Thread: Advice Needed - qb79

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Advice Needed - qb79

Good day,
    I joined this forum yesterday,
    I was doing a lot of searching and trying to ascertain a few things,
    A lot of the info Regarding the topic I was looking up where quiet old, and I could not really find the info on the web for these places,
    So I assume the details or peoples have changed/moved etc.

What I want to know is a recommendation where to Take a Qb79 to, to sort out a few issues on it.
    I bought it stock standard with a 9 ounce paint ball gun cylinder, and that cylinder is touching the barrel..
    I have read that one can sort this via, a barrel raise or other modification,
    also I be looking at getting a scope for it ( These particular stock standard Iron sights on it are Well I am not a fan of them, compared to other stock standard iron sights)and want that zeroed in and tuned to shoot as accurately as it possibly can
    At the moment with the iron Site at about 10meters its grouping is all over the place, and at times feels like I struggle to hit the broad side of a barn (ok I exaggerate)
    I can hit a tin bean can okish, but the pellets are not going where I am aimming entirely.. Partly can be the co2 canister, and partly could be the ammo (15.4grain gamo pro hunter)
    I Live in the randburg Area, so where would you recommend to take this air gun to have these issues sorted,
    I quiet like the gun and seems to have been reviewed well, and Seems good for the price.
    any advice will be highly appreciated!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Kevin - Airvolution
    076 603 1841

Kevin works wonders on these.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyRaison View Post
    I Live in the randburg Area, so where would you recommend to take this air gun to have these issues sorted,

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If the 9 ounce CO2 cylinder is touching the barrel, you may have big problems. Rather attach a foto of the rifle, so we do not have to guess. :-)

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Good day,
    I joined this forum yesterday,
    I was doing a lot of searching and trying to ascertain a few things,
    A lot of the info Regarding the topic I was looking up where quiet old, and I could not really find the info on the web for these places,
    So I assume the details or peoples have changed/moved etc.

What I want to know is a recommendation where to Take a Qb79 to, to sort out a few issues on it.
    I bought it stock standard with a 9 ounce paint ball gun cylinder, and that cylinder is touching the barrel..
    I have read that one can sort this via, a barrel raise or other modification,
    also I be looking at getting a scope for it ( These particular stock standard Iron sights on it are Well I am not a fan of them, compared to other stock standard iron sights)and want that zeroed in and tuned to shoot as accurately as it possibly can
    At the moment with the iron Site at about 10meters its grouping is all over the place, and at times feels like I struggle to hit the broad side of a barn (ok I exaggerate)
    I can hit a tin bean can okish, but the pellets are not going where I am aimming entirely.. Partly can be the co2 canister, and partly could be the ammo (15.4grain gamo pro hunter)
    I quiet like the gun and seems to have been reviewed well, and Seems good for the price.
    any advice will be highly appreciated!

Come past the shop
    Outdoor pitstop
    Corner of beyers naude and pendoring road Blackheath pavilion Cresta Opposite McDonalds.
    Kevin worked on few qb-79's this past month. I got his address and details here somewhere. He sometimes doesn't hear his phone haha

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rashaadk View Post
    Come past the shop
    Outdoor pitstop
    Corner of beyers naude and pendoring road Blackheath pavilion Cresta Opposite McDonalds.
    Kevin worked on few qb-79's this past month. I got his address and details here somewhere. He sometimes doesn't hear his phone haha
    I appreciate this
    I will definitely make a turn, likely this Saturday Morning... perhaps earlier depending on work and Availability.
    Last edited by AntonyRaison; 11-04-18 at 12:59.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Frederick View Post
    If the 9 ounce CO2 cylinder is touching the barrel, you may have big problems. Rather attach a foto of the rifle, so we do not have to guess. :-)
    It is touching the Barrel..
    I can grab some pics tonight,
    at the moment the pics I have are not going to show that well..
    I have a video I made, but also wont show that issue well.
    But maybe you will spot it in some of the frames or short Shots where I have the camera looking over the Rifle.... It touches barrel where it screws in.. and the rest of the canister doesnt touch it..
    pic (is attached I hope it works via the image hosting site I have put it on)

short video

Last edited by AntonyRaison; 11-04-18 at 13:06.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

partly could be the ammo (15.4grain gamo pro hunter)
    Regarding the pellets - melt them down and use to cast fishing weights and try using some JSB's in your rifle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Regarding the pellets - melt them down and use to cast fishing weights and try using some JSB's in your rifle.
    Awesome Advice hahaha... yeah I was suspecting these pellets also not great!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Update on this...
    Well I went in to Outdoor pit stop,
    Very helpful
    I managed to get different pellets: premier Ultra Magnum 5.5 14.3 grain ( So Thank You Dale, Seems it was like mostly the pellets that was issue here )
    and a 4x40 asg scope
    I tried with this new configuration quickly at 10 meters, and I have to say made a world of difference....
    I will try again on weekend at further distances and see how it goes.. (if it seems to remain fairly accurate, I am honeslty not going to do anything, if I still have issue I will get hold of Kevin to help)

10 meters this was a 5 shot grouping (the on shot that was bit to the right was a twitch on my part)

The rifle looks a lot better with a scope also

REP: WS Airguns

User Info Menu

Having played and modded the QB79s now for years, I still prefer the QB in .177, but yes maybe with the 14gr pellets and low velocity it can make a nice plinker at short range

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wimpie swart View Post
    Having played and modded the QB79s now for years, I still prefer the QB in .177, but yes maybe with the 14gr pellets and low velocity it can make a nice plinker at short range
    Yes,
    Seems to make a decent plinker, even upto 30meters
    I was last night getting similar groupings at about 20meters
    So I am fairly happy with it for the now, I spoke to Kevin also, and I can change the canister ( i believe he puts on a soda stream bottle)
    At a later stage I may decide to mod it more, but for now I am very happy and I am having a lot of fun upto about 30meters... (pending improving my own techniques)

User Info Menu

Yes,
    Seems to make a decent plinker, even upto 30meters
    I was last night getting similar groupings at about 20meters
    So I am fairly happy with it for the now, I spoke to Kevin also, and I can change the canister ( i believe he puts on a soda stream bottle)
    At a later stage I may decide to mod it more, but for now I am very happy and I am having a lot of fun upto about 30meters... (pending improving my own techniques)

I am going to rebuild 2 QB79 rifles in the next couple of weeks, rebuilding the complete bottom tube to PCP tube. So new valve, hammer and adding an SSG so that velocity can be adjusted. Should work nice for HFT.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I took it on the weekend to Kevin,
    took a few minutes to machine the Tap and put on a soda bottle canister
    And he set the trigger pull better and helped sort out parallax in scope, now the rifle it self is shooting really really accurately
    Thank you all for the assistance.
    Out door pit - Rashaadk and Kevin (Airvoultion)
    What awesome people, very helpful.
    Last edited by AntonyRaison; 16-04-18 at 08:12.

User Info Menu

You cannot go wrong with a "Kevin tune"