Thread: Hatsan BT65 questions

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Hatsan BT65 questions

Ok so I can get a Hatsan BT65 4.5mm for a very good price (owner wants to get rid of something he inherited and knows nothing about). So if anyone with has/had the same rifle could you please give me some info on the rifle? I'm particularly interested in accuracy at 60m and upwards and what max effective range I can expect, what grain pellets it likes, how thirsty it is ect anything you feel is relevant. I'm clueless when it comes to this rifle, in fact I had never heard of it until now so any input will be much appreciated

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Apart from the Rear Bolt Turkish Walnut version being my wet dream of air rifles, its an AT44 that went to a private school. Same sights, same trigger, same receiver, same magazine, same barrel. Now here's where she gets better, the stock is fully adjustable and she's got a bigger air tube so your shot count should be 70ish with 45-50 usable shots.

The cons are:
    1) Its a Hatsan, don't expect FX Impact accuracy and adaptability.
    2) No regulator, fit a Huma set at 95-100bar and call it quits. Your shot string will be 70 shots at 1000fps
    3) Whatever Hatsan advertises its stated speed at, add 10%. They're wild out of the box so it needs a tune(Hence the Huma).
    4) They need a seal service every year.

Pros:
    1)Not pellet fussy. I've used R65 Gamo's and R180 JSB and they group enough to drop the same targets on and HFT course.
    2)Dual scope rail so you can slap practically any style of optic you want.
    3)Simple magazine design that isn't prone to jamming or double loading.
    4)Seals are metric size. Get yourself one of those o-ring boxes from Midas and you're good for a lifetime

Accuracy at 50m is R5 size give or take a flyer, but try to go for the heavier side of pellets. Not JSB Beast heavy, but 10gr-13gr will do just fine. They really are fantastic jack of all trades rifles neither excelling or doing poorly in any style be it PC, FT, HFT, BR etc

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Thomas... at R2800 I think it's a steal ? Or are they problematic?

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

At R2800 I wouldn't think twice. Think about what you can get for that. Not even an Artemis PR900w is that cheap.

Second hand AT44's sell for R4000+, the BT65 market is lacking as we never really got then here. I've to date not had a single problem with my Hatsan. Its such a simple design that a monkey with a rag and a 13mm spanner could work on it.

A new BT65 QE retails for R12k and that's before import duties kill you on the rest. Personally, I'd buy a Huma or similar first and then replace all the o-rings while you've got the cylinder off as the whole action is open already and those o-rings are going to be harder than a priest at a playground. All in you're looking at R5000 tops for the rifle, reg and seals. Not a bad deal in my book. But seeing as I don't have pictures, I can't be the judge. The synth stock is great for lugging it through the bush although the Turkish walnut is exceptionally pretty.

But that's my 10c. Use it or not. The choice is your's at the end of the day.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well I was bargaining on looking for pcp around 6000 so it's well within my reach... this is the synthetic stock... but it has no scope, silencer ect, it's literally just the rifle (as you would expect for the price). I was thinking instead of getting a silencer, I'd rather like a muzzle break or compensator type muzzle, where will I get something like that, for the bt65?

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I'd reckon get the rifle first and fire a few rounds. With now shrouding on the barrel, you might find she barks a bit. If it does whip crack like a .22 rimfire, go ahead and fit a silencer. If not, then a muzzle brake like on a Cometa Fusion would look the business.