Thread: Weihrauch HW50 M/II | Review

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Weihrauch HW50 M/II | Review

Weihrauch HW50 M/II

The HW50S/99s is a popular air rifle due to its lower weight/size for the power output.
    I could not justify purchasing one as I already own a HW35 which would always be my preferred choice.
    The local Weihrauch agents are closing down and I managed to obtain the HW50 M/II at a very good price. The date of manufacture dates it to 2009 and is the older stock version. The rifle was new in the box and had never been fired.
    The front trigger guard/stock screw was missing as marked on the box . I was informed that it had been given to a customer who lost his from an HW50S and the agents intended to replace the screw but never got “ around tuit “ .
    So first thing was to find a 7mm*32mm screw , I could only find a bolt so turned the bolt head into a screw head sized to fit into the trigger guard recess

While the action was out the stock I checked the spring lube, cocking arm roller and slot lube. All good, lots of fresh lube in the right places. Gave the linkages and barrel pivot a little lube The HW50 M/II is fitted with the “Perfekt” trigger which has a central safety and this can also be reset After a barrel clean again lots of transport grease. I fired some felt cleaning pellets backed up by 10.34 gn JSB pellets. No dieseling.
    The stock is well finished with a darker spot on the cheek swell not as obvious as seen in the photo. The bluing is dark and even on barrel and cylinder.
    The rifle is very light for the power output and recoils more due to this. However use the artillery hold , follow though well and you will get good results.
    The Perfekt trigger is a lot different from the Record in feel. It has a stiffer first stage and then less pressure on the second stage.
    I measured the trigger pull at a very consistent 3.7 lbs.

I had no problem getting a good five shot group at 10m with open sights. The more I shoot it the better it gets.
    The front globe sight is a fixed post so I replaced it with one from my HW80 as the post is a bit thick for my liking.

Setting up the Shooting Chrony indoors due the weather. I recorded an Average Velocity of 770fps and ES of 8 fps, ME of 11.1 ft/lbs using JSB 8.44 gn
    I have read that the HW 50 can be rather stiff to cock but I find it smooth and moderate for the power output.
    I do not find the rifle hold sensitive or difficult to shoot accurately as the trigger is very crisp and consistent once you get used to its higher pressure.
    Sure a Record is a much better
    trigger due to having a better feel and being adjustable to your liking.
    Who would buy an HW50 M/II; almost nobody as the HW50s is only a couple of hundred rand more
    So is it an almost “Perfekt” HW50. If you can get one at a reasonable price , Yes.

Weihrauch HW50 M/II
    Last edited by Mercury; 19-08-18 at 15:21.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yumyum ... looks good enough to eat. Such a classic beauty. I actually found that I physically had to wipe some drool out of my beard.

Thank you ever so much for sharing this shooting ¤¤¤¤ with us Mercury

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments Outoppie how about a detailed write up of how you tuned your Stoeger A30 for the DIY section.
    I for one would be very interested

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Thanks for the comments Outoppie how about a detailed write up of how you tuned your Stoeger A30 for the DIY section.
    I for one would be very interested
    I am afraid I have to decline that request, however tempting it might be Mercury. My sense of responsibilty overcomes the temptation. I will explain my hesitation

Not just Stoeger but generally Chinese products are not Weihrauchs or Walthers that have regulated and consistantly high standard of production. They vary widely and a standard DIY baseline for them does not exist.

A given DIY "fix" might even make a particular example worse than it was.(I would be devastated if that were to happen)

Each one has to be assessed as a "unique" product to determine how to improve them to perform for the Individual's intended purpose eg. shooting dots on paper or animated targets or self defence etc.... Very different tuning parameters for each.

So that being said, they are such that they can generally be improved a lot because the basics are surprisingly sound. I was pleasantly surprised what I got for the price. Just love it now.

With too much time on my hands I would however be prepared to undertake such assessments and improvements for Individuals who do have Chinese or similar products which they need tuned for a more specific application than General Plinking.
    Thank you very much for making me aware that ¤¤¤¤ is a Verboten word in this Blog. I am also generally a stickler for the Rules.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Weihrauch HW50 M/II

I realized that to do justice to the HW50 M/II I would have to fit a scope so I purchased a basic Nikko Stirling 4x32AO scope.
    Now I can see my target much better and after setting up the zero at 17m I managed to shoot a good group.
    Doubt that I can better this even with my Rekord trigger Weihrauch air rifles. Whoever assembled this rifle did a good job
    as it is a smooth shooter.
    Last edited by Mercury; 01-09-18 at 15:15.

Marksman

User Info Menu

What a gorgeous air rifle!
    If I had the money , there would be far too many air guns in my house......and powder burners too