Thread: Budget ended 5.5mm PCP

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Budget ended 5.5mm PCP

After a long hiatus, I'm trying to get back into the air rifle world.
    I have a cz200 which shoots brilliantly after a tweak from Kevin, but am looking for something with a bit more clout to reach out and touch things at greater distance on the farms.
    Budget is around 10k. I have two friends that will be buying the same, so total of 3 air rifles.

So far the options appear to be:
    Kral puncher and its variants (breaker, maxi S)
    Hatsan AT44 in 5.5mm

what is the general feel on these two? Any other suggestions? I understand there are a few people that have had issues with the hammer pins on the Kral guns, I assume this is still an issue. At the end of the day, accuracy and dependability will always be prioritised over absolute power.

Thanks guys
    (oh, if someone has any of these rifles I can perhaps look over and shoot if possible, I would be grateful. I'm near to Northcliff)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Allo

Get hold of Oom Piet and Tannie bets, there you can shoot the guuns before buying.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Ja, I tried messaging Oom Piet, haven't had a response. I got the number from his business page, is there perhaps another way to get hold of either of them?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

IMHO a decent budget 5.5 would be the Kral or the JK Noblese. For the farm I would not get the walnut stock but the composite as it has place for the 2nd magazine. With a little work on the trigger you have a decent working rifle for field work. Omp Piet and Melktert Bets are out of the selling of rifles. TRy Rashaad of Outdoor Pitstop. He will give you a good deal and backup service.

I has a Kral Bull Pup in 5.5 and it was very accurate out to 50 meters, that's the range distance I had to work with. I sold mine to fund another project which suits me better. If you have the bucks, there is a very nice Krieket going with scope on the sales forum. Its a beaut.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Ok, update
    I decided on the Kral puncher jumbo from Rashaad. He has always been excellent and has not disappointed again.
    Whats in the box?
    hard case, cheapy scope and rings, picatinny rail and cheapy bipod/foregrip, 2x 12 shot magazines, single shot tray, proprietary fill adaptor and allen keys.
    The trigger, cocking lever and cycling was a bit crunchy, this has settled significantly after firing about 150-200 pellets
    the stock is very nice walnut, but a bit roughly finished
    Out of the box, the trigger and sear were not engaging when cocking the rifle, this has resolved with a bit of fiddling with the trigger and sear adjustments, the trigger still needs some work though.

After getting the rifle, I scrubbed the barrel, lubed the trigger pivot points and wiped some of the factory grease off.
    I put my old Hawke 30 6-24 on the rifle and was quite surprised with the grouping, at 40m, 1cm grouping consistent for 4 magazines (48 shots)
    I have not chrony'd it yet.

Plans for the rifle:
    I have given the stock a light sand and started the application of boiled linseed oil, Builders did not have tung oil.
    I will remove the trigger mechanism and polish the contact surfaces
    Start the chrony/tuning mission

But so far, for the price, I have been very impressed.

Thanks again Rashaad, I will continue to recommend you!

MRP

User Info Menu

The kral puncher walnut is a beauty for a good price, maxi is just a bigger cc. I sell krals, I've got a at44 and im very impressed with the build quality and design on the at44. Let me know I should be able to get you a at44-10. I'd also suggest you havehave a look on youtube at the nova alpha or nova vista.

MRP

User Info Menu

Sorry did not read all, jumbo also a beauty, bit on the loud side, and guick connect that comes with leaks after awhile. Other then that gr8 rifle