Thread: SIG Air ASP20 Gas Piston Air Rifle

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default SIG Air ASP20 Gas Piston Air Rifle

Hi Everyone

I am new here, so forgive me if that's not a common practice but I really would like to know your thoughts about the new proposal from Sig Sauer and their latest break barrel ASP20 gas piston air rifle!
    I know that Sig Sauer does not have much expertise in the air rifle field, however we know that Sig Sauer world renowned firearms are the weapons of choice for many of the premier global military, law enforcement and commercial users, So I guess that this new product will be an exclusive offer.
    This air rifle was introduced early this year in few international exhibitions like IWA Outdoor, Shooting show etc.etc. and seems that it took the world of spring/gas piston air rifles by storm with its amazing innovations most of them unseen anywhere else .

Please visit Sig Sauer website to learn a bit more if you are interested.

SIG Air ASP20 Gas Piston Air Rifle

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

True, Sig Sauer did not have institutional airgun knowledge but ASP did not start out completely cold. Sig is owned by the L&O Group who also own the likes of Diana via their GSG subsidiary and Swiss Arms. Joe Huston the VP in charge of the Sig ASP division did a stint at Cybergun and was responsible for them branching out into some traditional airgun models. The engineering manager is Ed Schultz who was formerly the chief engineer at Crosman. They also hired the likes of Justin Heckert (now sadly deceased), also formerly of Crosman, who also has quite a number of co-patents for airgun technology to his name. I am sure there a few others in engineering that were also airgun business veterans.

Out of all the new airguns listed in the bulletins in the past 3 years, the ASP20 is only one that tempts me to part with cash. I wish the local L&O agents would hurry up and get them here.

The trigger looks interesting.

Sig Sauer ASP20 Trigger Group

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Sig Sauer ASP20

Thanks ... I've exchanged few words with Luan Odendaal from Sig Sauer South Africa and he confirmed that we can expect to see ASP20 early next year in the country !
    Last edited by georgeveltchev; 03-07-18 at 19:09. Reason: corections

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

It has finally been officially launched: The New SIG ASP20 Air Rifle Is Launched - HAM Has All The News

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Tech overview part 1: New SIG Air ASP20 Air Rifle Technology Overview Part One

Sig has also changed the name of the "SIG SAUER Advanced Sport Pellet" business division to "Sig Air"

Also:
    Future SIG Air products will also include firearm and airgun versions of the same gun developed concurrently by the same team. And there’s more to come!

Another change is that the current license agreement whereby Cybergun uses the SIG SAUER brand on a number of airguns will be wound down. This means that – by the start of 2019 – all SIG-branded, air-powered guns will be genuine SIG products.
    Credit: HAM

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Part two of the tech overview is up: New SIG Air ASP20 Air Rifle Technology Overview Part Two

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

So are these in SA yet?

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

I think BnT are going to stock them.

Sig Sauer Airgun 5.5mm Ssg Asp20 Wood Suppressor

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by georgeveltchev View Post
    it took the world of spring/gas piston air rifles by storm with its amazing innovations most of them unseen anywhere else.

I am always somewhat sceptical of the term 'amazing innovations' when applied to the likes of a break barrel airgun.

At the end of the day the break barrel is not a new concept and there is only so much 'innovation' that can go into what is essentially a basic piece of engineering.

But I am sure there will be a vast throng gathering to loudly compliment the emperors latest set of new clothes...............

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

'amazing innovations' At a tad under R14G's it better be exceptionally amazing!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you buy online is closer to9K