Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Airvolution Paragon Bullpup

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default The Airvolution Paragon Bullpup

Hello All

After watching this local is lekker bullpup being developed for some time now I had the opportunity to spend some time behind the trigger.

So I thought i would do a mini review on this puppy. All comments and views are my own opinions on this bully as I would like to call it.

Where do we start:

Firstly it is a locally manufactured air rifle.The big appeal here is that back up service and parts will always be available which is a huge plus for me.

As we all know there are a number of these bullpups on the market from various manufactures.But I don't think there is one that is locally manufactured.Until now!

The Paragon is very well balanced in my opinion and feels extremely comfortable when shouldered. Standard calibres are available as well as magazines.

In terms of quality of finish there is a dramatic improvement IMO.

Performance:

Well we all want performance and accuracy as that is a pre-requisite to most of us.

All I can say there are two things that stick out for me. No1 The trigger on this thing is amazing and the shot cycle is unbelievable.I have no idea what is hidden inside this trigger group but all I can say is WOW
    No2 The accuracy to me which is the most important.Again this is spot on and fantastic.As you may have noticed so far is that i have not mentioned who makes these rifles,but all i can say that "HIS" barrels are back.

I will have to post some grouping pics but that I will do later.

These rifles can be set up individually to your personal requirements.

Not going to divulge in everything at one go. Will update as i go Along.

Airvolution Paragon Bullpup

The Twig

REP: Xhariep Jagters Colesberg

User Info Menu

I held a "bully" stock in my shoulder last year when I visited him during July. Dont know whether its the same type of stock but I was quite impressed

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

What's the point of a review without pictures of the weapon. Just a thought......

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Interesting......

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Lol, nice attempt at being mysterious but the heading immediately let the cat out of the bag that Kevin/Airvolution makes them...
    Agreed they're quite impressive and the ergonomics of the stock are very good. The resultant look of the gun is pretty original.
    The hammer 'spring' is also a very cool innovation allowing for a very fast lock time, but I'm sure that's part of your next post so I'll let you have that one!

Hopefully these do very well for Kevin! I'm seriously considering one as my next bullpup.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17/'19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    What's the point of a review without pictures of the weapon. Just a thought......
    Edd Zackery

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Airvolution Paragon Bullpup

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

She is a beuty!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    She is a beuty!
    Should have gone to specsavers.

The adventures of Kuber:

Specsavers TV ad - (2011) - YouTube
    Last edited by Dale; 15-05-18 at 11:36.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You impying it is ugly?..........

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Exciting times for the local startups entering the various arenas. How many local projects do we have now, I know three? Kevin has been producing Airvolutions for ages but I like it that he is trying new things & designs. You go Kev.
    Local is lekker!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    You impying it is ugly?..........
    The action looks OK, but the stock is fugly.

I guess it is still a prototype though, so hopefully might end up with something that looks a bit better by production time.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Agree with DSF, it's always exciting to see ZA made airgun products come to market. However, time for some constructive comment.

As this airgun was hitherto only known about in whispers, the "review" lacks essential information for what is ostensibly the first public reveal of the Airvolution Paragon; the slow "strip club" reveal won't fly here.
    We need more specification data: Specific calibre availability; cylinder capacity; cylinder has QF; cylinder has a gauge; length; weight; barrels - all Airvolution manufacture yes/no; barrel length; shot count; scope rail options; stock options; silencer options; shroud - yes/no; trigger adjustability; power adjustability; expected power output in factory spec; etc ?

You have provided photos of two different Paragons; are both considered production airguns or are they pre production prototypes? Is Airvolution ready to take orders?

Personally I don't much care for the stock in the second photo and I don't understand the severe rake on the shoulder pad/butt; maybe for someone with a giraffe neck? However, Airvolution has always provided a number stock options on previous models so I assume that this is same for the Paragon and that one could reasonably expect to land up with a stock to one's liking.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I think DSF had some input on the stock? Unless I misheard when talking to Kevin about it last. Maybe he can provide insight there.
    Looks marmite/fairly ugly but as I said it's ergonomics are actually quite good, and last I checked my neck is a fairly standard human one. That severe rake is quite similar to the edgun R5's too.
    The hammer spring I mentioned is a gas ram, which is supposed to speed up lock time and improve consistency. Don't know how much but it did make for a very gentle and crisp shot cycle when I tried it.
    What I don't know is how hammer spring adjustment will function.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

That front end grip on the stock does look nigh exactly like the FT stock Kevin made me back in the day.
    We designed it so that you don't need to adjust hamster for positional shoots or any funny freestyle positions. It might look different but the ergonomics works really good. I used to shoot in the 'normal' knees up freestyle and that front boep rests comfy on the knee and for elevation you just slide the boep up/down on your knee or hand. Some people who shot 'deadman' style liked it straight off the bat, some did not like it at all for deadman. Really comfy for positionals.
    As a working rig I think that design lends well to shooting offhand and from hides etc so methinks other than looks (which is partly in the eye of the beholder ) there is nothing wrong with the stock. But hey what do I know, I am just a clueless keyboard warrior. :-)
    I have an Airvolution poly barrel fitted to my Daystate Air Ranger and can attest to the accuracy potential.

So give us the goodies as CK demanded!