Thread: LONDON OIL, WHERE CAN I GET IT IN CAPE TOWN?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default LONDON OIL, WHERE CAN I GET IT IN CAPE TOWN?

Can someone tell me where I can get London Oil in Cape Town. Also I want to put it on my AAS410 stock and my TX200 stock, can I just put it on or must I sand the stock lightly first? Also is it a good idea to do this or not? I asume I will have a gloss finish when I am finished, is this correct? Thanks Craig

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

I bought some recently at V G K Beleggings gun shop in Parow North (021 939 2391).
    It is sold as RAM London Oil in a 100ml bottel.

As to the rest of your question's, I'll leave that to those who know more than me. (about everyone else in other words)

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by craigb View Post
    Can someone tell me where I can get London Oil in Cape Town. Also I want to put it on my AAS410 stock and my TX200 stock, can I just put it on or must I sand the stock lightly first? Also is it a good idea to do this or not? I asume I will have a gloss finish when I am finished, is this correct? Thanks Craig

The Varnish on the stocks has to be removed if you want to do the London Oil trip.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

On a UK forum they always seem to recommend using a paint stripper to remove the varnish. I sanded mine down, resharpened the checkering, stained and oiled.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use nitromors to remove the varnish. Works a treat but be carefull of the stuff..it burns!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

DONT sand the varnish off...use a paint stripper!

if you sand the varnish off all the squared edges on your stock will get rounded off and the stock will look cheap and amateurish afterwards...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

paint stripper. then use acetone - then only light sanding if the stock is new, End off with 000 steelwool. Then lightly wet the stock -LIGHTLY heat and dry with hairdryer thsi will lift the broken grains- sand again with steelwool- redo 2 times. Then start with London oil- for the first 5 applications just rub it on and leave it for atleast 48 hours. Then sand lightly with steelwool to remove grime. you can also use Brasso and a piece of cloth to do this. Then you start by rubbing very smal amount into the stock with the palm of your hand till you can feel it drying. Leave then for atleast 48 hours. 6 aplications of this should be enough. If you want glossy filled finish DONT sand between layers- if it at any time gets sticky and tacky- remove the grime with a LITLLE bit of London Oil on the steelwool

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What square edges ?
    Mine came out very well. once sanded you can stain it to the tone of your choice. Looks far better than that crap varnish they insist on using