Thread: BSA Super Meteor Mark IV .177

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA Super Meteor Mark IV .177

Hi guys, first time posting on these forums so forgive me if I did anything wrong with regards to format/section.

I have an air rifle that I identified to be a BSA Super Meteor Mark IV .177 judging by the design and serial number. I did attach some pics.

The gun still shoots (I tested it once) but it has been lying unused in a cupboard for a couple of years. I'm deciding whether to keep it or sell it to someone who knows more about these. I'm currently located just outside of Richards Bay but do make trips to Durban and Pretoria every so often.

If I sell it where would you sell one of these in SA and how much would it be worth approximately?

If I decide to keep it should I take it to someone who knows how to service it properly before I use it? As I said it hasn't been used in a few years and I'm not sure exactly how you look after these sadly I never learnt much past how to shoot. I don't want to mess it up by shooting without first oiling something I need to or whatever. So if that's needed do you guys know anyone reliable in the area who can do whatever would need to be done. As I said it shoots but I don't know much past that as I didn't want to use it in case something could go wrong.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Does the serial number start with NH. Cannot see so clearly in the picture. If so it is probably dated from 1979 to 1994?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yep serial number is NH 9215

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You are looking at R500-R800, probably the most common air rifle made.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I also have one of these MK IV's.
    The piston seal is synthetic, o-ring in fact, so unless it is perished, the rifle should be shooting ok and not desperately need any lubing or servicing.

However, not knowing when it was last cleaned and re-lubed it would be of better interest to have it serviced - degrease, new o-ring on piston, re-grease and assemble. That way it'll last another 30 years before it needs anything again