Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Air Arms) Reputation

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default (Air Arms) Reputation

I had to contemplate for quite a some time before including the manufacturer's name in this thread's title.
    However... this one has such a great name in our community, due to a long history of delivering very good, quality, reliable products.
    It's name is quoted on a daily basis as a recommendation in just about any class or discipline on this and many other airgun forums/platforms.

This brings me to my "quandary"...
    I feel that some "big name" companies are (unjustly) thriving today, only because of a reputation of years gone by...

I have, over many years, handled, used, bought, borrowed, and tried very many airguns, of as many different makes and names, from cheap unknown to universally recognised as the absolute best in it's class!!
    I think I can acknowledge the fact that some were masterpieces, works of art deserving every bit of their reputations... yet, some others, much less so...!

I have seen on numerous occasions, that the level of quality has dropped over the years (whereas price definitely not). Especially out-of-box-failures, and reliabilty issues...
    I cannot say if it is because of labour being outsourced to "cheaper" countries, or perhaps due to the fact that these products need to be produced at a specific bottom line?? Or maybe bad QC??

We have all heard of people feeling that some of the current produced Weihrauch rifles, for example, seem "lacking" compared to earlier made models!

This is also where I have to mention my own experiences with Air Arms products, hence the name of the thread...

I have bought two brand new Air Arms airguns during the past year. The first was an Alfa PCP Pistol. I received the first one a week after payment and ordering. It started leaking from the first fill, probably a very easy fix, but annoying nonetheless. Distributers/importers refused to supply a new gun and insisted on repairing...which was unsuccessful, and eventually a brand new gun was sent. (I do realise that after-sales-service is a completely unrelated point, but will include it for interest sake)
    This new pistol worked well for a few months before the cocking lever started to become loose. Eventually had to tighten it between every shot, as I did not want to use locktite for the threads, and dreaded the long wait and issues had I decided to send it away again!!
    Well, I had to replace this lever/cocking pin with a decent homemade one, because the threads on the original one was damaged beyond repair. Flaweless ever since!!

Which brings me to my next aquirement, an Air Arms MPR, also bought brand new during the same period. From day #1, I was less than impressed! Where was this legendary Air Arms quality? The "white" stock looked like cr@p, it was rough and badly finished.
    The receiver/breechblock had sharp edges and a once-over revealed more than just one loose fastening screw.
    The two barrel screws in the front barrel band were completely missing, I assumed this was because of some design changes, but cannot find any proof of anything to that effect.
    The bluing on the barrel proved to be so "thin", that after two months it started to show signs of pitting and I had to apply several applications of "cold blue" to remedy this...
    Today this rifle has also started to leak, seems like a firing valve leaking... So, yet someting more to sort out myself, as, these guns are used daily for school shooting. I can't afford to be without one of them for more than a day or two...!!

I just cannot agree that any one of these guns is a quality, reliable product from a well known company.

What are the chances?? One guy buying two (actually three) different products from the same well known company at different occasions and ALL having/giving problems???

So, is this the norm? Are we supposed to just accept this? Do we actually have another choice?
    Last edited by sirshootalot; 15-07-18 at 00:51.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I bought a 'low milage' HW97 in immaculate condition from a trustworthy person who may be a member here. Rifle so new that it was still dieselling from the factory grease. After less than a tin of pellets through it the staked rivets that fasten the underlever catch to the moderator are loose......it is not only Air Arms.....and one doesn't expect this from one of the acknowledged 'quality' brands. If they were screws I could tighten them but I don't have the means to re-stake two tiny rivets from inside a steel tube....

The HW97 still shoots straight but some of the joy is gone now....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It appears to be a common trend so I have decided that nothing out the box is OK. My Kral's stock was loose because the screw was too long. Agent thought it ok to shove some o-rings between the action and stock. The second barrel was cut twice with rifling in two directions!! Had to buy another. My Evanix leaked but the rifle was replaced, no questions asked. A friends Walther Rotex leaked from everywhere and took him ages to get sorted. Another's Weihrauch HW100 has shotgun type grouping passed 25 m. Agent says its perfect at 10 m. A Rotex I had for a week shot great but the synthetic stock looked really cheap. My FX started doing some strange things. When I removed the barrel, the sealing compound the factory used had come loose and made its way into the transfer port. What was more distressing was that the locating hole for the barrel screws was 90 degrees out. The only rifle without issues to date is a 5 year old CZ200.

So to my point, eventually. I agree that most of the manufacturers do not properly manage demand. As the requirement increases, the cannot properly cope with the production pressure and drop the quality.
    And to answer your question on choice. Our only avenue is to choose suppliers and dealers that can support until the the manufacturers can catch up. And we need to let them know that they have issues.

MRP

User Info Menu

I recently got a at44s, a entry level pcp of years back. Very impressed with machining work and brass material used! Today's entry level pcps for the same price can't be compared! Sold a few entry level rifles in the past couple of weeks and man it's like A plastic toy. Not the same as the older pcps that's got that real rifle feel to it. I guess it's what the customers want, a light weight plastic toy that shoots. Me im old school the heavier the better.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

A bigger problem is the suppliers in this country for AA .You send them email for spares via a so called agent and they do not even answer you . I order my spares now directly from overseas .They just want to sell new rifles and not back the products like they suppose to . ....but it looks like a common problem with most big name rifles or is it just the South African attitude to the consumer problem.

