Thread: Help needed choosing a starter pcp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Help needed choosing a starter pcp

Hi all.

I was hoping to get a bit of advise from the more knowledgeable air rifle community as to what would be a cheap yet good pcp rifle to start off with.

I haven't been shooting for quite some time and would really like to get back into it. I would like something for both target shooting and possibly the odd bit of PC.

My two choices are both in the R3500 brand new bracket. The Artemis Pw900 in 5.5mm and the Beeman Qb Chief also in 5.5mm.

I have searched high and low for a comparison of the two but can never find the two put head to head. If anyone with any experience in either of the two and possibly both could share their thoughts,I would really appreciate the advice given.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have/had these rifles, at one stage or the other.

I liked and enjoyed both, in .177 caliber. The PR900W had, perhaps, only slightly more power out of the box, but the Discovery(Beeman), has a larger air capacity, so more shots, theoretically...
    My PR900W gives a (very) little better accuracy IMO.

Personally, I find both easy to work on, but the PR900W the easiest. The Discovery is a little bit heavier and longer...

Keep in mind, your experience may not mirror mine, exactly!

I hope this helps...

Marksman

User Info Menu

HI,

I have the pr900w in 5.5mm.

A very capable rifle for the price,
    Pros and cons
    1. Nice and light to carry on long walks
    2. Shot count a bit low, but for pc in the field you do not relly need more.
    3. Trigger not great, but can be tuned some to work better.
    4. Single or multi-shot, nice to have.
    5. Accurate if you shoot within the limits of the rifle, approx 15 shots will hit the same spot (more or less) at 30+ metres. (meaning no or very little vertical POI shift)

There are most probably more accurate, more expensive, better looking rifles you could buy. But nothing i know of that is cheaper or the same price that could do what this rifle is capable of.
    You could buy a qb 79 and spend quite a bit more to convert it to hpa etc. etc, or rather spend the money on a scuba tank and fill station for the pr900w.

It all still comes down to what is accurate for you compared to someone else's 'accurate'. As well as what you want to spend and what you intend to do with your rifle.

Choices, choices
    Good luck with your decision

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Without going into too much detail... the high level opinion on what to buy.

You would be looking at getting something a little more versatile than a 5.5 rifle.

Rather go for a 4.5.

Plinking, Targets an PC are all taken care of. Cheaper ammo and it gets the job done.

Beware the cheaper rifles. They are literally hit or miss (pun intended) when it comes to barrel quality. This is important if you are going to be doing PC. You MUST hit where you aim.

If you are a power junkie (as most noobs are), then you need to re-look your objectives. Accuracy over 'hitting power', 'knock down power', 'penetration' - and any other marketingspeak ANY day of the week.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Without going into too much detail... the high level opinion on what to buy.

You would be looking at getting something a little more versatile than a 5.5 rifle.

Rather go for a 4.5.

Plinking, Targets an PC are all taken care of. Cheaper ammo and it gets the job done.

Beware the cheaper rifles. They are literally hit or miss (pun intended) when it comes to barrel quality. This is important if you are going to be doing PC. You MUST hit where you aim.

If you are a power junkie (as most noobs are), then you need to re-look your objectives. Accuracy over 'hitting power', 'knock down power', 'penetration' - and any other marketingspeak ANY day of the week.
    I am in agreement
    Choose a 4.5
    Go for a CZ200, I best buy I ever did (thanks to Henry)
    Great for plinking, target, PC
    good luck with your choice
    J