Thread: Assistance reducing & certifying HW100 power to 12ft/lbs

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Assistance reducing & certifying HW100 power to 12ft/lbs

Hi,

I would like to have the power of my HW100S reduced to 12ft/lbs and have a certificate issued to verify the output.

Is there anyone who could assist?

I also need my HW45 certified to below 6ft/lbs output.

Thanks,

Don

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

i do not know how to tune the rifle down.

as to a certificate i have never heard of or seen one.
    you can work out the ft/lbs with the weight and speed of the pellet

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Why do you want that? Are you taking them over to the UK?

If not... a TWOT!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, I am taking them over to the UK. UK regulations require the diminished power requirements.

There is a good video on youtube Weihrauch HW100 POWER up/down Modifications and fine tuning Step by Step that describes the process of how to do it. I could do it myself if I had the inclination but was hoping I could find a gunsmith to do it and provide a certificate of sorts to validate the resultant power output.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The doing part is easy. Kevin from Airvolution is in Douglasdale so very close. The certificate may be an issue.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I suspect you may have to ultimately get a UK gunsmith to do your certificate but I could be wrong.
    Once the power levels have been reduced the rifle will need to be 'fixed so that it is tamperproof

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17/'19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    Hi,

I would like to have the power of my HW100S reduced to 12ft/lbs and have a certificate issued to verify the output.

Thanks,

Don
    Don, unless there is some sentimental value attached to these two items, you might want to consider selling them locally before departing to the UK.
    The second hand values locally should be pretty much the same as the price you would pay for new ones in the UK, have a look at http://www.airgunbuyer.com for reference.

You will be hard pressed to get any kind of certificate issued that's worth the paper it is written on, but I think your biggest concern is the tamper proof "seal" the rifles would require as Keith has said.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    I suspect you may have to ultimately get a UK gunsmith to do your certificate but I could be wrong.
    Once the power levels have been reduced the rifle will need to be 'fixed so that it is tamperproof

No Keith, there is no legal requirement for anti tamper (it's purely an industry initiative) in the UK, only certification that it is below 12 FPE is required. What can happen though is when you send your Weihrauch to Hull Cartridge for repair or service they will install AT where one is lacking. I think you are correct though, a UK RFD would have to issue the certificate of compliance for it to be valid, a ZA registered gunsmith certificate would get you through customs.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    Don, unless there is some sentimental value attached to these two items, you might want to consider selling them locally before departing to the UK.
    The second hand values locally should be pretty much the same as the price you would pay for new ones in the UK, have a look at http://www.airgunbuyer.com for reference.

You will be hard pressed to get any kind of certificate issued that's worth the paper it is written on, but I think your biggest concern is the tamper proof "seal" the rifles would require as Keith has said.

What he said. I would have said it before Tiaan, but some people have to work.... and not sit on forums...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Thanks,
    Don

Hi Don,

First off, is the HW100 a high power (FAC) version to start with?

If it is then my advice would be to leave it in SA and replace it with a 12ft.lbs version in the UK.

The reason for this is if it is manufactured specifically for high power it would be classed as a section 1 firearm under UK law and could not be declassified.

If however it is a normal power level version then get it checked over a chronograph and a certificate from a firearms dealer on headed paper should suffice.

Your HW45 should not be over 6ft.lbs anyway and is likely to have the 'F' in a pentagon marking that signifies it complies with German law whereby it does not exceed 7.5 Joules muzzle energy (5.53ft.lbs) which is compliant with UK legislation.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    but I think your biggest concern is the tamper proof "seal" the rifles would require as Keith has said.
    Anti-tamper only applies to new manufactured air rifles not second hand and is a voluntary agreement by the manufacturers, not law.

The irony is that even if AT is fitted if the rifle tests over the limit the owner is still responsible, they are not a defence in law.

None of my pcp rifles have AT in order that I can keep them legal.
    Last edited by Dale; 20-07-18 at 08:41.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the useful suggestions, I really appreciate the guidance.

To reply to some of the items above:

Yes, the HW100 is a FAC version so I'll have to convert it if I want to take it with. I will contact Airvolution and let you know how it goes.

The "certificate" is only needed to get through customs and I presume that an official letter from a gunsmith that states the output will suffice. Once in the UK, I will take it to a gunsmith for certification.

I will check for the "F" marking on the HW45 this weekend

Thanks again!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Don,

You will not be able to convert the HW100 and take it.

The rifle was built to a specification that would be a firearm in the UK and it is illegal to back convert it.

If the serial number is checked it will show it to be a high power version and no matter what you do to it subsequently it will remain a firearm in the eyes of UK law.

You will be better off selling it in SA and buying a UK legal HW100 in the UK.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Don,

You will not be able to convert the HW100 and take it.

The rifle was built to a specification that would be a firearm in the UK and it is illegal to back convert it.

If the serial number is checked it will show it to be a high power version and no matter what you do to it subsequently it will remain a firearm in the eyes of UK law.

You will be better off selling it in SA and buying a UK legal HW100 in the UK.

Damn! There goes my baby. One HW100S on sale soon.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Damn! There goes my baby. One HW100S on sale soon.
    If it's a 5.5mm with the ambi sporter stock or a thumbhole stock I could be interested