Thread: Suggestions for a gunsmith that does gun bluing for cheap

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions for a gunsmith that does gun bluing for cheap

As the title suggests I am looking for someone who could recommend a gunsmith that can do gun blueing at a reasonable price in the Pretoria area?

I asked a gunsmith close to my house and they gave me a ballpark of R1000 to R1300....

For a small airgun? I have seen threads from 2 years ago where the prices seemed to be in the region of R300 - R350.

Gun is a QB97.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Phone Controlled Surface Treatments in Boksburg. They gave me a price over the phone many years ago.Did a great job of 2 riles for me. 0119141356

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
    As the title suggests I am looking for someone who could recommend a gunsmith that can do gun blueing at a reasonable price in the Pretoria area?

I asked a gunsmith close to my house and they gave me a ballpark of R1000 to R1300....

For a small airgun? I have seen threads from 2 years ago where the prices seemed to be in the region of R300 - R350.

Gun is a QB97.
    You get what you pay for.

The gunsmith would probably send it to CST anyway. They are fantastic, and reasonably priced.

Then you need to ask...'Is this airgun worth spending money on?'.

If it's a cheap Chinese Junker...DON'T.

If it is a collector's item.... Don't! You may destroy the antique value, as it would no longer be 'original'.

If it's a family heirloom...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    You get what you pay for.

The gunsmith would probably send it to CST anyway. They are fantastic, and reasonably priced.

Then you need to ask...'Is this airgun worth spending money on?'.

If it's a cheap Chinese Junker...DON'T.

If it is a collector's item.... Don't! You may destroy the antique value, as it would no longer be 'original'.

If it's a family heirloom...
    It is a Beeman QB79, I converted it to HPA and modified the internals a bit, now this little gun shoots like a beast, at 30m I shoot 5 shots through one hole on a windless day and considering this is a sub R3000 gun, which most people believe to be crap just because it is made in China.

It was one of the first QBs to be made so this line got discontinued for a while and later picked up again. The previous owner didn't treat her well so I removed the rust, but now the finish looks horrible.

I just want to seal it so it won't rust and for it to look decent at least.

It will see a lot of shots in it's lifetime still though....

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GavinM View Post
    Phone Controlled Surface Treatments in Boksburg. They gave me a price over the phone many years ago.Did a great job of 2 riles for me. 0119141356
    Close, less or more than R1000 - R1300?

The this particular gunsmith does his blueing in the shop....

I even saw DIY blueing, it is not that difficult you just have to be precise... All it really is, is dipping your barrel in molten salts.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If I remember they did them for about R280. But a few years ago and inflation has been around. A quick call will confirm as they gave me a price over the phone and stuck to it. What they also did was anodize the aluminum parts to match the metal blueing

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GavinM View Post
    If I remember they did them for about R280. But a few years ago and inflation has been around. A quick call will confirm as they gave me a price over the phone and stuck to it. What they also did was anodize the aluminum parts to match the metal blueing
    That's really cool. I might go with them, but it is frustrating that they are all the way in Boksburg.... I don't fancy the drive from Pretoria that much.

Gave them a call and they quoted R520, I remove the parts I want blued and they will do the rest. Then I have to reassemble it.

REP: WS Airguns

User Info Menu

"Suggestions for a gun smith that does gun blueing for cheap"