Thread: True chronograph fps reading vs manufacturer advertised fps

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default True chronograph fps reading vs manufacturer advertised fps

I would like to know from the guys who have measured their guns speed and how accurate the manufacturer claims have been... I've heard of gamos that are rated at 1250fps actually shooting at 850 (obviously the pellet is important information to add )... who has measured a 5.5mm shooting close to 1000fps and a 4.5mm at 900fps (I'm particularly interested in springer and nitro piston readings)

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

They shoot it with PBA pellets. With normal lead pellets you can't achieve the claimed speeds. Goole PBA pellets.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes, I understand they use different pellets... I'm actually trying to get a accurate picture of what the guns will shoot with normal lead pellets (a accurate measurement from the shooters not manufacturers) thanks for your reply cor

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Remember its the pellet type, shape and weight, PLUS the Altitude
    The higher you are above sea level, the faster the pellet travels

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I had a Bam 30-1 (Diana 48 clone) in 4.5mm that at sea level managed 909 ft/sec with H&N FTT pellets
    However I am more interested in the muzzle energy and extreme spread

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I believe it is the other way around. Highest velocity/power output at sea level. This has caused competitors to be DQ'd in competitions in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkimiah View Post
    Remember its the pellet type, shape and weight, PLUS the Altitude
    The higher you are above sea level, the faster the pellet travels

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Mercury I've noticed more ppl are interested in muzzle energy... I'm not sure I understand the term as well as I should though... and what is extreme speed? (I'm still new this so not familiar with all the terms )

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ok well I'm at a altitude of 1320m give or take 10m... I usually shoot with with jsb exact Diablo pellets. 7.44 and sometimes 8.44grain (in 4.5) and in 5.5 I've been using jsb exact Diablo 15.89 grain... I don't want to buy a gun that manufacturers say shoots 1000fps and it only shoots 800 (because I own 1 that shoots 800 already, but I don't want to buy 1 that claims 1250 in hope that it shoots 950 then it actually shoots 1100... so I'm actually looking for proof (from actual experience and not manufacturers claims) of a gun (springer) shooting between 900-1000 fps (because I got into pellet guns thanks to shooting 1 that clocked 950 and I've been chasing something simular since) it was a gamo although I have no idea which 1

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Energy is determined according to E=mc2
    Usually calculated in fpe or joules.
    A better figure to use for what the weapon is delivering, as speed alone is very dependent on the pellets being used ie Obama vs lead of various weights
    Extreme spread refers to the consistency from shot to shot. In the ideal world our rifles would spit out each pellet at exactly the same speed/energy level and put them all through the same hole at vast distances.
    Last edited by Keith T; 11-06-18 at 19:52.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith T... the information you have given has given me a much better understanding

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Interesting post and very good question for those new to air rifles.

The claimed speeds of your more commercial rifles (Gamo, Crosman, Cometa, Stoeger etc) will always be higher as they use the lightest possible pellets when doing their chrony strings.

Your higher end brands like Weihrauch, Airarms and Walther tend to be closer to advertised speeds, but more importantly the quote FPE as they're more often used in BR, HFT and FT where there is a maximum energy limit in the classes and you can be DQ'd as Keith T stated if you're over by a faction depending on how strict/lax the organisers are.

Hatsans in my experience have always been bang on the advertised figures, in most cases the speeds are actually 5-10% higher.

If you're looking at getting a rifle, see if the shops would allow you to test over a chrony. That way you have the live figures in front of you to compare against other brands. Just a reminder that speed is not as important as accuracy and feel. Holding a rifle and 'clicking" with it to me makes the shooting experience for more pleasurable than just putting lead down range at blistering paces.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input Thomas and Keith I have a better understanding of what to look for now...