Thread: Damaged Pellets

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Damaged Pellets

Hi Guys
    This is my first thread so please be gentle.
    I understand that I am sort of asking how long is a piece of string, but..
    I recently opened a tin of JSB 18s (cant remember where I bought them) and they looked like they had been dropped.
    Most where deformed and it got me thinking (I just cant throw them away)
    When is a pellet damaged beyond sensible use (not Olympics, but going to give me an obvious flyer or miss) is it head damage or skirt? The skirt I imagine "blows" out to the barrel diameter, so minor dings there should be ok.
    Any thoughts
    Regards
    Karl

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Karl,

Most of us have had a few tins like that over the years. If you are not shooting competitively with your rifle, then it is not going to matter for plinking. A 5.5 18gr packs a punch and a ranges 50 meter or less slight skirt damage is not going to matter much. The problem comes when you drop a pellet and then use it. You came scratch the inside of the barrel so never use a dropped pellet.
    Just make sure to keep your barrel and rifle clean.
    Last edited by MikeBrews; 02-08-18 at 20:46.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrews View Post
    Hi Keith,

Most of us have had a few tins like that over the years. If you are not shooting competitively with your rifle, then it is not going to matter for plinking. A 5.5 18gr packs a punch and a ranges 50 meter or less slight skirt damage is not going to matter much. The problem comes when you drop a pellet and then use it. You came scratch the inside of the barrel so never use a dropped pellet.
    Just make sure to keep your barrel and rifle clean.

Try Karl...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Not a biggy.
    Appreciate the wisdom.
    Interesting to hear the dropped pellet idea. I always was anxious that it may be grinding paste.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Some pellets have thicker skirts or harder lead compounds than others so its not a given that a bent skirt will always 'inflate' to the bore. In my experience any obvious pellet skirt deformation causes a flyer. When the head is deformed it is virtually guaranteed to be destabilised in flight because its centre of mass will no longer be on the spin axis.
    If your pellets were damaged by the tin being dropped then accuracy will be affected but they probably won't do any damage to the rifle. I would toss out any that are badly deformed just because they won't fly straight anyway.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Try a group with 10 pellets that look good, and then with 10 that are visually damaged, and draw your own conclusion. I know that at one time I would have sworn there was no difference

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys
    Now the next part.....
    I will run some through my Streamline, do you think the smooth bore part of the “Smooth twist” will have a better chance of reforming/ blowing out the skirt than a conventional rifled barrel?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Good question !!!
    no idea of the answer though

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I just give them a good blow and then a spit lube and away they go through the barrel

I haven't done a significant amount of tests but when I've been practising, I've shot pellets with rather ugly skirts at 50m targets (sub 12fpe) and the targets dropped just as often as the normal looking ones. I would not do that in a comp though

Haven't really noticed visible head damaged pellets so cannot comment on that but guess that will have a bigger influence than dented/misformed skirts.

All the best and welcome to the mad house

Quote Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
    Not a biggy.
    Appreciate the wisdom.
    Interesting to hear the dropped pellet idea. I always was anxious that it may be grinding paste.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Just shoot them and have fun, don't over think it.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

The moment you pull the trigger there is damage to the head of the pellet caused by the rifling.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Appreciate the wisdom and opinions.
    Thanks