Thread: Multiple questions

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Multiple questions

Hello all,

So I have a few questions which I'm sure have been asked millions of times, so I must apologies. All questions revolve around the need or desire for a break-action which I need to be tough and relatively flat shooting. I have a PCP in .177 which is a tack driver, so I was looking at a 5.5mm.

1) I was looking at the HW90 or the Diana 340 classic, not a fan of the Diana, but I can't have much of an opinion and I'm not sure on the HW90 either... Any preferences or other suggestions?
    2) All things equal, would it be more advisable to shoot heavier .177 pellets or lighter 5.5mm pellets for a bit more punch? IE, what would (usually) be the better option to give me more punch on 2L's with a flatter trajectory between 20 and 50m? I know there's no "free lunch", just asking for a theoretical answer...
    3) Does the 20 cal offer benefits of both or shortcomings of both? I suspect the latter, but I'm incompetent in this field, so I don't put much trust in my opinion. Also, costs??
    4) Feel free to give me an uitkak, it's the only way I learn.

Kind regards

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Good day and welcome Maverick.

You've sort of answered your question yourself. "Relatively flat shooting" points you in the direction of .177 as they inherently have a flatter trajectory.

I'll answer your question with another question: What is the purpose of the breaker? Are you moving to HFT, plinking, Pest control, Benchrest etc etc.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dear Maverick,
    You're correct indeed. Your questions were asked - and answered by many others before. A good read on various air rifle related forums will equip you with a wealth of knowledge - but with no black & white answers, because usually there are none. Fortunately, ballistics are scientific. For that, there is the Chairgun app, amongst others.
    Once you have figured out your own value system for air rifles, apply the many opinions of others, mix it slowly with the facts, and take it from there.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Open Champ '16
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '17
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

My limited experience has been that the 5.5mm in springer travels too slow, you really need to be super accurate on distance to get the drop right. It also has a longer cycle time making hold sensitivity worse. I would rather stick to the .177 and try heavier ammo. My TX 200 hated the slower speed with heavies, best results I ever got were with the 8.44gr JSB's. The monsters and heavies fell out of the air and just didn't want to group at all. I have both calibers in PCP, my 5.5 loves 16gr at around 840fps, anything slower and the accuracy is gone, thus my reluctance to go for a springer in 5.5. The heavier pellets like travelling at higher speeds.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Allo

I have several 5.5mm springers and loe them.
    Just remember you need to tune them for serious FAC as a sub 12fpe they are useless.
    My favourite of the lot is the HW80.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

My 2c....

Define what you want from the (springer) rifle first.

Let's make the assumption it's for plinking...5.5 and 5mm is a waste of money then. Too much pellet for too little task! It WILL end up as a closet queen.

Let's assume it's for PC... rather use your PCP.

So....

You DON'T need 'hitting power'. You need ACCURACY!

If you want versatility, accuracy and a bit of fun, go for one of the smaller HW break barrels. HW50 is ideal for plinking and basic PC.

The Walther LGV is another &*^%ingawesome break barrel.

If you want versatility to take it competitive, go for a HW97K. It's not a break barrel but it is one of the best springers around... either No.1 or No. 2! You get the resale value free!

DON'T even consider a new Diana anything. They suck dog balls, in general.

DON'T buy cheap!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    My 2c....

Define what you want from the (springer) rifle first.

Let's make the assumption it's for plinking...5.5 and 5mm is a waste of money then. Too much pellet for too little task! It WILL end up as a closet queen.

Let's assume it's for PC... rather use your PCP.

So....

You DON'T need 'hitting power'. You need ACCURACY!

If you want versatility, accuracy and a bit of fun, go for one of the smaller HW break barrels. HW50 is ideal for plinking and basic PC.

The Walther LGV is another &*^%ingawesome break barrel.

If you want versatility to take it competitive, go for a HW97K. It's not a break barrel but it is one of the best springers around... either No.1 or No. 2! You get the resale value free!

DON'T even consider a new Diana anything. They suck dog balls, in general.

DON'T buy cheap!

There is a certain sense of achievement to shoot a proper 5.5mm springer, set up correctly well.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    There is a certain sense of achievement to shoot a proper 5.5mm springer, set up correctly well.

I don't disagree, but on balance, owning one is essentially the domain of a 'collector'... someone who has multiple guns that cover function. It's overkill in every aspect of owning 'one springer'.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I like being shown the error of my ways, thanks all for the replies! Going to keep my eyes open and whatever I end up with I will have tuned and set up "just right". Think I'm going to keep with the .177 trend as suggested and just shoot heavier pellets if appropriate. I assume it would be better to tune down with in a rifles capabilities than tune up to the top end, all things equal?

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I like being shown the error of my ways, thanks all for the replies! Going to keep my eyes open and whatever I end up with I will have tuned and set up "just right". Think I'm going to keep with the .177 trend as suggested and just shoot heavier pellets if appropriate. I assume it would be better to tune down with in a rifles capabilities than tune up to the top end, all things equal?
    Why would you even want to shoot heavier pellets?

Shoot an 8.44 at between 750 and 800fps. Hit what you aim at, and save your scope and spring. A proven formula that needs no discussion.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I don't disagree, but on balance, owning one is essentially the domain of a 'collector'... someone who has multiple guns that cover function. It's overkill in every aspect of owning 'one springer'.

I may be a bit of a collector........

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

Why would you even want to shoot heavier pellets?

Shoot an 8.44 at between 750 and 800fps. Hit what you aim at, and save your scope and spring. A proven formula that needs no discussion.
    +1