Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air pistol for self defence

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Air pistol for self defence

Would it be useful to buy an air pistol for self defense purposes? What damage will one be able to do ( @ around 500 fps ) at a range of say 5 to 10m? Will it penetrate relative thick clothing / jacket etc?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Swako koop n Kruisboog, dit sal defnitief klere penetreer. Onthou as jy n "airpistol" rig op iemand, kan hulle jou nog aankla van "rig van n vuurwapen" Op die oomblik is n kruisboog nog nie teen die wet om te gebruik nie. Weet nie vir hoe lank voor dit wet is nie.

Maak net seker dat jou lewe regtig bedreig is, die bliksems draai vandag sommer om en maak n saak van aanranding teen jou.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

They're purely for shock/pain value. At worst you can blind someone with them.

Problem is... You raise someone with a .177 and he might call you with 9mm.
    Last edited by blankster; 14-07-08 at 19:01.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Don't even try airpistol for that purpose. If the other guy mistake it for a real one and he has a real one, you are going to be in big trouble.
    Even with a real gun you never pull it out unless you are really prepared to shoot - meaning to cause substantial damage. With airpistol the chances are against you to cause any damage.
    Last edited by swordfish; 14-07-08 at 20:04.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Paintball gun with pepperballs and/or ceramic balls is a much better self defense weapon. The chances are small that you will kill someone, but they can make him consider carrying on! As with all of these - as said before - the risk is that he pulls out a 9mm! I was accidently shot as a youngster with a .22 and very little damage was done (apart from a healthy fear of people pointing guns at me!).

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Swako no!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

get a paint ball pistoll with pepper balls they heart like sh!t

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

All you will do is piss the guy off also they are not that reliable

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

use airpistol for self-defence might cause big damage to --------- yourself. the power it producing might only able get criminal excited enough to hurt you... use a pepper spray might work better in this case...

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

A tragic incident occurred at Durban Deep Rifle Range in Roodepoort yesterday.

A well known dentist was robbed of his pistol and killed in the process.

Please let this be a warning to us all to be ultra carefull when practising our sport.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think what weapon you use is less important than how you use it. An air pistol in skilled hands is worth more than an ak in spraying lead and missing. So regardless of what you use, train yourself with it and make sure you can hit your target, even when under extreme stress.
    Who knows, two pellets in the face might just win you the time it takes to cover the few yards to your attacker or to a safety gate. Who cares if you're pissing him off? You have no reason to believe he's going to let you live anyway...

If an air pistol is all I have, that's what Ill use.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the moment you pull out that air pistol the confrontation escalates to a new level and if the assailant is armed he will shoot you..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that they are more often than not high on booze, tik, grass etc. and that an air pistol will have minimal effect on them (unless you are lucky or have enough time to hit them on where it will do damage)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The only down thing about air pistols, I think, is that the canister don't last if you leave it for a few days. If you can get 5 or 8 shots off, into somebodies face(eyes) at 5-10m and 500Ft/sec he will hopefully forget about his 9mm. and clear out. I stick to what I said before. "If I find somebody in my house at a funny hour of the night or day that don't belong there I will shoot the bastard and answer the questions later." I feel it is much better than throwing a bit of sand or rose pebbles onto my wife or daughter's coffin because I hesitated to react to what I perceived to be dangerous.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

MMP,
    Condolences to the family of the deceased dentist.
    It just shows you how arrogant these spooks are. To rob somebody at a shooting range is the top of arrogance. I've heard before that they watch until your fire arm is empty before they attack. It is always better to keep a second loaded fire arm out of sight or never to be alone on the range due to the location of most shooting ranges.