Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY hamster and few other questions...........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default DIY hamster and few other questions...........

hi all,

i've been practising shooting off the FT position lately. perhaps due to my short legs or my boop or both, it gets a bit uncomfortable after while........and thus unstable...etc. i'm thinking of adding a "hamster" to the stock just in front of the trigger by using existing holes (stock to action and trigger guard to stock) and shoot off the knee with a straight back. can anyone suggest the appropriate material/hardware (adjustable bolts as used in cheek piece...etc) and where i can source them????

with regards to HFT, what's the ruling on the scope? clearly the magnification is restricted to 12X max......but can the zoom and parallax be adjusted during the competition?

i've seen 2 versions of the S200 (CZ and AA) and the CZ's are considerably cheaper. what's the difference?

thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would suggest using either a turned wood or nylon hamster. Without the rifle in hand it is difficult to suggest a method for fastening to the stock, but it would have to be a bolt system that aresecure, but still allow you to strip the rifle without to much hassle.

As far as the rules go (my understanding) No paralax adjustment, zoom yes to 12x.

CZ use a cheap barrel and the trigger is also slightly differant , don't forget NAME.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

S200 difference ... the NAME, Air Arms is longer than CZ, which ofcourse makes it more expensive ... haha

HFT, no adjustment while in a competition, set mag to 12x, set parallax (i think) and use mildot/holdover-under.

Hamster, has to look "professional" ...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

HFT - under UK rules there is no limit to magnification but not touching the scope after starting the course of fire.

Under the SA rules as posted on AFTSA.co.za it stipulates a magnification of a maximum of 12x, but there is nothing to say that you cannot make alterations to other settings as long as the magnification does not go above 12x.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"Hamster, has to look "professional" ..."

yeah, i think so too! i've decided to get one made by the local gunsmith. i basically showed him a pic of EVII......and he reckon he can make a similar one (just the hamster) up chop chop. the whole idea is to make it removable, and by using existing "holes" so that it can be returned back to its original state.........good for resale, hft, hunting...i guess.

i'm also looking to get 'em one of those adjustable recoil pads, anyone know if they are available locally?

well, that it! my FT rig for the coming season. BSA Hornet (rifle), BSA/BSquare mounts, sidewinder 8.5-34 X 52, manders silencer, hamster, adj recoil pad............while i'm at it, i will also prestick one of those bubble/levelers on and maybe a piece of wool (windicator) too . the more i get to know the hornet, the more i realize it's gona out perform me. did a quick chrony session today, the best 30 shots string varied by less than 6fps. i guess only when i get to the stage where i will "really" benefit from a match trigger/more adjustable stock/better barrel...etc i will consider a more dedicated set-up.

HFT - so is't PX or no PX? i guess i better get it clearified before the next club shoot.

as for the CZ/AA, just found this out today............AA fitted with quick filling adaptor, CZ filling by removing the cylinder.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

At this stage HFT doesn't really exist according to SAFTAA, see the rules on www.fieldtarget.co.za

On the Hamster, have a look on the internet, you will find some really amazing examples, the best one I've seen is a kneerest on the one side and a grip for your hand on the other side, it looks really comfortable and practical, especially when used in the stading position. Removable is definately a good thing, when you sell the BSA you can take it off and mount in on your next gun.

Yes they adjustable buttplates are available locally but shop around !! They can be VERY expensive at A but cheap at B.

How much for the SideWinder ? Tell me some more it, hows the clarity, the price ... lemme know. Hows the rangefinding ?
    Windicator, well personally I don't see the need, look at the trees and the grass, that way you can see what the wind is like at all the different distances, your not limited to the muzzle of your rifle.

Field Target Hunter Class (no official scores for this), Seems you only have to set the MAG, you can adjust the rest !! Oh well, the rules doesn't say that you can't....

CZ/AA, well S200S has quick fill, S200T also has a removable cylinder .........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks for the advice.

for the HFT - i'm envolved with starting a FT club in DBN, there's a lot of interests from the yougsters........but as we all know FT can get very costly and technical, HFT seems to be the better option for them....plus it's great fun and great to get people shooting. it would be nice to get it right from the start, not serious though, the main thing is to have fun. i'm actually planing to use my diana for the HFT, i guess some-what it will keep me "honest".

As for The S200, i'm hoping x'mas will come early this year....... i've been looking at a hunting rig. now that AA has launched the self-indexing mag for the S200, it's a really sound "budget" alternative. but, it's no use........i've changed my mind from the talon to s200 to now a s410K. besides, it's pointless......i must first convince the finance minister that i do need another and 2ndly, no we don't really need to do up the bathroom........wish me luck.

i got the sidewinder from camix for R2940. they retail for GBP295-330 in the uk so i guess the price i got's pretty good. At the time i was actually looking for a hunting scope for the above......well it will just have to wait. i gathered that they are either a "hit" or "miss" from airgunforum/bbs, so i made sure that Camix visually and physically check the scope before sending it to me. the scope is great, just have to get used to the oversized sniper turrets. the optics are pretty good too, in fact they are on par with the lynx 6.5-20. perhaps due to 1" tube, once the mag gets above 20 or so it gets a bit dark. i'm not an expert on scopes, but even at 34X the picture is acceptable (no worse than my contender at 24X). i'vent had the chance to calibrate the side wheel (now with expected kak weather for the weekend, prob. will only do it when i get the optional big wheel), but even with the "factory-markings" on the small wheel, it's decent up to about 50 yards. and it's consistent with the corresponding calculated distance (mil-dots). so overall, i think the sidewinder is a great buy, it does everything i expected from a FT scope (currently) and some more. btw, what tape do you guys use on the scopes? masking tape?

