sales Manager

SHAOXING SNOWPEAK AIR GUN FACTORY

Fitting a better barrel might be the only answer for some rifles!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have replaced about 15 P12 barrels with LW or Weirach barrels up to now and must agree, there are some great barrels from SPA and some junk. Just bought a P15 to add to the collection. This will get a CZ barrel. Will load a thread with progress on that one. I found that the P15 also have some bad barrels coming through.

Paul

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

My P15s barrel is a real piece of shit. Getting a 12mm OD LW installed shortly. Original barrel 13mm OD. So a 1/2mm sleeve needed. Apparently much easier/safer than turning down the bigger 15mm CZ and LW ones I initially bought. Oh well, I now have spares.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Why is it safer? I have done it on LW, 15 time, even in 0.25. Never had an issue and deadly accurate.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Interesting to hear that - was my logic, but Kevin didn't want to do it because of something to do with it potentially affecting the bore, making it open up or some such. Dallas was also not keen to do it, but I think it may have been equipment related for him?

Like I said - I now have spares for whatever 'deal' I pick up next :P

User Info Menu

Turning down a button rifled barrel definitely increases the bore diameter.... I've done it a few times without sacrificing accuracy, but it's risky as you can ruin a expensive barrel.
    Same thing happens when threading a choked barrel.... Choke opens slightly.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I wonder - couldn't you just turn down breech end of the barrel up until you clear the barrel clamps?
    If you leave the last half or so at its original diameter I'd imagine it should be perfect.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    I wonder - couldn't you just turn down breech end of the barrel up until you clear the barrel clamps?
    If you leave the last half or so at its original diameter I'd imagine it should be perfect.
    \
    Makes sense, but then metals are funny beasts. There may be tensions in the metal (that has had any form of heating at any stage) that get released when you take the 'skin' off - that will affect everything. I seem to remember this from reading a bench guru's experiences...somewhere... when I was thinking of something similar.

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

I have trashed a good poly barrel reducing the OD from 16mm to 13mm...the pellets fell through it...I reduced the OD along 450mm of the barrel...and the finish was not great....why take the risk of trashing a good barrel when you can buy the correct OD and fit it with very little effort....or get a smaller OD and make shims...

It doesn't take much to turn a great barrel into a tomato plant stake...I have a few of them unfortunately...

User Info Menu

Was not successful... Don't waste your time... Use it for a crowbar.
    38 m 18 gr jsb's looked promising at 850 fps.

Tried different speeds and 16gr.
    See how the pellets keyholed at 790fps... Above 860fps they spiralled.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Looks pretty similar to mine, but mine was even worse.

Yup, you guys are right - airguns and barrels in particular are funny things! Simple logic doesn't always play out with things like barrels, and there probably plenty of crowbars/tomato stakes to prove it...

User Info Menu

SPA should get some tips from the QB factory.... QB barrels are pretty good.
    They might be selecting the good barrels for the "Diana" rifles.