MRP

User Info Menu

Because they don't source parts, and having the odd part brought in is just not worth their time. It's a big issue and annoying

Protea FT Team '18
    REP: MB 3D Printing Services
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I agree.. it is not only one manufacturer, it's not even only limited to airguns, of course!
    Often these manufacturers decide to "resurrect" an old model, only to put out a very bad copy of the original, using inferior parts or other cost cutting methods...
    All this proves again my point that I believe these companies use their reputations to mislead us to keep on buying their stuff, believing we are getting the same "old" quality product that built up their reputation in the past!!

Newcomers to the market do not have this advantage, and have to work for a piece of the pie, sometimes even producing a superior product. And yet, these new guys are all too often being scoffed at as not having a premium name!

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have just finished stripping the Air Arms MPR in question above.
    I almost wish that I can say the problem was caused by a genuine worn part in need of replacing...unfortunately not!

Taking apart this rifle revealed a few more issues...
    Firstly, the small threadlocking screw with accompanying nylon ball fell out, almost being lost. The brass valve spring retainer was only held in by about two threads...another "alluminium block" used to actuate the air cylinder exhaust valve also completely loose, one of its screws turned COMPLETELY out!!
    I am sorry, I am sure this must sound as if I was abusing this poor rifle as these issues cant just be imagined!!

My question...Is this normal? From normal use? Are all their guns like this? Am I the ONLY one with this bad luck? Three times??
    I don't know...
    And, obviously, all this will happen, barely one month out of the one year warranty!!!

In the end, after many calls to more knowledgeable people, and consulting many online parts lists, the rifle is being assembled with judicial use of some blue locktite...hopefully to last a bit longer than before!!

I guess, I am just só relieved that, somehow, this rifle did not fail during the match!!

I appologise for my ranting...but I feel that these things must be reported in some way...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Babl View Post
    I have dealt with Bushill on several occasions, unfortunately sometimes leaving a sour taste in the mouth, however I do realise that many of my issues are not dealer related!
    I am in the fortunate position that I am able to work on, and sort out, most of these issues myself, though...

MRP

User Info Menu

That's it bud, if you can do it yourself why waste the money. That way you learn and know your rifle. They same has been said for daystate, these guys are mass producing and quality is going down the drain.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

i m sure somebody with a cnc can manufacture parts for us in SA.I have even told AA in UK that in South Africa there products a harmed by the attitude of their importers. .......That's a fact..........................

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Agree fully with comments re new rifle quality. I had a brand new Prosport FAC action delivered to me in SA, ordered specially from the factory. FAC probably meant something else in this case, as it shot .177 JSB 8.44gr at about 500fps, with lots of impressive FAC sound.

But this is where things get interesting. If i had bothered to take the rifle back to the trusted and well known Alberton agent at the time, he would have made a plan to set things right immediately. I never bothered, as i had what i needed from said FAC banger.
    The short grey-haired guy with the brush-cut is like that. ANY product that i have purchased from him comes with 100% customer service backing. I have Never been disapointed.

So, although i agree with SirShootalots observation,may i add the following to the fire:
    Not so long ago a certain large outdoor supply company made it their business to take the agencies for many air rifle products away from the older smaller established agents. Rosenthals and Weihrauch, Airgunwarehouse and Air-arms are good examples of this.
    At the time, everyone was in awe of the low prices on offer, and swore allegiance to the new superstore. The old official suppliers at the time were all branded as daylight robbers and crooks of the worst kind... but the truth comes out, and its ironic...

You see, all those new low-priced products were Grey Market to begin with, sold below cost, and sometimes imported IN CONTRAVENTION to signed supply agreements with the old established suppliers. Did i mention crooks?

" THIS CAN ONLY BENEFIT OUR SPORT" was thrown in your face at every turn, even on this very forum, by well known Crusaders of our sport! My, how the dog has turned... on its own customers!

Try get that small Weihrauch part you need, or the Air-arms springer service kit. Or try get your green Big Nikko/Falcon/Scope-of-the-month replaced under warranty.
    Standard answer: "oh try next month. Its on its way. But please try this other brand. Its far better, and cheaper too! May i get you some coffee with that? Let me tell you about the accuracy of this 1000fps springer at 150m "

As predicted, people now even order scopes direct from overseas. And the big superstore will soon drop those brands, because the impression is THEY NO LONGER SELL!!! If you think i am kidding, try order a special Sportsmatch one-piece adjustable mount from the new big retail shop: blank stare; promises as bottomless and sweet as the coffee you will need on your long lonesome walk, cold, bitter and empty handed back to your car...with tinted windows so nobody can see your emotional implosion.
    (sorry, had to end MY RANT with something dry and ...humerus...gnawgnaw)

Parting shots: There are two rifle suppliers in Alberton, for those new to these sports: The company i refer to IS NOT AIRGUN FANATIX, Mike 'n Peppy, etc.
    i refer to The short grey crew-cut guy who will also offer you some coffee if he likes you. And you get to share it with someone who actually can help you, but without all the toxic sweeteners...Please support him rather. This WILL benefit our sport...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bouly View Post
    i m sure somebody with a cnc can manufacture parts for us in SA.I have even told AA in UK that in South Africa there products a harmed by the attitude of their importers. .......That's a fact..........................
    If say 100 Forum Members, all send an e-mail to (Claire, i think it is, @ Air Arms) they might just sit up and take note...
    Pity about Weihrauch though. Damage is done...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hello peeps, does anyone know if airarmsspares.com - HOME in the UK is safe to purchase from?