Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best air rifle for long distance shooting

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Best air rifle for long distance shooting

Hi everyone
    I'm asking for advice on what rifle to get for long distance shots (say over 100m). Currently my go to gun is the Hatsan mod.95 which does fine so far up to 80m and is capable of hitting 100m targets if I compensate enough for the bullet drop. But I feel the need for a more powerful gun? Will the 1250 fps guns do the trick or will they just be inaccurate every shot? What do I look for when buying a air rifle capable of making shots over 100m ? Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

What are you wanting to hit at 100m +?

In general for consistent 100m shooting you are starting to get into the mid to upper end pcp arena.

No matter what you will need to get acquainted with your gun, the ballistics of your particular setup and practice to make anything more than lucky hits. Pellet drop is going nowhere.
    The more powerful airguns have significantly more momentum and kinetic energy, but all shoot in the 800-940fps range. Higher than 900 usually ends up in terrible accuracy.
    So despite the fact that the heavier projectiles they shoot have better ballistic coefficients than the 0.177 pellets the hatsan you have is shooting, they shoot anything but 'flat'.

Anyway you could go on for hours and days on this stuff, particularly when you get into long range shooting. Others will have their bit to say but in the end you'll need to Google and read (and watch videos) a fair bit to come to grips with the finer points.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. At the moment we shooting beer bottles at 80m (77.85m to be exact) but we'll soon be moving past that. How does the weather effect the shooting? Does it have a major effect on the range and accuracy and if so, in what way does it effect it?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Wind is the major player, along with altitude and hence barometric pressure. Things like temperature affect things less, for pcp's at least. Springers are a different story, with temperature affecting muzzle velocity a fair bit. That said I have nothing to do with springers to the amount of impact it has is mystery to me.

The ballistic coefficient of pellets amounts in a practical sense to the degree of atmospheric 'drag', and compared to bullets they have poor bc's - think of them as small lead shuttlecocks. Makes sense then that wind will push them around a fair amount and that if the air is thinner at high altitude the pellet will be subjected to less drag than at sea level, all affecting trajectory and where you have to aim.

Chairgun (free program/app) can help you understand the effects a bit too, once you get the basics. Also try googling 'BB Pelletier ballistics'. Tom Gaylord has been writing about these things for ages and explains all this stuff much better than I'll ever be able to.

Cheers

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot macros. Your advice was very useful to me.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In my opinion you are chasing rainbows , but enjoy this anyway.
    100 metres or further is very far for an airgun , particularly if using the small calibers (4.5mm and 5.5mm) ,also it will be very difficult to consistently hit your target with a springer , it can be done however.

Your best option in my opinion will be a good PCP in 5.5mm or larger caliber.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks juniper. I'll have a look into 5.5 pcp's its been something I've been considering for a while

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kw2112 View Post
    Thanks juniper. I'll have a look into 5.5 pcp's its been something I've been considering for a while
    If, like me, you prefer springers, get a HW80 with a vortek kit in there.
    Ultra smooth and delivers 20fpe in 5.5mm.
    If you come past Jhb contact me and come shoot mine.

WEIHRAUCH 80. 5.5MM FAC - Pellet Gun

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would really appreciate that kuberboef. I am more a springer guy to be honest

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Apples and pears...

For accuracy and consitency at the longer distances, esp. when considering 'animated' targets, PCP is the only way to go.

Springer at long distance is not a long-term pursuit, unless you are playing 'Lottery-type' beer-pong shooting games.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Springers are a real challenge, sold all my pcp's years ago

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    Springers are a real challenge, sold all my pcp's years ago
    Lol, no doubt that they're a real challenge.
    Problem is, 100m is challenge enough. Especially with, as Blud puts it, 'animated' targets. So 5.5m PCP plus plenty of reading and practice really are the only real option in this case

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Lol, no doubt that they're a real challenge.
    Problem is, 100m is challenge enough. Especially with, as Blud puts it, 'animated' targets. So 5.5m PCP plus plenty of reading and practice really are the only real option in this case
    Well lrt's see

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I am a springer person myself , in fact I do not own any PCP's at all.

100 plus meters with a springer against possibly "animated" targets is theoretically possible , but------- .

In this case going over to the "dark" side with a big bore makes a lot more sense to me.

Peace.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to shoot a pcp yet... I have the co2 Artemis 4.5 which is extremely accurate but that's about all it is (would never bother going for shots further than 50m), so far I've enjoyed my springers, especially the mod.95 because it has a nice power to accuracy balance