Thread: Problems setting my scope in

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Problems setting my scope in

Hi,
    Ok so I have a gamo 3-9x40 scope, a very good scope in my opinion, only problem is it shoots to the right... the dial has been turned to it's max to the left, and I have the same problem with another scope Bushnell 3-9x50 which still shoots high even though it can't be set more down... I've played with the mounts, changed the mounts, got higher and lower mounts, made sure the stop pin is in correctly all to no avail. Then my friend has a new scope he recently mounted to his rifle which can't group shots, 2 shots close then the 3rd is wayward... the scope is mounted correctly with the stop pin in and all. So what could the be causing the issue? And how can these problems be solved?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Are these scopes mounted on springers or pcp rifles. If springers, are the scopes springer rated and are you 100% sure the barrels are not bent.
    Regarding the third case you mentioned....clean the barrel thoroughly and then check again.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes they all springer rated, and no the barrels are fine... although I will try cleaning the barrels, I haven't done that yet

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I think you should consider shimming the mounts. Best is X-ray plastic but aluminium from a coke can works as well

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How do I shim the scope?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Follow this thread
    Shimming for noobs... how it helps... ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Or go to buy yourself adjustable mounts.

Seeing you are in Cartonville, get hold of Keith Tequin on the forum as he is also from the metropolis of Carltonville
    Last edited by MikeBrews; 05-08-18 at 08:32.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Erm.... nobody has asked what rifle this scope is on.

What rifle is the scope on?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The scopes that couldn't adjust more left was on a Hatsan 95 gas ram, the 1 that can't adjust more up was on a mod95 springer and the 1 shooting all over is on the 95 springer too

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kw2112 View Post
    The scopes that couldn't adjust more left was on a Hatsan 95 gas ram, the 1 that can't adjust more up was on a mod95 springer and the 1 shooting all over is on the 95 springer too
    Therein lies the problem.

Before considering the scope, one must consider one's skill level with a powerful, heavily-recoiling spring gun, with (I assume), a non-match (but fully-adjustable) trigger. There is a reason that those rifles are sold with open sights. I always maintained (as a springer enthusiast) that one should always rather ask the question 'Is the rifle SCOPE-RATED' rather than the converse standard of questioning the robustness of the scope and mounts.

The accuracy level one can expect to achieve is (at an educated guess), around 65% - where the benchmark from an (A-grade) Air Arms TX would be 100%.

Quality of manufacturing too may be an issue. I have seen scope dovetail machining on 'B-grade' rifles that would make anyone's eyes bleed. QC in lower end rifles is/has always been erratic. I stand to be corrected on this. Check the scope rail/mount platform for fit and quality.

So... remove the scope and shoot open sights for a bit. Have someone else also shoot the rifle without a scope. Then compare the results of the same process with a scope.

Being a break-barrel too, the tolerances and quality have to be spot on at the hinge. There is a reason that the sights are generally mounted on the barrel. Imagine the amplified problems of compounded quality issues between barrel hinge and scope rail! My brain has just hemorrhaged!

Good luck!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I understand and agree fully with what u saying, but the problem with the scopes that can't adjust more is a new problem for both scopes, for example the gamo 3-9x40 was on the Hatsan 95 springer and the gun was my favourite to shoot with because of its accuracy... but now even when put back on that same gun I can't adjust it... is it possible the dial just isn't working (although I hear it clicking when I turn it)

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Test the scope by putting it on a pcp and see if it still tracks properly and can be zero'd as normal. That way you'll know if the scope has been damaged or if there is another problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kw2112 View Post
    I understand and agree fully with what u saying, but the problem with the scopes that can't adjust more is a new problem for both scopes, for example the gamo 3-9x40 was on the Hatsan 95 springer and the gun was my favourite to shoot with because of its accuracy... but now even when put back on that same gun I can't adjust it... is it possible the dial just isn't working (although I hear it clicking when I turn it)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ok thanks Keith, I'll try that tomorrow... I recall something about the damaged or loose stock causing scope inaccuracies... but to what extent does the stock effect the accuracy

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If the loose stock is causing the rifle to cant a bit it could cause inconsistency. See
    https://www.riflescopelevel.com/cant_errors.html

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

~ Air Rifle SA Forums

On a more serious note; sounds like one of your rifles killed 2 scopes. You usually get what you pay for.

As for a loose action in a stock; it doesn't cause scope inaccuracy, it causes rifle inaccuracy. If the action moves under recoil, the action does not return to its usual position, changing the point of impact from shot to shot.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I think your right Jan, the scopes gave me good value for money though. That was a very insightful link on cant errors too Gavin