One of the CPT guys, Casper, was kind enough to send me a pic of his FT setup (S400). the workmanship on his DIY hamster and the big wheel for his Nikko is truely amazing. now i know exactly what i want. thanks..and that walnut thumbhole......heerlik.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just remember that in HFT you are not allowed to use the FT sitting position! Good luck with the finance minister, have the same problem at the moment.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

Re: HFT, if you use the UK rules you are not allowed to use the sitting position, however unless there have been changes that have not been widely publicised, the SAFTAA Hunter Class rules that can be found on AFTSA.co.za give the option of using the sitting position.

They also do not prevent you from dialling or parallaxing your scope provided the magnification is not above 12x.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

FT Sitting position seems to be allowed

copy this link into browser and see the rules

http://www.fieldtarget.co.za/pages/saftaa/rules_hc.htm

these are the updated rules as received from Jaco Human of SAFTAA last week

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

eeish, i don't know anymore...........

now that i've been practising the FT posi sans riser/hamster...
    it's getting kinda comfortable/stable (i think). i mean i went through 110 shots this afternoon with 2 cig. breaks without any serious discomfort. interestingly (i tried this on sat.) 111th shot, no change in POI, 112th -2" POI and 113th shot way below target and air leaking from breech. i guess it shows that the regulator's working. anyways, see pic, these are 10 shot groups from 12m. i know it's close, but hey it's the only place where i can shoot "legally". ultimately i would like to reduced the "holes" to less than 9mm, but i guess we all have to start somewhere............

neilg, thanks for the update.......i see there are a few changes re FT target distances/rules.........
    also, i would like to confirm something re clothing/gloves...
    currently i'm using a ski glove + wrist band (left) is't legal?
    how about one of those skateboard/roller blade wrist guards? and a back brace to protect my lower back? (ok, ok, i played prop in my school days...) thanks.

btw, i got a quote from the local stock maker today......for a custom fitted (grip grooves/size, fore-end depth, cheek-piece height...etc) thumbhole with target/vertical pistol grip in american walnut (std. grade i assume?) plus recoil pad, "london finish" for R6000. does't seem a bitter much? it sure looked good though............

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Keep on practising the FT Position, if the rules don't say no then you use it.
    Just note that "HFT" in SA is not scored and "recognised" by SAFTAA like FT is... compare the rules and you'll see
    Under FT rules ...
    SAFTAA also doesn't cater for serious Spring Piston Shooters by putting them in a seperate category ! I personally believe there should be a Unlimited Spring Piston and a Unlimited PCP class, then under these 2 you break it up into Seniors, Juniors and U/14s.
    On the rules, if it does not specifically say that you're not allowed to use it then you can use it until SAFTAA fixes the "mistake". If the rules are incomplete then use it to your advantage ...
    Note that there are still mistakes with the FT rules, example from FT rules "Only fixed modifications will be allowed and no alterations will be allowed during the match except for turret adjustment on scopes", is the PA ring also seen as a turret ? Not in my opinion but I might the wrong ...
    Your question on clothing/glove ... "Any type of clothing, glove, or footwear is allowed provided it is not a hazard to the shooter or other competitors. No ?shooting jackets, shoes or pants? will be allowed. No extra padding on pants, jackets or shirts will be allowed", that's what the rules say, ANYTHING else goes, again if the rules are vague or incomplete you can use it to your advantage !!

R 6000 for the stock, I don't think so !! I was quoted something like R 2500 to have a EV2 stock made for my S400 Classic (except for recoilpad). I really don't care how good it looks, that's bloody expensive. My advice, sell the Hornet, add R 6000 to the money you got for the Hornet and buy a LG100 ... (makes sense doesn't it)

later
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Sep 21 2004, 09:09AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I was involved initially with the design of the rules and as far as the seperate classes goes ,yes it would be ideal. The problem is that we dont get enough people at the shoots to cater for all the various "classes". Just renember that would cost the club at least an extra 12 medals (no prizes for ladies/girls ????) per comp plus prizes. At the rate firearm applications are turned down due to "lack of motivation" we will probally be there in 2 years.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Lewis,

I'm personally not very big on the trophy/medal story at club level, clubs simply don't have money for it. AFTSA will give certificates for monthly competitions and maybe medals at the end of the year to the most consistent club members for the various classes. It's cheaper and much easier.

As for "(no prizes for ladies/girls ????) ", welcome to equal rights, compete against the men, men have absolutely no advantage over the ladies in a shooting competition ! It's about skill and then ofcourse good quality equipment...

SAFTAA, the rules and FT in general is definately a long way from being "perfect", but it will get there in time. It's just very unfair to put a TX200 against a EV2 or the like and will discourage Spring Piston shooters very quickly, which means that it will have to be looked at urgently. Look at Silhouette Shooting as an example, they have STD rifles and Silhouette Rifles ...

My 2 cents ...
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Sep 22 2004, 09:31AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Neil
    Yes I agree on differant rifle classes (springer/pcp).
    My wife that never shoots(practice) knocked over 2 targets less than me yesterday. If she start to take shooting seriously I will have to pull up my socks.