Thread: New Member Advice

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default New Member Advice

Hi

Like most of us Iím reliving my childhood except I can nowafford the toys out of reach of a 10 year oldÖlol.

I want to try Benchrest 25 yards and 50 yards (not sure ifwe measure it in meters in SA). I currently donít own any equipment but havebeen looking at some options and need some advice. From what I understand thepower limit is 12ft/lb.

I donít want to spend stupid money but Iíve been told that Iídneed to spend around R40000-00 (Rifle, Scope, Gauges etc) to get some half decent equipment.

Iím going to visit Northcliff Shooting range on Thursday to chat to some of the members and hopefully try out some rifles 😊

Iíve looked at the FX Crown / Impact and the Air Arms 400Ö

I generally get quite competitive (obsessive compulsive) and donít want to keepupgrading (I know this might be impossible).

So the question is what Rifle and Scope would I need to compete at ďClub LevelĒ?

Denton
    Last edited by DCSA; 28-08-18 at 15:50.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

25m & 50m.

Two classes in formal benchrest; LV and HV - 12 FPE and 20 FPE respectively. The informal shoots might have different power limits depending on the format they decide to shoot.

If you are only going use the airgun for BR a S400 with a fixed focal length high mag scope (such as a Weaver T36) will suffice. You will probably want a stock that suits the exigencies of BR and that usually means custom manufacture. If your ability matches your competitive streak then you will be looking for the likes of used Theobens, Steyrs, RAW TM1000s, Atom etc.

The forum library contains a decent primer on local benchrest: https://www.airrifle.co.za/library/A...uth_Africa.pdf

* The so called "Extreme Benchrest - (EBR)", 75 yards and over, is a licenced event that belongs to Precision Airgun Distribution (the holding company of AOA) and as such these events cannot be held without their consent and a fee being paid. I have yet to see one held outside of the annual AOA event in Arizona.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will read the suggested posts.

One question: What rifle/s would you suggest for the 20 FPE class?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DCSA View Post
    Hi

Like most of us I’m reliving my childhood except I can nowafford the toys out of reach of a 10 year old…lol.

I want to try Benchrest 25 yards and 50 yards (not sure ifwe measure it in meters in SA). I currently don’t own any equipment but havebeen looking at some options and need some advice. From what I understand thepower limit is 12ft/lb.

I don’t want to spend stupid money but I’ve been told that I’dneed to spend around R40000-00 (Rifle, Scope, Gauges etc) to get some half decent equipment.

I’m going to visit Northcliff Shooting range on Thursday to chat to some of the members and hopefully try out some rifles 

I’ve looked at the FX Crown / Impact and the Air Arms 400…

I generally get quite competitive (obsessive compulsive) and don’t want to keepupgrading (I know this might be impossible).

So the question is what Rifle and Scope would I need to compete at “Club Level”?

Denton
    Perhaps you should widen your horizons before making a final decision on just bench shooting.

If you are hyper-competitive, perhaps look at Field Target first. It encompasses all the chllenges that bench offers, and more.

More so, you can shoot bench rest with a FT rifle, but you would struggle to do the same at FT with a dedicated bench gun.

Also, the guys that shoot Ft are far nicer and have far more interesting things to talk about, as long as they revolve around beer, weed and pu.... sorry... ensuring that society develops in a positive direction while mitigating the Coriolis effect on the rise or fall of the Souf Effriken Ront!

See you on Thursday at NC! Bring a sixpack of Zamalek, otherwise nobody will answer your questions.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sorry for hijacking here. But what time does the NC club stay open till Blud? On Fridays and Saturdays particularly? You can try my Hatsan AT44 out DC. She does fine for 25m BR with a 4x mag, even if the PEARC guys reckon they can't see the targets at that distance with my kit

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The_Thomas View Post
    Sorry for hijacking here. But what time does the NC club stay open till Blud? On Fridays and Saturdays particularly? You can try my Hatsan AT44 out DC. She does fine for 25m BR with a 4x mag, even if the PEARC guys reckon they can't see the targets at that distance with my kit

Thursdays the guys stat arriving at around 1PM. I generally get there at around 3. Last guy leaves when they are full or the fridge is empty.

I generally only go on Thursdays. Mark_F will be able to give you more accurate info on the other days. Saturdays and Sundays it's pretty active. Fridays active esp. when there is an FT league shoot on the Saturday.

If you leave PE at around 2 in the AM you should get there at a decent time.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Welcome!

In my opinion, buying a high end rifle in your budget so early on in your air rifle journey would be a mistake, there are so many good rifles out there that itís easy to be confused by the choice. Some good rifles would be steyr, air arms, daystate, RAW, weihrauch. As blud says donít limit yourself to one discipline either. I would recommend attending a few different shoots and try a few rifles out.

My personal advice would be to buy a good quality second hand rifle from one of the trusted forum members, so when you decide to get a different rifle you wonít lose an arm and a leg on the trade in.

This is probably contentious as well but I would start out with a springer before moving to a pcp rifle. Spend a few evenings browsing this forum and it will give you a great idea of what is involved.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Going against my own advice - this looks like a nice rifle at a fair price [FOR SALE] Air Arms Pro-Target FT 4.5mm ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

but most importantly, if possible try before you buy and check out the grouping if possible.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies and advice...I will certainly bring a six pack or 2 on Thursday.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HawkI View Post
    Going against my own advice - this looks like a nice rifle at a fair price [FOR SALE] Air Arms Pro-Target FT 4.5mm ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

but most importantly, if possible try before you buy and check out the grouping if possible.

...but, dealing with the current owner
    Lol

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

new competitive members always welcome at NC....

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    If your ability matches your competitive streak then you will be looking for the likes of used Theobens, Steyrs, RAW TM1000s, Atom etc.
    ... Walther, Thomas, Air Arms, ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow at NC...Thanks once again for all the posts.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had a fantastic afternoon at NC Club yesterday...Thanks to all the members.

HOWEVER this HOBSESSION might force me to buy all the rifles tested yesterday!!

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Awesome meeting you too Denton.

Yes, we did all notice the drool, the glassy 1000-yard stare and the swelling of your package once you had seen what was available.

No worries... it happened to us all.

Remember... a Steyr costs R10000 and you can get your money back when you sell it. That's what you tell those in command when they have the standard 'WTF!!!' moment.

Oh.... repeat after me... 'I love Zamalek...I love Zamalek...I love Zamalek!'