Thread: Harnessing the power BAM B51 & PR900W

REP: Ratel Sporting Airguns
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Harnessing the power BAM B51 & PR900W

Has anyone been able to harness the power & reduce the energy to sub 12ft/lbs successfully of these two air rifles.

I replaced the BAM's poppet spring, main spring and installed a main spring tension screw.
    Reused the original poppet, although I feel iet's to big and the forces between low and high air pressure is to much.
    I have reduced the air flow to plenum volume, in effect reducing air usage.
    Also reduced the transfer port to 3mm, still need to test a 2.5mm TP and record difference in velocity and consistency.

Currently it's fairly accurate with 6x 10mm 5 shot groups over 20m, extreme spread is around 30fps, I'm sure there is more potential in there somewhere.

PR900W is a totally different frustration, but more of that later and will post pics.

Input from the gurus and maybe suggestions would be nice

Cheers

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ooooo forgot to mention, made a new hammer, original hammer weighed in at 145g including tophat.
    New hammer with Nylon tophat weighed in at 75g.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I've done some mods towards that end on a PR900W, but I aimed for quite a bit lower power...:
    A Different SPA Predator ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sirshootalot View Post
    I've done some mods towards that end on a PR900W, but I aimed for quite a bit lower power...:
    A Different SPA Predator ~ Air Rifle SA Forums
    Awesome work there , like the mods to the stock , need to do similar as this is for a 8 year old dude starting of HFT
    Will be testing velocity on the PR900W from 180bar and see if the ES will be lower over 30 shots.

Cheers

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

This is what I have done to the PR900W valve assembly, including reducing TP to 2.5mm, cut 4 coils of the mainspring and polished the hammer.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have to say: this little rifle surprised me very much, decent quality, very good barrel(maybe I was just lucky), lovely to work on and it taught me a lot!!
    I achieved what I wanted with mine, without even touching the valve assembly...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UllUllA View Post
    This is what I have done to the PR900W valve assembly, including reducing TP to 2.5mm, cut 4 coils of the mainspring and polished the hammer.

Hi Ullulla

There is a comprehensive tuning manual on the internet, if you dont find it PM me your email and I can send it to you.
    I would suggest you make a anti bounce hammer for the BAM, it will reduce air consumption and increase consistency.
    /
    Pieter

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The PR900W is running as consistent below 12ft/lb as I can get it.
    Just added a 7g top hat to increase the weight of hammer.

Redone the crown on the barrel, no improvement on accuracy, suppose it's a dud barrel.
    Used a lot of different configurations with position of barrel band and different silencers, with or without no change in the shotgun group.

Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi good people.
    I'm new to all this so please forgive any "duh" questions.
    I've just recently purchased a CRUX CW600 (which I'm sure is exactly the same as the SPA, ARTEMIS OR VICTORY) and had it converted from Co2 to PCP because I couldn't find a PR900W in 4.5mm.
    Fitted a BSA 8 x 12 x 44 Deerhunter scope and I must say, on a dead rest, it's almost impossible to miss a 30mm spinner at 30m. Grouping is within the size of a R1 coin.
    But my question is, because this gun does not have an air guage on its reservoir (because it's a modded CW 600), how many full power shots can I expect from a full charge?

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Reggie

The CW600 has a steel tube with maximum pressure rating of around 95 bar.
    The PR900W has a titanium tube with maximum pressure rating of around 200 bar.

When the CW600 was converted to PCP, did they replace the steel tube with a proper tube to handle the pressure.
    If so, excellent, if not, 200 bar has a huge amount of energy.

Cheers

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UllUllA View Post
    Hi Reggie

The CW600 has a steel tube with maximum pressure rating of around 95 bar.
    The PR900W has a titanium tube with maximum pressure rating of around 200 bar.

When the CW600 was converted to PCP, did they replace the steel tube with a proper tube to handle the pressure.
    If so, excellent, if not, 200 bar has a huge amount of energy.

Cheers
    What he said!!

I certainly would not trust the original air tube to hold any PCP type pressures...unless, the original CO2 setup is used, at much lower pressures, probably below 1000psi.
    This would obviously give lower power/velocities, as well as a much smaller shot count, also not forgetting that the air tube is quite a bit shorter, with less air volume...!

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Hi good people.
    I'm new to all this so please forgive any "duh" questions.
    I've just recently purchased a CRUX CW600 (which I'm sure is exactly the same as the SPA, ARTEMIS OR VICTORY) and had it converted from Co2 to PCP because I couldn't find a PR900W in 4.5mm.
    Fitted a BSA 8 x 12 x 44 Deerhunter scope and I must say, on a dead rest, it's almost impossible to miss a 30mm spinner at 30m. Grouping is within the size of a R1 coin.
    But my question is, because this gun does not have an air guage on its reservoir (because it's a modded CW 600), how many full power shots can I expect from a full charge?
    Hi Reggie and welcome.

Just to clear things up, do you mean it has had an HPA conversion? Like Ulrich said, putting 200bar in a tube rated at 95 is playing with fire.