Thread: High pressure concern!

MRP

User Info Menu

Default High pressure concern!

Hi guys

I need some advise please!!!
    I've got a client who wants to fill a 3ltr tank from a 14ltr tank.
    Both will be filled max on 220bar.
    My concerns are the following.
    First when we fill our rifles it's via a small entry port with a none return.
    Second it's a small volume.
    The tanks won't be a small port neither none return, also the volume is much more!
    I'm not liking this idea, obviously when we get our tanks filled it's 10-30min. This fill will be like filling a rifle!
    He wants to do it with filling stations on both ends and a male to male quick connect in between the 2 tanks/stations.
    Why you ask would he even want to do this?
    Well he wants the small light weight 3ltr in a back pack on the farm far away from his vehicle(with the 14ltr in it), so he can top up rifle a few times.
    Anyway, any advise would be appreciated!

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I'd say it should not be a problem as long as the receiving (3lt) cylinder is rated ABOVE the max pressure than the giving (14lt) will have when the transfer is being done. The filling will be quicker than from a compressor, but not as quick as when the rifle cylinder is filled, due to the volume being transferred into the 3lt so should not have heating issues. If one has to go and buy a separate filling station and connectors to do this, then I don't think it makes sense, Then rather just get a nice light weight carbon fibre 300bar cylinder. Light to carry and get alot more refills from a 300bar than a 220bar.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

That is exactly how big companies like Draeger fill cylinders. They have a bank of large cylinders that is being topped off by a compressor from time to time.

When you take your cylinder in, they just connect it to the outlet from the bank. So instead of 15-20minutes by compressor, it takes less than 5 min. Final top-up to max pressure is then done by compressor. Heating is minimal as the air has already been compressed.

In my opinion, as long as the receiving cylinder is rated the same or higher, there should be no problem. Personally I'd make up the fill station to reduce the amount of connectors and hoses.

Keep in mind I am not certified to give high-pressure air advice or make modifications to any pressure systems.
    Last edited by Jan Frederick; 08-07-18 at 06:29.

MRP

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, 6ltr is to big to carry around in a back pack. Yes the 3ltr will be rated 300bar and the 14 is 232, so the 3 ltr will never go past 220.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It must be done slowly, otherwise the 3l will heat up excessively.