Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To chop or not to chop?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default To chop or not to chop?

After loosing two scopes to my Hatsan Webley Patriot 5.5, I decided to try my hand at tuning. Cautious not to ruin the rifle it was taken apart and reassembled roughly twenty times! Carefully adjusting internals little by little. Polishing the tube, removing coils, fitting a Weirauch seal, buttoning, shortstroking and reducing the piston weight and testing after each reassembly. Miraculously the end result exceeded my wildest expectations!

I ended up with a super smooth, quiet, light cocking and deadly accurate lead spitting machine. Best part is that it's no longer hold sensitive! I don't own a crony but estimate that it produces about 18fp and it was tuned specifically for 14.3gr Crossman Premiers, which fits the barrel beautifully. 1" groups out to 70 meters is now the norm if I do my part. Needless to say it hasn't broken any more scopes.

However measuring 1250mm and with a scoped weight of almost 5kgs its not the most comfortable springer to handle.I can live with the extra weight, which obviously helps with accuracy. If only it was slightly more compact....

Which brings us to the title: To chop or not to chop? And if it's a good idea to shorten the barrel, who could assist? The barrel is choked and probably have to be shortened at the breach?

Looking forward to your comments!

PS. I got another Patriot, just in case...
    Last edited by Mayo; 04-04-18 at 23:00.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

If it is shooting accurately now it would be a good idea to not bugger around with it any further.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    If it is shooting accurately now it would be a good idea to not bugger around with it any further.

Thank you Dale, I agree that it might be risky.

I was also hoping to hear from someone who has attempted shortening a springer barrel and the results thereof?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Thank you Dale, I agree that it might be risky.

I was also hoping to hear from someone who has attempted shortening a springer barrel and the results thereof?
    Hi

I have more than one springer with a shortened barrel.
    I someone competent does it and recrowns it properly it is as accurate as it was. It is usually less hold sensitive as well.
    Don't go shorter than 300mm.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If it is not broken , don't fix it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Haha! Gee's guys your not making it any easier to decide. Two against and one for chops

Then again Kuberboef had good results. Who did yours?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I usually chop and recrown all my springers down to 10 inches which is about optimum for a modern springer. Have never had reduced accuracy by doing this.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Haha! Gee's guys your not making it any easier to decide. Two against and one for chops

Then again Kuberboef had good results. Who did yours?
    All my machine work is done by Kevin from airvolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I usually chop and recrown all my springers down to 10 inches which is about optimum for a modern springer. Have never had reduced accuracy by doing this.
    How much is 10 inches in mm?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

254mm

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Frederick View Post
    254mm
    Hi

I never go below 300mm

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In the book "The Airgun from Trigger to Target" they concluded between 6-9 inches was optimum for a springer and my research shows 10 - 12 inches for modern springers, probably 12 for gas rams. So at 12 inches kuberboef at 300mm is right on target.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Good morning all!

Thank you for all the helpful replies. 10 inches sounds good, considering the additional length of silencer or barrel weight. Was planning on chatting with Kevin....

But decided to try something different first. The Patriot's stock is extra bulky in order to handle the crazy recoil and cocking effort on the standard rifle. The stock reach is also above average, so I started here cutting 30mm off the end of the butt. Next I thinned down the forearm substantially being careful not weaken key areas too much.

The rifle now seems much more compact and agile to handle. I'm so happy with the results that I'm actually doubting whether it's still necessary to chop? Hmmm.....

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Without pictaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars there is no insight

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrews View Post
    Without pictaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars there is no insight

Haha! Touché! Not the best craftsmanship and I used tools at my disposal ie. Knife and sand paper

So the pic at the top is of the rifle still in original form and the last one is of the modified stock. Used a hacksaw to shorten the stock lol.
    Last edited by Mayo; 09-04-18 at 10:22.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So is the barrel chopped yet?