Thread: Courier advice

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Courier advice

Hey guys,

It seems I am finally getting an air rifle
    , I am looking for some suggestion on affordable and reliable couriers.

The rifle will be coming from PTA to the KZN South Coast, in a rifle case. Not Scuba tanks just the rifle in a case. How much do you think it’s going to cost me?

Please share the details of any couriers you have used.

Thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

postnet to postnet will cost you R99.00 for the first 5 kg, thereafter R20.00 per kg over that, if they ask just say sporting goods NOT air rifle

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The Courier Guy seems to be a firm favorite among the sellers/dealers I have dealt with. So is PostNet. I personally use Internet Express. If you have the dimensions and weight of your package then you can get a quote online from Internet Express. Their online quotation and booking system is nice and easy to use.

Edit: I have sent and received 23 parcels via Internet Express the past 11 months with zero issues.
    Last edited by RiaanduToit; 09-04-18 at 10:40.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Internet Express is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Will never use them again.

Let me rephrase that:
    So we went to Zim to "work" again. On the way there the road was so bad that my boat trailer tail lights broke. Both of them. We went through 14 roadblocks on our way to Lake Mteri -lights fine no problem. The last and 15th one (just before our destination) both lights dead and the cop did not want to hear anything. Fined me the bastard.
    We went to each and every spares shop in Chiredzi looking for replacement lights – no luck (there are about 20 of them). So to the rescue my dear wife who sourced lights for R220 and couriered them to me. The courier company Internet Express Couriers told her the lights will be there in three days and that it would cost R386.41. They did inform her of the customs charges which would apply. They could not tell her how much that would be, so I phoned Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) and found out it would be $8 – no problem.
    The package was picked up and paid for based on the information provided and it then did not arrive in the three days – I waited for three working days, still no lights. I was getting nervous since we have to run the gauntlet of 15 roadblocks again coming back so I started making enquiries.
    So it turns out Internet Express used Orion ILS Logistics, GPX and DHL to try and get the package to me each with their own waybill and tracking number. Try and get hold off your package in a foreign country at R10/minute roaming. It becomes an expensive affair.
    Found out that DHL has the package in Harare.
    Phoned the Harare DHL office and was informed as soon as I pay the customs they will send the package to Chiredzi. No problem!! I asked where I can pay and how much, keeping in mind that it should be about $8. Big surprise!!!The gent at the other end says the customs is $68. Seriously???!!!! On R220 lights?!
    The bloody liar tells me it is a fixed rate charged by ZIMRA for packages between $10 and $1000. And if I pay it the lights will be in Chiredzi on the afternoon of the 16th of October. This is three day service on lights picked up on the 5th.
    Turns out the extra $60 is the “package clearing fee” from DHL. This I found out by speaking to the Chiredzi office of DHL.
    I told the Harare DHL gentleman he can shove the lights squarely up his arse and that they are a bunch of thieving bastards (I also used the appropriate F-words&#128513. So now I have R220 lights which cost R386.41 to send lying in a warehouse in Harare. He must be used to these outbursts as his reply was they can send it back to the sender for $55.
    And to top it all of this off I am already back in SA.
    Now for the questions.
    1) Shouldn’t Internet Express have told my wife about the exuberant clearance fee prior to taking her business?
    2) Shouldn’t Internet Express have kept to the indicated three day delivery time? Especially as she has explained to them that it is time sensitive since I will be leaving for SA soon.
    3) Shouldn’t I get a refund for a package I still have not received although I am already back in SA?
    End of rant. None of these companies will ever see my business again. And you know how bad news travels….

Almost forgot to add. I engaged Internet Express directly the moment I got back - Not a peep. Did not even acknowledge my communication and this was October 2017.....
    Last edited by CarlEgmont; 09-04-18 at 11:35.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The Courierguy is very reliable. Cost will be plus minus R200.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarlEgmont View Post
    Internet Express is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Will never use them again.

Let me rephrase that:
    So we went to Zim to "work" again. On the way there the road was so bad that my boat trailer tail lights broke. Both of them. We went through 14 roadblocks on our way to Lake Mteri -lights fine no problem. The last and 15th one (just before our destination) both lights dead and the cop did not want to hear anything. Fined me the bastard.
    We went to each and every spares shop in Chiredzi looking for replacement lights – no luck (there are about 20 of them). So to the rescue my dear wife who sourced lights for R220 and couriered them to me. The courier company Internet Express Couriers told her the lights will be there in three days and that it would cost R386.41. They did inform her of the customs charges which would apply. They could not tell her how much that would be, so I phoned Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) and found out it would be $8 – no problem.
    The package was picked up and paid for based on the information provided and it then did not arrive in the three days – I waited for three working days, still no lights. I was getting nervous since we have to run the gauntlet of 15 roadblocks again coming back so I started making enquiries.
    So it turns out Internet Express used Orion ILS Logistics, GPX and DHL to try and get the package to me each with their own waybill and tracking number. Try and get hold off your package in a foreign country at R10/minute roaming. It becomes an expensive affair.
    Found out that DHL has the package in Harare.
    Phoned the Harare DHL office and was informed as soon as I pay the customs they will send the package to Chiredzi. No problem!! I asked where I can pay and how much, keeping in mind that it should be about $8. Big surprise!!!The gent at the other end says the customs is $68. Seriously???!!!! On R220 lights?!
    The bloody liar tells me it is a fixed rate charged by ZIMRA for packages between $10 and $1000. And if I pay it the lights will be in Chiredzi on the afternoon of the 16th of October. This is three day service on lights picked up on the 5th.
    Turns out the extra $60 is the “package clearing fee” from DHL. This I found out by speaking to the Chiredzi office of DHL.
    I told the Harare DHL gentleman he can shove the lights squarely up his arse and that they are a bunch of thieving bastards (I also used the appropriate F-words&#128513. So now I have R220 lights which cost R386.41 to send lying in a warehouse in Harare. He must be used to these outbursts as his reply was they can send it back to the sender for $55.
    And to top it all of this off I am already back in SA.
    Now for the questions.
    1) Shouldn’t Internet Express have told my wife about the exuberant clearance fee prior to taking her business?
    2) Shouldn’t Internet Express have kept to the indicated three day delivery time? Especially as she has explained to them that it is time sensitive since I will be leaving for SA soon.
    3) Shouldn’t I get a refund for a package I still have not received although I am already back in SA?
    End of rant. None of these companies will ever see my business again. And you know how bad news travels….

Almost forgot to add. I engaged Internet Express directly the moment I got back - Not a peep. Did not even acknowledge my communication and this was October 2017.....
    That's a k@k one. I would have lost my shit as well. Fortunately I have never had those type of issues with IE to date, but then I have never sent a parcel outside of SA's borders through them. My parcels have all been between major city centers and surrounds, within SA.